Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-06, 10:48 PM   #1
GorillaWarfare
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Rod Actions for Deep Diving Cranks

My buddy that I fish tourneys with wanted to know what you guys thought were good rods for deep diving crank set ups. He currently uses a 6'6" MH action rod. He was thinking of going to a 7 footer but wanted to know what action he should look for. I believe he was looking to spend around $50 or so. In case you are wondering why he just doesn't join and ask himself he is sadly without an internet connection. Thanks in advance.

Nick
GorillaWarfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-06, 11:12 PM   #2
basser087
BassFishin.Com Member

I'd get a medium action rod for crankbaits. Finwick makes an excellent rod called the Venture it's like $49.99 at Wal Mart.
basser087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-06, 11:46 PM   #3
basstech

Md. hvy. is not an action, it is a power rating. "Action" refers to the limberness or stiffness of the rod from the tip down. Moderate, fast, extra fast...those are actions. Medium also is a power rating. Rods for crankbaiting are very subjective, what one angler likes another angler won't, What rod "works best for" whatever, is an individual thing, partially based on bias due to an experience an angler has with a particular set up. Understanding what works best for you is best figured out by understanding what is not working for you with what you have now.
Old 01-30-06, 11:48 PM   #4
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'm with 07-medium action. I use 3: 2 6-6 AllStar GT2s for smaller cranks and lipless baits, and a Falcon Low Rider 7' cranking rod for the big baits like a DD22. All three are composite-graphite butt with a glass tip.
Old 01-31-06, 05:54 AM   #5
zooker

with the really big lipped crank baits 90% of the medium rods don't have the back bone to throw them well. i say 7 footer diffantly if you throw lighter baits go with a medium. but if you are going to throw poes,dt10-16,dd22,ect..alot you will need the mh rod.it also helps on wear and tear these big baits put on you..

zooker
Old 01-31-06, 09:40 AM   #6
WIbassfisherman

Just thought I'd add to the confusion. I use a 7' MH but it's a graphite/glass mix. Fast tip with nice back bone. Doesn't wear on you when throwing all day for deep bass and the tip is forgiving as you won't rip hooks out of the fish's mouth upon hook up. Great for casting distance as well. Look on BPS or Cabela's for crankin' sticks.
WIbassfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-06, 07:21 PM   #7
fishn'fool
BassFishin.Com Member

When I use any crank bait from a 5' diver to a norman d22 I use a 7' medium light rod with a fast action. The 7' ML rod can really load up when you cast a big crank bait which can get a you a few extra feet in your cast. But a medium 6.5-7' rod would be great too.
Old 01-31-06, 08:45 PM   #8
rrw4258
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

i use a shimano fx series rod for all of my crankbaits and spinnerbaits... best thing is that they are only 12.99 at a meijer's store!!

Ryan
Old 01-31-06, 09:33 PM   #9
JB

I am probably the oddball on this one, but I like my 5ft 6 inch med. rod for crankbaits, and also jerkbaits..I also throw with the 6-6med. heavy , but I just like some of the advantages of the shorter rod..easier for me to side arm, and also not so long that the rod tip hits the water on jerkbait-jerking..
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-06, 09:40 PM   #10
Fish On

Send a message via AIM to Fish On

I like an emerald rod 6.5 ft long med heavy. The rod sells for 50 dollars and is super light. It is one of the most sensitive rods out there.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.