Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-06, 09:15 AM   #1
scrap
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default senkos, five inch plastic worm, etc

went fishing yesterday, did not catch anything, i didnt think i would, so i didnt, dunno if that goes hand in hand. however, when i cast out, should i just let the worm sink to the bottom and sit for minutes or work it back to me. do you think letting it sit and waiting would be the best approach during cold weather. i was bank fishing on the potomac river in maryland.
any thoughts?
scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-06, 09:35 AM   #2
WIbassfisherman

I like to use senkos on pieces of target cover (that I can see). I will cast it out and let it slowly sink to the bottom. I'll give it a jiggle or two at the most, but I don't work it back to the boat. I pull it out and cast at cover again.

On the Potomac right now, since it's tidal water, I'd concentrate on fishing times as much as techniques. You want to fish the 1st hour of incoming and the last two hours of outgoing in a certain area. The lowest points of the tide will have the water low and the fish concentrated in most areas. They bunch up and this is especially true in cold water this time of year. I'd use maybe a C-Rig with a large tungsten sinker to cover water. This technique will catch you fish, but also the big tungsten weight will serve as a "feeler" for you on the bottom and you can note bottom composition changes (silt or muck changed to gravel or rock, etc.) A tight wobble crankbait will do this for you as well if you slowly pull it along the bottom. The bonus is you'll find irregularities that hold those bunched up fish and might catch one. If and when you do catch one or find these irregularities, I'd pitch back in there with a jig-n-pork trailer or the senko a couple times to get them feeding.

Good luck!
WIbassfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-06, 06:36 PM   #3
Fishie
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Probably were not fishing the right locations.
Old 01-31-06, 06:58 PM   #4
scrap

okey dokey
scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-06, 09:02 AM   #5
striker23

Send a message via AIM to striker23

scrap, i went bank fishing on the potomac a couple of weeks ago, i tried a 7" worm, plastic crabs, and some rat-l-taps. i didnt have any luck either. the potomacs banks are quite shallow and rocky, the incline isnt very steep at all. i would say you would have a much better day if you went out in a boat on the potomac. i saw some really nice spots, but by bank fishing, you are really limited. also this time of year the potomacs banks arent exactly teeming with life so i would expect the fish to be in other parts of the river, perhaps around the many islands that are in the middle of the river.
striker23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.