Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-06, 11:24 AM   #1
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default BuzzBait ideas and thoughts

Being a very specialized type of bait a buzzbait is very limited as to its use. It is not a lure that can be used every day. It is not a lure for every situation. The time and place to use a buzzbait is very specific. When a buzzbait works. It WORKS!!
Understanding what makes a buzzbait work is critical to using it successfully. By this I am referring to understanding the buzzbait physically and technically and understanding what about the buzzbait produces bass bites.
The most common form of buzzbait is found with a wire form that holds the blade over the head of the lure. The wire form is attached to a hook inside a lead head. Some kind of skirt is attached to the lead head. Here is what happens. The lead head allows the lure to be casted. The lead head also holds the hook under water. The blade makes a fuss on top. The skirt looks good. (Buzzbaits will work without a skirt and will cast better.) On some manufactures type of buzzbait the blade is made to hit the head creating an aluminum on lead hitting sound. This adds to the noise. Properly tuned buzzbaits will squeek as the blade rotates on the wire form.
Buzzbaits work best when presented around or near cover. They work best when the weather is a real mess. When the weather is cloudy, thundery, and water is coming down, that is when buzzbaits tend to work very well. During the spawn and right after the spawn. Put all that into combination and you have real prime buzzbait time. In the fall when bass are more aggressive buzzbaits work. On really hot, and still days, when nothing is moving- not even the bass; it is possible to get a monster bass to strike a buzzbait.
Very specific times and places are the opportunity to catch bass on buzzbaits. All I can emphasize is that buzzbaits have a place in every bass anglers arsnel. The perfect times are not many. When the perfect times come the angler needs to be prepared.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-06, 12:00 PM   #2
JB

Just wanted the gang to steer back into bass ideas here, any comments are appriciated.

Last edited by JB; 01-23-06 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-23-06, 12:07 PM   #3
Futurepro22
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to Futurepro22

Great Info on buzzbaits and jigs!!!
Futurepro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-06, 12:29 PM   #4
Wishing2BFishing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

JB, I agree. Based on my experience with buzzbaits, it is either hit or miss. If they are working, they are working. There have been times when the buzz was working in the morning. As soon as it warmed up, the buzzbait bite turned off.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-06, 12:33 PM   #5
JB

I know for some reason last year I couldn't get off using the buzzbait.. it really produced a lot of 15-16 inch fish..its odd because I used to always rate the popR first in my topwater arsenal, now looking back the Spook and buzzbait were king for me last year, I wonder if it had to do with clearer water?....I always used to think that in clear water the fish got to good of a look at the bait..but its like everything else in bassfishing , so many variables involved..
Old 01-23-06, 01:15 PM   #6
Christopherkeene9

Wow I use the buzzbait too much. Everytime I go early in the morning that is the first thing thrown!! And it usually catches fish everytime, not even fishing it near cover. but when around cover the bigger fish bit.

Chris
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-06, 01:48 PM   #7
Wishing2BFishing

JB, you mentioned "so many variables". Sometimes I think I can explain why a fish isn't hitting my lure, other times, I have no idea. One thing is certain when I go fishing . . . whatever worked well the year before at a particular lake or river is not going to work this year. I can't stand it. I find a lure that works well for a whole season and then the following year, it stinks.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-06, 01:49 PM   #8
bassthumb32
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

I Use A Buzzbait All The Time My #1 Bait. I Caught So Many Fish This Past Year On It. I Never Used Them Much Before. But As Far As Them Only Working Once In A While I Can Only Think Of 4 Outings All Last Year That I Didnt Catch A Bass On A Buzzbait.
Old 01-23-06, 06:41 PM   #9
bassnman30

As far as buzzbaits, check out Boogerman baits. They ride true each and every time. Tryed alot of other brands, but they "normally" had a tendency of laying to one side.
Just ask Zooker.
Old 01-23-06, 06:50 PM   #10
JB

I'm always bending the wire on my buzzbait especially after a hit or clunking into some structure, if I notice its not riding on top or going to the left or right . I always try to align the top wire with the blade to the hook down below.
Old 01-23-06, 07:33 PM   #11
KH.

number one bait for me in the 2006 season, and its winter!!
Old 01-23-06, 08:01 PM   #12
lizardsrule

JB,

I love my twin prop buzzbaits. I use a Buzzbait probably more than I use a Spinnerbait. I feel they will work anytime you can get a Bass to react and it's near cover. I have had them also work in the middle of the lake while the bass where schooling on shad. I have one tied on evertytime out now that I'm down south. I do have to tune mine quite often also, but it's worth it for the fish they produce. A wht/chart one tied me for 9th in the BFL at Tanner's Creek in the Gravel pit north of tanners on the west side of the river

Lizards
Old 01-23-06, 08:17 PM   #13
zooker

#1 place i have found that a buzzer rules is if the lake is flooded. you would be amazed at how little water big bass will hold in. that is my first choice for bugs island if the buck brush is flooded. and as bassnman said booygeeman are the best running buzzer i have found ..

2 blades on the prop will make the buzzer work faster than 3-5 blades on a prop. a prop with a ball or bullet in front of it comes thruogh weeds better than one with out it.
early prespawn tends to be my favorite time to throw them -right thru/over/round lilly pads..

lizzy
i have several 4 prop 3 blades per prop buzzer's

zooker
Old 01-23-06, 08:31 PM   #14
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker

lizzy
i have several 4 prop 3 blades per prop buzzer's

zooker
I bought 2 of the Hart 4 Prop models, and gave them away after 30 minutes of using one of them. The skirt constantly got caught up in the props Good idea, horrible design

Lizards
Old 01-23-06, 10:17 PM   #15
bassinbob

The buzz-bait used to be my #1 bait. Now it's the horny toad. Don't get me wrong I still use the buzz but I'll start with the toad. Either gets my heart thumping when they explode on it. Anyone see the new type of buzz with a downward angled hook. I forget where I read about it. It is supposed to increase your hook-up ratio. Sounds like a good idea to me. I might even try bending a hook down on one of those cheap wall mart buzzes to see if there is a difference.

Bob
Old 01-24-06, 08:31 AM   #16
Patrick Krueger, Jr.

I want to get the titanium wire ones from Terminator and some Leverage ones too. Anyone use either of these?

I'm just scared to spend so much on these types of topwaters that sink and I can't just swim for them.
Old 01-25-06, 11:04 AM   #17
bassthumb32

Krueger Get Lunker Lure. Much Cheaper And Much Better.
Old 01-25-06, 11:42 AM   #18
JB

On those lunker lures, do you keep the minnow and tailspinner on that ?
Or do you put a grub on it for a trailer?
Old 01-25-06, 12:50 PM   #19
BassAddict

I love a buzzbait but I'm really liking the Zoom Horny Toad too. I used it in a pond to try it and when a fish misses it you can kill it and it sinks. Fish came right back and nailed it. Never had that happen with a buzzbait. I will be trying the HT a lot more this Spring!

Eric
BassAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-06, 01:23 PM   #20
bassthumb32

Jb I Do Both Jb Depends On Water Clarity, Type Of Structure. The Tailspinner Slows It Down Even More So Thats A Big Advantage For Pulling It Over Top Of Weeds. And In Open Water On Deep Flats. If You Have Any More Questions Just Ask.

Addict I Had A Fish Miss A Buzzbait Twice Then I Got Him On The Third Try This Last Summer.
Old 01-25-06, 05:05 PM   #21
JB

I like the idea of some extra flash at the backend of the buzzbait, I may get one and see what conditions it will work best in.
I've had parts of a 6inch worm for a buzzbait trailer when I want to slow it down, or a fat grub. We used to play around with baits following other baits, like tying a small tube jig about a foot behind the buzzbait or even more often tying it to a crankbait, and when you quit cranking for a moment the tube sinks. We only got one bass with this technique, but had read about it in bassmasters and infisherman magazines and just had to try it rofl
Old 01-25-06, 05:13 PM   #22
va_basser

Send a message via AIM to va_basser Send a message via Yahoo to va_basser

give this a try..take off the skirt and replace it with one of those soft plastic frog baits..did it last year for kicks and it caught fish!.Worked well fished near shore and around bushes and grass(duh)

Last edited by va_basser; 01-25-06 at 06:40 PM.
va_basser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-06, 06:07 PM   #23
JB

yea maybe like a horney toad from zoom on the back, that should call a few hawgs to the top!
Old 01-25-06, 06:40 PM   #24
va_basser

Send a message via AIM to va_basser Send a message via Yahoo to va_basser

I had a pic up there,now it wont show
Old 01-25-06, 06:45 PM   #25
PowerBass

I love buzzbaits! They are probably one of the best big bass lures

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.