Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-06, 01:31 PM   #1
Sluggo
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Signature reels.

I ordered a David Fritts BPS reel , because I just can't find the Lew Speed Spool anymore and I got to thinking. when a pro is asked to sit down and give his input for a piece of equipment with his name on it. It should be awesome eg. the Fritts reel. David Fritts used the old sped spool as I did for years and I'm sure he saw room for improvement. the old speed spool came in 4.3 ratio and on the old boxes it said it colud be "powered" up to 4.7 (21 inch) sure enough the lowest retrieve in the David Fritts reels is 4.7 the best retrieve for cranks I always thought. same would go for the Ricky Clunn reel. just think if a reel company asked us to design what we wanted. I know price indicates quality and both reels read very well on paper and these guys use them.
Sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-06, 03:47 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Sluggo, let us know how you like it. I'm a big fan of BPS Extreme reels, and if the Fritts model is as good as those which I'd bet it is I'll be interested in hearing your report.
Old 03-25-06, 04:00 PM   #3
Sluggo
BassFishin.Com Member

I'll do that Reb ! I'm a crankbait fisherman period and just can't see using a gear ratio over 4.7. for me I have had way too much success with the old speed spools and now I'm convinced the Fritts reel has gotta be as good or even better. I actually met David Fritts in 1994 at the St. Louis,MO boat show and what a GREAT GUY he is !
Old 03-25-06, 04:28 PM   #4
Rebbasser

I'm throwing them on a 5.2:1 reel but have been debating digging out an old Ambassador 5000C for the lower gear ratio but don't want to use a round reel if I don't have to-I like my low profiles. The Fritts reel may be the way to go.
Old 03-25-06, 05:31 PM   #5
Sluggo
BassFishin.Com Member

you know Reb. when I think back to the year the speed spool was introduced it was a real break-thru reel the 1st proflie reel and a "lightning" 4.3 retrieve. a reel that truly truly had to be fished to be apreciated. the Fritts looks just like it has the same kinda profile if you want to call it that and it has the "U-Spool" design line peels off very quickly during a cast and does not bite into the line on the spool when you get a big bass on.
Old 03-25-06, 08:42 PM   #6
bass kicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

how much does the reel cost
Old 03-25-06, 10:40 PM   #7
Sluggo
BassFishin.Com Member

the Fritts reel is 79.99 at BPS.
Old 03-25-06, 10:46 PM   #8
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser
I'm throwing them on a 5.2:1 reel but have been debating digging out an old Ambassador 5000C for the lower gear ratio but don't want to use a round reel if I don't have to-I like my low profiles. The Fritts reel may be the way to go.
You could always buy a older Shimano B2005. or even a B20038

Lizards

Last edited by lizardsrule; 03-26-06 at 10:26 PM.
lizardsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-06, 07:00 AM   #9
pig n jig

Lizards, are you baiting me ?I typed a 2 hour long post for this thread yesterday and where the hell it went once I sent it, I haven't a clue. Maybe it was too large to post ? Well to shorten it, Has anyone seen Fritts use his signature reel like Rick Clunn does during tournaments ?A friend of mine that fished the Bass tour with David Fritts told me, he said the reason he used the lews was because the anti reverse on the reels weren't instant like the newer reels that were being made.Fritts said that that little amount of back play before the reel locked in let him feel what his crankbait was doing better than the reels that had instant antireverse roller bearings.If this is true , why does his signature reel have a instant anti reverse roller bearing in it ?Kevin VanDam has a signature reel, you never see him using it.Denny Brauer had to push the Daiwa procaster 6+1 reel on his show, you seen advertisements and Denny used them while fishing on the show.I never seen him use them during a tournament, he has either the TD-X, or Millionaire reels .I suspect they are paying their bills just like Bill Dance does.I am not implying that they are a bad product , its just that the famous name is a marketing ploy for the companies to sell their product. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-06, 08:40 AM   #10
JB

pnj,
I always write a long post on my notebook (START<PROGRAMS>ACCESSORIES>NOTEPAD) or use WORD, then ccp it to any forum sites...most forums tend to loose post everynow and then.

I noticed the same thing about fritz...10 years ago when he made it big with his deep crankin poes at the classic, was the first time I was exposed to Lews reels and his explanation of why he chooses them...
why they make their own adjustments to that reel is beyond me..politics huh
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-06, 08:56 AM   #11
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig
Lizards, are you baiting me ? P N J
No need, I know you're always there rotfl I type what I like, you type what you like, sometimes we just don't agree But that's what's so good about two people having a mind of their own . If two people thought alike, there is no need for one of them

Lizards
Old 03-26-06, 10:19 AM   #12
zooker

actually got a lews bb3 recently for $56 not the bb1 but what ever..

zooker
Old 03-26-06, 01:46 PM   #13
bassnman30

The origional Fritts' reel has an Anti-Reverse dog (a few years ago). The new Fritts reels have a positive anti-reverse. I prefer the old Lews (the BB1 and the BB1N). They "click" back when you reeling. The new ones don't, they are positive anti-reverse.The new Fritts reels also come in styles up to 6:1 retrieve. Too fast for crankbaits.
Old 03-28-06, 08:26 AM   #14
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig
Lizards, are you baiting me ?I typed a 2 hour long post for this thread yesterday and where the hell it went once I sent it, I haven't a clue. Maybe it was too large to post ? Well to shorten it, Has anyone seen Fritts use his signature reel like Rick Clunn does during tournaments ?A friend of mine that fished the Bass tour with David Fritts told me, he said the reason he used the lews was because the anti reverse on the reels weren't instant like the newer reels that were being made.Fritts said that that little amount of back play before the reel locked in let him feel what his crankbait was doing better than the reels that had instant antireverse roller bearings.If this is true , why does his signature reel have a instant anti reverse roller bearing in it ?Kevin VanDam has a signature reel, you never see him using it.Denny Brauer had to push the Daiwa procaster 6+1 reel on his show, you seen advertisements and Denny used them while fishing on the show.I never seen him use them during a tournament, he has either the TD-X, or Millionaire reels .I suspect they are paying their bills just like Bill Dance does.I am not implying that they are a bad product , its just that the famous name is a marketing ploy for the companies to sell their product. P N J
Bingo for PNJ WE HAVE A WINNER. Now you know why I use the old noisy no anti reverse original lew's BB1N reels. They just plain outish ANY other reel that you are using a crank on. I have out fished good fisherman cause I was using that old nopisy slow reel.
Old 03-28-06, 08:57 PM   #15
bass kicker

i was thinking about getting the rick clunn signiture series lure is it any good

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.