Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-10, 12:07 AM   #1
Bass Warrior
BassFishin.Com Member

Question Pro Mariner Chargers

I have purchased 2 different onboard chargers from Bass Pro. The first one was a Pro Mariner Sport - 2 bank & the second was a Bass Pro brand - 3 bank.

I have had both of them quit working on me over the course of 2 years. Both are made by pro mariner and they have a decent warranty but I am getting tired of having to send one in and wait for it to be repaired.

Has anyone else had this same issue? They have gotten wet but not submerged.....I am at a loss and not sure if its my luck or the chargers..

Suggestions??
Bass Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-10, 06:58 PM   #2
nova385
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I have a xps 3 bank 15amp - never had a problem with it.
Any chance you are getting a power surge? Just a thought.
nova385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-10, 09:43 AM   #3
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Where do you have the charger mounted? If in a small compartment it could be heat build up causing the early failure. Storing other gear on or around the charger won't help either, keep them clear. Chargers need some room & ventilation as they heat up during the recharge process. Larger compartments will mitigate some of the heat build up - I leave the hatch open when charging at home, leave it cracked about an inch or so, when away if security isn't a big issue. Don't know if this may be your issue - but I had this problem on my second boat when I mounted a 3 - bank in a small rear (lockable - I didn't want it stolen) compartment and packed other gear around it. Charger didn't last one summer.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-10, 03:56 AM   #4
Bass Warrior
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the suggestions....

-I really couldnt say whether or not I am getting a surge. It could be possible because the majority of the time it is charging from my RV...??

-I think I have it in a large enough area...I have a Nitro 189 and the back compartments are pretty good size. Like you, I leave the hatch cracked open.

Perhaps the 3rd time is the charm...??
Old 03-15-11, 11:43 PM   #5
Lvitch

Their junk. Went through 4 in a year n a half (3 bank 15 amp). I finally spent a little more money and went with the 18 amp pro charger (rec series). Had it about a year now with no issues. Other guys in my clubs have had the same issues with the bps charger. Their cheap but not a bargain. Just my.02
Old 03-16-11, 03:22 AM   #6
Strike_King 609

[i bought the Xps 3 bank and it took a dump in the 1st month i had it. I sent it back to pro marine they sent me the 3 bank sport charger. In the process they messed up they sent me to units. I never sent it back figured they owed me that much. I mean really sucks getting all the way to the middle of the lake and the power dies.
Old 03-16-11, 06:45 AM   #7
mike234

Have never used a Pro Mariner but have used Minn Koita on last 2 boats. Never had a problem with either one. Each one kept 3 blue top optimas charged and would charge them fully in less than 5 hours even though would fish for 3 days sometimes without charging.
mike234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.