Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-11, 12:56 AM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Smallmouth advice?

Hey guys. I was checkin out the DNR site and found a nice looking little lake called Caroline Pond. They've also got a topo map of the place that my prove useful.
Here's a weather report for next weekend if that helps!

The south shore looks to be the most accessible by land, but looks like I could wade the north shore pretty well if the bottoms hard enough (not muck, lol).

I'm thinking that if their's a good area to fish, that a chartreuse/white spinnerbait might be good to locate some fish, perhaps a crank if I can keep it out of the weeds. I was thinking that if they don't produce, I'll stick on a drop shot, tube or grub.

So from in the info given, what would your game plan be (particularly targeting smallies)?

Last edited by Bassboss; 08-08-11 at 10:53 AM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-11, 02:55 AM   #2
Backwater Charlie
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Bring a lot of Senko's.. 4 and 5" in natural colors. Ya know, green pumpkin and other shades of green/brown. Wacky-rigged. I'll agree with the spinnerbait to find active fish, but like you mentioned on the chat, maybe you should start off with subtle baits just in-case you'll scare off inactive fish. 1/4oz spinnerbaits with two willow blades, chartreuse/white.
Old 08-08-11, 11:54 AM   #3
MIbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Find the rocks and the gravel and you'll find fish.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-11, 12:19 PM   #4
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

It looks pretty shallow. Last weekend I fished a weedy, shallow lake like that in northern Michigan that has a lot of smallies. We fished for hours and hours, all different areas and presentations, and nothing! Caught one 3# 10oz. largemouth and several pike but no smallies. The lake has lots of them since I talked to somebody who fished there during the spawn in June but they seems to get lockjaw in the warm summer months. You might have a better shot at targeting largemouth at this time of year. Good luck up there!
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-11, 09:12 PM   #5
Ground Pounder

I'd for sure run that rubble line on the southeastern side of the lake, where the water transitions from silt to rubble and the pool dips to 10'. Run them tubes and cranks through there for sure.

Also, that "X" near the dam wall mentions a feed mill. You should scout and see what time the mill tosses food - sure to attract some fish in the area if it's on a timer.

Good luck!
Ground Pounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-11, 12:41 AM   #6
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Thanks for the help guys. I'll let ya know how I do, hopefully I'll get some smallies, but nothin wrong with largemouth either. I didn't notice that feed mill GP, thanks!
Old 08-09-11, 09:07 AM   #7
mrmuskie5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIbasser View Post
Find the rocks and the gravel and you'll find fish.
+1 also get there when the sun is just breaking the horizon and rip their lips off with a zara spook/ puppy. Also grinding a crank on the bottom (if its a hard bottom )can kill it after the topwater bite ends. This is my experience around my neck of the woods.
mrmuskie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-11, 10:57 PM   #8
justbassin4fun
BassFishin.Com Member

I found drop shots work decent. 4 inch worms in green or pumkin seem to be their favorite color. Another is top water. Also had some luck with deep cranks and the sebile magic swimmer 3-1/2". The lake I fish has smelt so a rainbow color worked. I did add some weight to get it to sink faster.
justbassin4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-11, 10:06 AM   #9
DVT Mike

The south end appears to be the deepest water and steepest banks as well as the dam. I'd definetely concentrate here. The inlets probably have some current with some little points. Those are spots to check as well.
Old 08-23-11, 11:09 AM   #10
Mac2

One thing to try....a lightweight 1/4 to 1/8 double silver willow blade spinnerbait with the skirt removed and replaced with a clear or smoke grub with silver flake. Other than that, cut the tail off a zoom speedworm in wat/red, texpose weightless on a 2/0 offset worm hook and use a skipping cast, then slow fall and deadsticking. With no internal salt for weight, the zoomies fall much more slowly and present a very enticing bait. Caught slews of smallies in a Canadian heat wave using them.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.