Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-07, 01:26 AM   #1
cdubya
BassFishin.Com Member

Question how to use various lures

Hi, I'm not new to fishing but I have been out of the loop quite sometime however for the most part I've always fished with live baits worms, minnows, and crickets. I don't have a boat or much money at my disposal but I do have a lot of tackle built up but not sure on what to use or how exactly to use it. I see the term yo-yo a lot yet I'm not sure what exactly this means. Is there a place that shows animations or videos of demonstrations on the usage methods. I've had the most luck at the pond I fish w/ lures and have only caught 1 fish on live bait.

The pond I'm fising is pretty shallow from what I can tell maybe 1-4ft deep around the bank and probably 15ft if that in the deepest point. Next trip out I'll get pictures of the structures visible above water. I have caught a variety of fish in it including; LM Bass, Bream, White Crappie, Sunfish, Grass Carp, and Catfish(unknown specifically what type). Biggest I've caught was the Carp @ 20.2lbs and LM Bass @ 6.7lbs.

Lures I have:
Rat-L-Traps
Buzz Baits
Spinners w/ Skirts
Plastic worms w/ curled tails
Pop-R
Tiny Torpedo
Various Rubber Swim baits
Rooster Tail In-Line Spinner

Thank you in advance for any help you may provide and sorry for the Novel as a first post I'll try to cut it down to a short story next post
cdubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-07, 07:46 PM   #2
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Welcome to the nut house. Yo-Yo is more or less a raising or the rod up and down, to make a bait rise and fall. Yo-yoing on a tree branch for example will keep the bait in the same location, just raise and lower it. Yo-yoing on a rattletrap per se is more or less pumping the rod up and down, which will give in a lot more up and down, and eratic effect. As for what will work best in your pond, the fish will have to tell you. All of the baits you listed will catch bass at times, some better than others. Nice sized bass you caught outa that pond of yours.

Lizards
Old 09-12-07, 08:36 PM   #3
cdubya
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks for the info there.. is the yo-yo method on a Rat-L-Trap done while reeling in or is it reel - pause - yo-yo- reel etc.. oh and pictures as promised..

Here's one of the Carp didn't have my cam when I caught the Bass..
Old 09-12-07, 08:41 PM   #4
bothomas
BassFishin.Com Active Member

you catch the LM on a worm??
bothomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-07, 08:42 PM   #5
bothomas

and ditto....nice fish!
bothomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-07, 08:45 PM   #6
cdubya
BassFishin.Com Member

thank you!..caught on a chartruse (sp?) plastic grub w/ white weighted jig head
Old 09-12-07, 10:48 PM   #7
cdubya
BassFishin.Com Member

for anyone else wondering.. i found this at the Bass Pro Shops website

Click Here
Old 09-13-07, 08:15 PM   #8
lizardsrule

On a Rattletrap, I would reel, and yo-yo as retrieving. But anytime you make the bait more eractic, it "CAN" cause a heck of a hit, like a wounded or fleeing baitfish. I usually just cast, and reel, with some pumping action occasionally on rattletraps. I do more on spinnerbaits, and standard cranks than any lipless bait.

Lizards
Old 09-14-07, 02:59 PM   #9
cdubya
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardsrule View Post
There are three types of Snakes I hate 1. Live Snakes 2. Dead Snakes 3. Sticks that look like Snakes. And Gators too!

I see we share the same hatred for the slithering type. Everytime I see one I get the image of Bill Dance fighting one off that fell on him out of tree.. it's the only thing that keeps me planted at where i'm fishing.
Old 09-14-07, 09:28 PM   #10
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubya View Post
I see we share the same hatred for the slithering type. Everytime I see one I get the image of Bill Dance fighting one off that fell on him out of tree.. it's the only thing that keeps me planted at where i'm fishing.
A old member, long gone, taught me that saying. I added "and gators too" though rotflmao. Actually I'm from Indiana, and recently moved down to Florida. I was worried about all the snakes, but so far I've seen fewer snakes here than I did when I lived in Indiana But a lot of gators, some "VERY BIG" gators no less.

Lizards
Old 09-26-07, 04:13 PM   #11
steven
BassFishin.Com Member

Arrow lures

if you are going to use a plastic worm,which is my lure of choice,you sould move it from side to side and reel slow
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-07, 10:50 PM   #12
stevomac59

If you want to use live bait, try using a line weight about 8in away from the hook, that way the bait has the ability to float.

Try using some Pumpkin Seed Senkos, they are the best, in my opinion.

Good luck out there....

Nice Carp!!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.