Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-09, 12:51 PM   #1
jcw1503
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default The snake bait!!!

What are your guys thought on the topwater bait that looks and moves like a snake? Has anyone used the bait before? Does it work?
Old 02-06-09, 01:04 PM   #2
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

There are a lot of snakes out there. If you are refering to the Doug Hannon Snake, then I liked it and would buy it on e-bay for about 30% of what they charge on the site. The main issue with them was that they melt easily and are a real pain to cast. I do like the action on them though.

I think that any large floating worm can be a snake. Rig it weightless and you can skip it and bring it right across the top. I like the gambler and mann's snakes. Use the "walk the dog" technique and you will get a very similar swimming action for a much cheaper price.
Old 02-06-09, 01:19 PM   #3
BassBandit
BassFishin.Com Active Member

For California and Florida waters yeah I can see they would work but not where I'm at. Have seen lot of live snakes swimming on surface many time not once have I see it got attack so I don't bother with artificial snake...beside I've see baby ducks got drowned by BIG mouth, it was a sight to see
Old 02-06-09, 02:14 PM   #4
cassidyta

In some ways I would agree with you Bandit, but I have never seen anything on the water that reminded me of a buzz bait yet it works as well. In a lot of cases I think top water is just a reaction to the fact that there is something the bass can eat.
I throw frogs and snakes through alot of the scum so I doubt the bass had a clue what it was eating. Heck, I have seen sun flower seeds bring a boil.
Old 02-06-09, 02:58 PM   #5
aikenyounggun

I havent ever used one but im not a big believer becuase i have never seen a bass attack a snake. Even though i see them quite often swimming through the water, but i guess its just like throwing a floating worm though.
aikenyounggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-09, 12:02 AM   #6
Love of the Sport

I ordered some. I'll come back and tell ya what I think after top water season starts.
Love of the Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-09, 01:22 PM   #7
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Tell ya what guys. I tried something like this last year. Although it was late, and I didn't give it enough time to see if it would work. Just before iceup is no time to use this bait. Just wanted to see what it would look like. But it looked really good. I used a 9 inch snake lure, I think it was made by Manns. Anyways, it's a thinner snake bait than Hannons. But what I did was to secure a balsa bullet shaped float to the snake like you would peg a bullet sinker. It alowed me to easily swim this bait accross the surface without it sinking at all. But what I really like was that I could pause the retrieve from time to time, and the snake would still float at the surface, while the swim tail would continue to undolate in the water. It looked great. I'm going to give it another shot this comming late spring, early summer.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-09, 06:55 AM   #8
pig n jig

Keith, Is this it ?

pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-09, 11:14 AM   #9
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Yep, that looks like the ones I have.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-09, 11:45 AM   #10
Mac2

Welding a lizard head on a seven inch Culprit worm creates a fine snake. Doesn't need to float just hold the rod tip up and swim it on top over brushpiles, weeds, lilypads, submerged trees....etc.etc. Pencil soldering iron, melting both survaces to be joined simultaneously....color of the head does not have to match body.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.