Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-09, 11:11 AM   #1
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default best monday in a long time (kindy lengthy)

so we found yet another spot at the end of my street!!...where we park our cars theres a pathway in the trees....we followed it about 20' and it opened up to a small pond,exploding with sunken timber,grassbed,coverage,and feed by a small creek that connects to where i normally fish

I couldnt believe it was right there hidden by my parking spot!
My buddy got there monday before me,and had a few catfish poles set up and was ripping bluegill out left and right......me of course,i set up for the bass.....he told me his spinners werent getting any action and switched to a bobber to get bluegill......so i tied on a t-rigged worm and was pitcing it into the sunken timber....tiny fish all over the worm and i pulled out one dink....so there are bass in here

then BOOM! my buddy's catfish bell/pole went nuts and he snatched it up and fought something big!!.....we both thought he nailed a big ole catfish......then i hear him say ''what the **** is that''.....i run over,and he's pulling in a 20''-24'' bowfin....Ive never seen anyone catch a bowfin before,let alone seen one in person..all i know is what i read,so it was a real treat for both of us.

Anyway, I switched to a chart / white buzz bait...the water completely still and i wanting to rip it up!....i was two cast away from switching to a popper....and then i got my BOOM! .....17'' 1.5-2lb LM bass......you cant tell in the picture....but im grinning big!!!

the night gets better!

so my wife this night was out with friends....once we were done and i cleaned up at home,she ask me to meet them at the bar (also down the street) i thought ''i deserve an award''

i get there and run into a friend of ours....about 8 months ago i tattooed this guy (Im a tattooist btw) and he had offer me a FREE 14 ft fiberglass jon boat......and my dumbass waited too long before calling..and of course he said he had someone else getting it

well monday he told me the guy never came and got it,and offered it to me again...plus for 200 bucks i get the trailer!!!!...

Im picking it up today after work!!!!!!
so after some registration/title....small outboard (my dad has an extra 5hp im hoping to borrow or buy) i will be on the water!!!

(now i just gotta get a tow hitch for my KIA,hahahaha) yea i drive a kia....what of it?

life is good

Walker
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2ndbigbass.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	3935   Click image for larger version

Name:	bowfin.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	284.3 KB
ID:	3936  
Old 07-22-09, 11:31 AM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Great story, nice fish, and uhm.... a kia? lol.

BB
Old 07-22-09, 11:33 AM   #3
crankybait

very nice, congrats on the bowfin. Looks crazy. And congrats on the boat (I won't say anything about the kia). You been finding a ton of new spots lately aintcha?
Old 07-22-09, 12:32 PM   #4
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankybait View Post
very nice, congrats on the bowfin. Looks crazy. And congrats on the boat (I won't say anything about the kia). You been finding a ton of new spots lately aintcha?

yea all these little hidden treasure by the house...its crazy,im going saturday morning to start clearing some brush and trim some limbs to make more spots and some better casting room.....7'pole isnt too friendly there.

ha, man i love my kia...06 spectra 5 , FULLY LOADED,haha....i had a ford truck before that,and it blew its compression 3 weeks after i paid it off.....i have an hour commute to work and was about to lose my job if i didnt get something quick (this was before i was married).......i had to keep my payments extremely low and low interest rate....the kia was a package deal!....i also needed a hatchback with fold down seats to haul all my band equipment to shows......i love my kia..it'll be paid off in 9 months,and i've never had a single problem with it in three years (knock on wood)
my buddy has an F150, so he'll be towing the boatwhen we fish..my kia is rated to tow 1,900 lbs...but im not gonna risk it on a front wheel drive 4 banger...
Old 07-22-09, 12:51 PM   #5
nofearengineer

Hey Waffle...tell your buddy he's a sissy for not lippin' that Bowfin! j/k

That thing is amazing looking. That bass ain't too shabby either! IT's awesome when you find a hidden gem. I found a small lake in Wyoming almost 30 years ago that had largemouth bass in it. Wyoming! It was the same great feeling.

I'm going to try to catch me a Guadaloupe Bass sometime in the next year (I can't resist a challenge!). Maybe you and me can get together for some fishing down there in Texas (it's the only place "The Guad" lives) right before next year's get-together. (If I tow my boat to Alabama...what's a few hundred more miles to Texas? ) I'm an ex-musician, so we'd probably have plenty to talk about.
Old 07-22-09, 01:12 PM   #6
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Hey Waffle...tell your buddy he's a sissy for not lippin' that Bowfin! j/k

That thing is amazing looking. That bass ain't too shabby either! IT's awesome when you find a hidden gem. I found a small lake in Wyoming almost 30 years ago that had largemouth bass in it. Wyoming! It was the same great feeling.

I'm going to try to catch me a Guadaloupe Bass sometime in the next year (I can't resist a challenge!). Maybe you and me can get together for some fishing down there in Texas (it's the only place "The Guad" lives) right before next year's get-together. (If I tow my boat to Alabama...what's a few hundred more miles to Texas? ) I'm an ex-musician, so we'd probably have plenty to talk about.
hahaha,he didnt know what it was,and was about to lip it,when i said ''oh no you gotta gill that bad boy''...we look in the mouth and saw all those teeth....hahaha

man you make it to texas,and well plan a weekend of fishing/jamming....theres ton of good lakes within an hour maybe two of my place....i got caddo,tawakoni, and the the famous lake fork....the two lakes (lavon and hubbard) by me hold big fish,but there are few ''sweet spot'' with all the construction they clear all the timber and its hard to track the bass..plus their over fished like crazy..

you shoot me an email if you make down here and well fish for sure...

Ive never caught a guad before either...ill look on my texas fishing forum and see where they're thriving the most
Old 07-22-09, 01:25 PM   #7
Nitro911
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

You can find Guadalupe bass at Canyon, and in Placid, McQueeney, and Dunlap south of Canyon on the Guadalupe river. The ramps at Placid are good, under 35 in New Braunfels. Last time I tried to get on Placid, they had the ramps torn up for construction, but they are under I-10 in Seguin. There are no longer any public ramps on McQueeney that I am aware of. During the summer, you will be fighting jet fleas and skiers all day, so get out early or stay out late.
Old 07-22-09, 01:38 PM   #8
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro911 View Post
You can find Guadalupe bass at Canyon, and in Placid, McQueeney, and Dunlap south of Canyon on the Guadalupe river. The ramps at Placid are good, under 35 in New Braunfels. Last time I tried to get on Placid, they had the ramps torn up for construction, but they are under I-10 in Seguin. There are no longer any public ramps on McQueeney that I am aware of. During the summer, you will be fighting jet fleas and skiers all day, so get out early or stay out late.

good to know,thanks nitro..yea i thought they were more prone further south tx......of course,placid is a little further than i hoping...haha,this f-ing big state!!

jet fleas,lol...havent heard that one....sounds alot like ray hubbard by me.
if you dont have a v-hull to cut through all thier wakes you screwed!
Old 07-22-09, 02:08 PM   #9
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post

jet fleas,lol...havent heard that one....sounds alot like ray hubbard by me.
if you dont have a v-hull to cut through all thier wakes you screwed!
Lucky for me, I drive one of those V's.
Old 07-22-09, 02:20 PM   #10
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Lucky for me, I drive one of those V's.

that was my first question about the jon boat.....and to even better my luck!...its a ''v''.....pheeeeew.
Old 07-22-09, 08:36 PM   #11
Jim80

you have my condolences on having to drive a kia man , but nice fish and the pond looks great .

jim
Old 07-22-09, 09:09 PM   #12
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Either you have really long arms, or that bass is bigger than 2#. Congrats on the new spot.
Aren't those bowfins ugly? Around here they're called dogfish
Old 07-22-09, 10:10 PM   #13
nofearengineer

I think Bowfins are BEAUTIFUL. Seriously, I do hehe. They are almost unchanged in tens of millions of years. Because they're perfect. Everyone should have the joy/panic of catching a strong one too...man, they are good fighters.
Old 07-22-09, 11:28 PM   #14
keithdog

Quote:
I think Bowfins are BEAUTIFUL. Seriously, I do hehe. They are almost unchanged in tens of millions of years. Because they're perfect. Everyone should have the joy/panic of catching a strong one too...man, they are good fighters.

I wonder if they are any good for eatting? They are a pretty cool looking fish.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-09, 09:40 AM   #15
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
Either you have really long arms, or that bass is bigger than 2#. Congrats on the new spot.
Aren't those bowfins ugly? Around here they're called dogfish
I did shove him into the camera,lol....try to make him look 8lbs

I used a cheap,cheap spring scale on the bass....it read LESS than 1 lb

it came with a fillet kit i bought awhile back.never used it and after that read,i threw it away....and started looking at new ones at BPS.
i wish we got an accurate weight read...i couldnt remember the formula for the length x girth x ? = the weight ....

that was the second biggest bass of the year for me......Im still looking to break 5lbs....

yea,bowfins are pretty ugly....kinda cool in a prehistoric way though.....i still think its weird we pulled him out that pond
but i guess thats what makes fishing so exciting...you just never know whats taking the bait
Old 07-23-09, 09:44 AM   #16
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
I wonder if they are any good for eatting? They are a pretty cool looking fish.

i called my dad and ask that same question....he said ''no'' and that they were way too boney to eat.....but i know people who catch and eat alligator gar's (talk about an ugly fish) so i guess its up to the person...
Old 07-23-09, 09:47 AM   #17
MississippiBoy

http://www.bowfinanglers.com/recipes.html
Old 07-23-09, 10:01 AM   #18
nofearengineer

I have eaten bowfin before, and it is perfectly acceptable table fare. It is a little more firm and meaty than cod fillets, but then again, so are pork chops, and I don't hear anyone saying piggies aren't edible. I think the trick with Bowfin is to not overcook it. I've found that when people eat so-called "rough fish", they tend to over-cook them, as if somehow they're going to catch some sort of disease from them if they don't. Silly.
Old 07-23-09, 06:46 PM   #19
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Ok, so we're one for two here haha. They're ugly as sin but they really are very good fighters
Old 07-23-09, 08:31 PM   #20
Bassboss

Nice bass!

Holly molly what a huge bow fin!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.