Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-11, 03:14 PM   #1
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Am I really missing out?

I have never purchased any lure which cost me over $10. Are those high dollar baits really that much better? I don't make the kind of money I used to make I think it would take some of the pleasure out of fishing for me if I knew every lure I threw was worth $20 or more.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-11, 03:42 PM   #2
bcklash
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I don't think they are. I have a few, but I do better with my little Bandit 200 or my $3 jig.
Old 07-08-11, 04:21 PM   #3
Mumpy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I guess it’s all about how you look at it really. For example, everyone rants and raves over the Lucky Craft Gunfish lures. They’re in the $16.00 Range. Because they cost me $16.00 and because people talk about how well they do, I plan on fishing mine. If for example someone was on here talking about how Bubba’s Crawler caught some fish and I purchased it and it was $3.00 I probably wouldn’t fish it much which wouldn’t be giving it much a chance.

With that said, to me, my time is money. Meaning if I take that Lucky Craft Gunfish and catch just 5 bass off of it. That enjoyment those 5 fish gave me is worth every penny of the $16.00 I spent.

I don’t know where I’m even going with this reply really. I’ll say this, Last year I purchased a Crankbait that cost me $15.00. I Consistently catch Bass on it. Just last weekend I took a friend fishing who I’m trying to show him the ropes on how to Bass fish. I reach in and grab that Crankbait and I told him, I bought this Crankbait for $15.00 and he was like, man you’re crazy! The First cast I made with it, I caught a bass and I looked at him like, Who’s the crazy one. He was just shaking his head.

Another thing, I try harder to save my lures when they cost money. If I hang up on a Tree stump with a $3.00 Lure, I’ll break it off to save telling my buddy to turn the boat around and help me retrieve it. If I hang that $15.00 Crankbait up, we’re going to give it at least a good 20 minutes before I call it a loss!
Old 07-08-11, 04:31 PM   #4
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Honestly I think that in situations involving baits that dive fairly deep (let's say more than 5-6 feet) if you are concerned with how much money you spent on a bait then you will probably catch less fish. I say this because you will be less likely to get the bait as close that that rock pile, brush pile, or whatever and in return get less bites and I said deeper diving baits because usually baits that run fairly shallow are easier to get back should you get hung up. I have no problem with paying higher prices for baits like Sammy's, Gunfish, Pointers, RC 1.5's, ect. because topwater baits don't get hung up often and shallow running crankbaits are easy to retrieve if they do get hung up. Honestly I think that you will catch just as many fish on baits with a lower price point for the most part. Are there times when the fish are acting funny and you might be able to catch them better on a more expensive bait? Sure! But for someone who isn't fishing for money and instead is just having a good time I think that as rare as these cases are then you would not be missing anything with sticking to baits that are a lot cheaper. Just remember to check your hooks and replace them when they need it because the biggest problem with cheaper baits is that they usually come with cheaper hooks.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-11, 05:12 PM   #5
Marc David

All baits have their time and place. I personally am a huge fan of the Lucky Craft line of baits, such as the ones C-Rig mentioned. I know when I open the package, it will be a quality true running lure, with great components.

They're definitely worth a try. If you look around in the classifieds on forums, you can typically find Lucky Crafts for around only $10 each.
Marc David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-11, 05:33 PM   #6
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I think the big thing with more expensive baits is consistency. Consistently better hooks, paint, action, etc. There's nothing wrong with cheaper baits though; I wouldn't go fishing without my box full of Bandit crankbaits.

BB
Old 07-08-11, 05:49 PM   #7
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I wouldn't go fishing without my box full of Bandit crankbaits.

BB
Bomber crankbaits for me but the point is the same
Old 07-08-11, 05:49 PM   #8
bamabassman

ok, here is my opion au.........

no i don't think oyu are missing out. look, i don't hav ethe money to go out and buy the HOTTEST, NEWEST baits on the market. and i don't. and i seem to do ok i think. yeah we all joke about me being the DINK MASTER, but i do catch some really nice ones here and there. so i ain't too worried about buying $10.00 baits. and if oyu look at it, there are folks out there buying baits that cam out YEARS ago, old stand bys and catching huge fish. and the baits are cheap. so i say no........ you ain't missing out pal.
Old 07-08-11, 06:17 PM   #9
Bassboss

No, I don't really think so. But there are sometimes when a more expensive bait will put more fish in the boat then a cheaper one. By this, I'm not saying that if brand Y cost you 10.00 bucks, and by brand Y cost you 3.00 bucks, that brand X will automatically catch more fish.

Hypothetical situation.

Say you're fishing shallow running crankbaits, you have crankbait X that cost $10.00, and crankbait Y that cost $3.00, and both have the same hooks, and same body profile. If X has a tight wiggle and Y has a wide wiggle, then X might catch more fish then Y because of the tight wiggle. Now you can turn right around the next day, and have Y catch more fish then X because of the wide wiggle. Did crankbait X catch fish better one day because it was more expensive? No. It caught more fish because of the action, and profile it had, and it just so happened that the fish wanted the action and profile crankbait X had.

Now why do more expensive crankbaits often out produce cheaper ones? Perhaps it's that they have different action then the cheaper ones most people use which they see day in and day out. I think it gives them something different to look at, that they've rarely see, thus making it appealing to fish more then the cheaper ones.

I think that right there ^^^^ is the main reasons a more expensive anything, can work better then a cheaper alternative.

For example, Frank can be cranking a deep rocky point with a Norman DD, and catch fish in the 3 - 4 pound range, and then have the bit suddenly turn of, and he starts catching small half pounders. Franks leaves the area.

Shortly after, Mich comes to the same point, and starts tossing a Lucky Craft Flat CB, and catches fish in the 3 - 4 pound range, and then suddenly he starts catching dinks just as Frank did.

Todd comes along 5 minuets later and uses a Bandit 400, and the same pattern repeats it's self.

Randy comes and uses a Norman DD and only catching dinks.

Every angler, but Randy was catching quality fish, then the size of the fish went way down. On every occasion, the big fish got used to the crankbait they were using, and stopped biting it. Some put something else in front of there faces, and they bit.

Last edited by Bassboss; 07-08-11 at 06:22 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-11, 06:44 PM   #10
dave0943

I bought some spinnerbaits from Walmart for 1.00. I use them in stump filled nightmare water areas and they catch fish! I think if you buy a 20.00 lure you will think that your going to catch more fish. I guess it could build your confidence in it. Confidence in a lure makes a powerfull bait at any price! Just an opinion.
Dave
dave0943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-11, 07:05 PM   #11
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave0943 View Post
I bought some spinnerbaits from Walmart for 1.00. I use them in stump filled nightmare water areas and they catch fish! I think if you buy a 20.00 lure you will think that your going to catch more fish. I guess it could build your confidence in it. Confidence in a lure makes a powerfull bait at any price! Just an opinion.
Dave
x2 on those wally world spinnerbaits. Good no nonsense spinnerbaits, my favorite clear water spinnerbait. Only thing I change is the swivel.
Old 07-08-11, 11:30 PM   #12
Lvitch

Yes. Some are. The lucky crafts especially the gun fish and pointer just have that perfect action. It's hard to get that or understand it until you fish one. They are tuned very well, and every one runs correctly out of the box. Some big dollar baits aren't worth the cash though. Dome less expensive lures run great also, but you might need to go through a bunch to get that perfect one.
Old 07-09-11, 12:03 AM   #13
AUFred

Thanks for the responses. I have bought plenty of baits in the $7 class and caught fish on them. I have bought some knock off baits that cost under $3, some ran well & caught fish others not so much. I suppose if the economy ever turns around for me I might consider investng in a few high dollar baits. In the meantime I suppose I will have to fine tune my own baits & upgrade hooks if I see my lures need those. Giving lures the eye test in the stores I have seen some Academy brand lures which looked as good as the Lucky Craft. Like some said I might dive overboard if I stump hook a $20 lure.
Old 07-09-11, 01:00 AM   #14
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUFred View Post
Thanks for the responses. I have bought plenty of baits in the $7 class and caught fish on them. I have bought some knock off baits that cost under $3, some ran well & caught fish others not so much. I suppose if the economy ever turns around for me I might consider investng in a few high dollar baits. In the meantime I suppose I will have to fine tune my own baits & upgrade hooks if I see my lures need those. Giving lures the eye test in the stores I have seen some Academy brand lures which looked as good as the Lucky Craft. Like some said I might dive overboard if I stump hook a $20 lure.
The H2O baits that you see at Academy are very very good baits. I would go so far as to say you probably won't find a better bang for the buck out there as far as tackle goes. Funny you should compare them to Lucky Craft because I have heard from several different people on different occasions that they are actually made in the same building as Lucky Craft. I can't say whether that is fact or just a rumor but either way they are great baits.
Old 07-09-11, 01:05 AM   #15
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
The H2O baits that you see at Academy are very very good baits. I would go so far as to say you probably won't find a better bang for the buck out there as far as tackle goes. Funny you should compare them to Lucky Craft because I have heard from several different people on different occasions that they are actually made in the same building as Lucky Craft. I can't say whether that is fact or just a rumor but either way they are great baits.
I've heard the same thing Kory. Looking at side by side pics though, they sure appear to be. It would be took if tackle tour (one a member here), did an autopsy of both of them to see how the guts compare all the way down to rattle size/rattle material, chamber location, etc.
Old 07-09-11, 02:10 AM   #16
AUFred

I found this very interesting:

http://www.prairiestateoutdoors.com/...rs_crankbaits/
Old 07-09-11, 09:12 AM   #17
bamabassman

i'll atest tot he h20's from academy, VERY nice bait for the money. i got a few and really like them alot.

and i like the article VERY MUCH!
Old 07-09-11, 09:34 AM   #18
mrmuskie5

I think far more R and D go into high end baits so the actions and color patterns have been tried and trued. not to mention that higher end baits go as far as thinking about water displacement and sound emissions that im sure cheaper bait companys dont have the equipment to test. with all that being said I still find myself with some old timber tigers with the bill about ground off lol. I fish for muskies alot (hence the screen name) and some of our bait are crazy money... I have found the same as c-rig if you are worried about hanging your $30 double cowgirl up in some standing timber you arent putting your bait in the strikezone. these baits are meant to be fished. period. If you just dont have the money for these baits dont sweat it people have been catching bass on plastic worms and cheap spinnerbaits for ever and a day. Get out and fish, to hell with the drama.
mrmuskie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-11, 09:46 AM   #19
AUFred

I am thinking I may peruse Academy again today. I really appreciate the comments from those who fish the high dollar baits. I remember when the Japanese Pop R type baits were the craze and the sporting goods store kept them behind the counter because they started at like $25. I also remember in my younger days carrying matches with me when I fished so I could repair my creme worms when they tore. A pack of three would last all day and catch a lot of fish if you kept melting them back together.
Old 07-09-11, 11:02 AM   #20
cassidyta

In the interest of full disclosure, we all know that I am a big swimbait guy, so I have plenty of lures that are well over $20.
The best advice I ever got on expensive baits was this. "If you aren't going to throw them where the fish are, then don't bother buying them"

This is why I don't own many LC crankbaits. They look and swim great, but I found that I was too worred about snagging one to throw it where I needed to. Now I do own several of the gunfish and pointers, but I am seldom in a place where I will lose a jerk bait.

As far as the question "Am I missing out?" If you are having fun and catching fish, then I would say no you are not.
Old 07-09-11, 11:29 AM   #21
AUFred

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
In the interest of full disclosure, we all know that I am a big swimbait guy, so I have plenty of lures that are well over $20.
The best advice I ever got on expensive baits was this. "If you aren't going to throw them where the fish are, then don't bother buying them"

This is why I don't own many LC crankbaits. They look and swim great, but I found that I was too worred about snagging one to throw it where I needed to. Now I do own several of the gunfish and pointers, but I am seldom in a place where I will lose a jerk bait.

As far as the question "Am I missing out?" If you are having fun and catching fish, then I would say no you are not.
That is what I am thinking. If at the end of the day my thumb is sore & chewed up then I had a good day. I just look at the cobwebs in my wallet & those shiny baits on the wall and wonder is it worth it? I have fished over 45 years and only remember a few days of being skunked. Some of those days only included dinks but even they can be fun on light tackle.
Old 07-09-11, 01:35 PM   #22
Raul

I do have 15+ dollars baits, not as many as you may think, some are really extraordinary ( like Megabass Bait X Concept, Itö Vision 110, LC Pointer ), however most of my cranks are Rapala, Storm, Bill Lewis, Heddon. So to a certain point, some high end cranks are worth their price others aren´t and you can spend your entire life without ever needing one.

Don´t get caught in the newest hottest trend ( comes from a tackleholic ), a few well chosen proven baits is all you need, ex: Rat L-Traps have been around for ages and they still catch tons of fish.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-11, 02:09 PM   #23
lilmule

Well for the money the badit 200 is hard to beat,yet the gunfish and suspending jerkbaits from lc have their place,as for the whole gambit of lc baits no.
Walley world 1 dollar spinnerbaits do work,tend to use them where one might not get one back,swivels arnt to great but 1 season or less who cares.Plan on replacing them every year.Their buzzbait is quite lacking but a hart buzzbait also sold at wally world is great costs about 3-4 bucks,has holes in the blade and works well.
Strike king square bills work as well as anyones.
I own no 200 plus rods and no 500 dollar reels do own fair amount of lc ,and some 8-10 dollar frogs,about the most expensive baits that i do own,50 percent of my tackle though cost under 5 bucks.
Mostly up to the individual and what they are comfortable with.
Fish dont seem to mind..
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-11, 05:57 PM   #24
AUFred

Bought 3 of the H2O xpress lures to try tomorrow.
Old 07-11-11, 09:51 PM   #25
keithdog

I'm reading these remarks and I keep thinking about a post I read a while back about someone catching a bass on a white shoestring, haha. No, you don't need the expensive baits to catch bass, but like some have already said, one reason for buying them is the consistency and quality of those baits. But not all expensive baits are the same. I have a few lucky craft lures, mainly because I recieved then as Christmas gifts or bought them with a gift card. Do I like them? YES I DO! But I've caught just as many bass on my cheeper cranks.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.