Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-07, 10:02 PM   #1
lunker-lander
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander
Default Taking Stock

Hey guys, just taking stock of my bass stuff today and wondered what my two bass rods should be used for. Currently this is what I own:

* St.Croix 7'6'' Med-Lite; 10-12 lb test; SC Graphite;1/8-1/2 ounce - What lures would this rod be best for??

*Falcon LowRider XGS 6'7'' Medium action; 10-17 lb test; 3/8-1 ounce - What lures would be best suited for this rod??

Fairly soon, I hope to add a Woo Daves BPS 7' Heavy Action Trigger style rod w/ a BPS Extreme Left-Handed Retrieve 12-30 lb test reel. Would this be a good set up for a first time baitcaster such as my self? What lures would be suit this rod?

Any other rod/reel recommendation would help also. Looking in the 100-200 dollar range.

Thanks(in advance) -LL-
Old 07-27-07, 10:20 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

LL, the Extreme is a good reel-I'd say that is a good setup.

The ML I would use for small crankbaits and the M I'd use as a general purpose rod.
Old 07-27-07, 10:30 PM   #3
lunker-lander

What about a drop-shot rig for the Med-Lite?? If yes or no, could you still give me a pic of one of your personal drop-shot rigs?? Also send me a good portion of text to go with rigging them and what not.

Thanks -LL-
Old 07-27-07, 10:36 PM   #4
bassfisher02

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

Drop shot rig:

Note: the weight at the absolute end of the line, and your hook a distance up from it, how far up is at your discretion.

Rigging nstructions:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...3Doff%26sa%3DG

Old 07-27-07, 10:39 PM   #5
bassfisher02

PS: Think of rods like this... the heavier the action, and longer they are, the more leverage they have. So this is for baits such as crankbaits where it shows you resistance through the water, also fishing any heavy cover, that leverage will be needed to horse a fish out. The smaller the rod, lighter the action is more for flexibility, for finesse fishing, or fishing open water where there wont be much need for horsing a bass out of cover.
Old 07-27-07, 10:42 PM   #6
Rebbasser

LL, that ML would make an awesome dropshot rod. I use a ML Falcon Coastal baitcaster for mine. The pic 02 posted is how to rig it.
Old 07-27-07, 11:17 PM   #7
JB

I would stick to the medium heavy rod for your next purchase. If you have two medium light to medium sticks already, the heavy one is going to be a huge change and probably unnecessary. I have several heavy action rods that I thought I had to have for wormin' but tend to use the med heavy for all applications day in and day out.
Look more into the type of MH 6-6 or longer casting or trigger rods, and try to get to a local quality tackle store and bend the rods you may purchase in a light manner, and get a feel for which ones have a strong backbone and where it gets real flexible towards the rod tip, then match the ones that fit your needs to the type of fishing you do. If all you do if flip a jig all day, a heavy one could be the one for you. But if this is only your third rod, look for a med. heavy that can be used for worming, spinnerbait, crankbait and other application.

Last edited by JB; 07-27-07 at 11:23 PM.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-07, 12:22 AM   #8
Bender

I agree with JB. I use mostly Medium rods, but what some brands call "medium" is actually Medium heavy. Don't get me wrong, I like a good backbone to the Medium rods, but not a noodle. I just bought 2 medium rods from 2 different companies this week and I will test them tomorrow.
For me it also depends on what line you are using. With braided line I use a lighter action rod since there is no stretch.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-07, 10:32 AM   #9
lunker-lander

Today I looked at a medium and medium-heavy St.Croix Triumph 6'6'' & 7'0'' baitcasting rod. Would this be good for medium to deep crankbaits(which is what I plan to use on my new set-up)??? Also, what gear-ratio reel would be best for a medium/deep running lure(10-18 foot)cranking rod???

I also looked at a fair selection of reels to match the rod I'm looking for. If I plan to use this for medium/deep cranking(which I do plan on), what is a good reel for this??? When I mean a "good reel", I am talking in the 90-130 dollar range, good quality, low-profile, brand, etc. Keep in mind that this set-up will be for a first time baitcaster, but I want a decent set-up, not a cheapy...

Thanks -LL-
Old 07-28-07, 10:41 PM   #10
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Shimano® Calais 4x8 DC=$649.99

lol.

I just recently got my first baitcaster too. I got a Daiwa Procaster 100SEL series. it was 79.99 alone and i got it in a combo with a cabelas rod for 110.

I'd suggest that. It's a great real and was easy for me to learn on.
Old 07-28-07, 10:53 PM   #11
Rebbasser

LL, for deep cranking the lower the gear ratio the better. By using a lower gear ratio you get more torque, and cranking those big baits is much easier. I just bought a BPS David Fritts crankbait reel wich has a 4.7:1 gear ratio. Cranking a DD-22 was MUCH easier with this reel.
Old 07-29-07, 11:22 AM   #12
lunker-lander

Just looked at new rods and called a Cabelas Fishin' Tech. He suggested a Shimano Citica 200D matched with a Cabelas Fish Eagle II. The reel is 5.3:1 gear ratio. Rod is slow action, 8-14 lb test;1/4-5/8 lure weight (he said I could go higher though). Keep in mind I am a first time baitcaster and I want this as a deep cranking rod. The combo costs $159.99 w/o tax (.6% in MI). Would this be a good match for my criteria??

Thanks for all the info so far..

-LL-
Old 07-29-07, 02:23 PM   #13
Rebbasser

I think that will do the trick, but before you get it ask yourself is deep cranking going to be the only thing you are going to be using it for? Or will you be wanting to try different applications? For a first baitcaster I echo what JB said-a 6-6 MH action. That way you can use it for more than one application.
Old 07-29-07, 04:30 PM   #14
lunker-lander

It is MH action and 6'6'', but it is slow action, what else can you use a slow action for besides deep-crankin'???

Thanks -LL-
Old 07-29-07, 04:38 PM   #15
bassfisher02

Anything......
Old 07-29-07, 05:29 PM   #16
lunker-lander

What about jigs for this rod??
Old 07-29-07, 06:07 PM   #17
JB

any rod of this rating should be able to handle jigs from 1/4 to 3/16, 1/2, 5/8 and probably higher
Old 07-29-07, 07:38 PM   #18
ToPwAt'R GuY
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I wouldn't recommend a slow action rod for jigs. When a fish grabs my jig I really like to slam the hook home. You just can't get that out of a slow action rod IMO.
ToPwAt'R GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-07, 08:09 PM   #19
lizardsrule

Mr. Bold typing guy LOL.

This is the rod for your application of deep cranking.

http://stcroixrods.com/rods/default2...5&section=spin

The premier crankbait rod in 7' MH with a moderate action should do the trick. Now I just bought a Citica, and really like the reel, very smooth, great drag system, great breaking system, but with one exception. It's kinda heavy to be honest. Now I mostly fish with Castaics, and they are lighter(OK FLYGUY THIS IS FOR YOU ROTFL). Now "IF" you are deep cranking all day, not only will you feel it the next day, I promise you, but the added weight is not gonna help. Now if you want to spend the money, obviously you could go with the higher end models, but especially for your 3rd rod I wouldn't. Now I also have to agree with TWG, and a moderate action for jigs is not what I would want, but then again I would never ever use a ML rod for bass fishing in "ANY" application, a Medium is the lowest I go, but that's just "MY" opinion. As flyguy stated in another post, fish with what you like, and what you have confidence in. Confidence is more important than any baits or equipment you can own IMHO. BTW, I'm a ST Croix man to the death. I do have some of the mid and upper end models, but I have I beleive I have 6 of the premier models(minus one I snapped today loading the boat) and have always been completely satisfied with them. I also think they make the best baitkeeper I'ver used, not to mention the rods are awesome.

Lizards
Old 07-30-07, 09:47 AM   #20
lunker-lander

Dear Lizards, I too am a St.Croix man to death(if I have the money to afford the rod I wish)!! What rod of the site that you sent me to would you recommend for deep cranking AND jigs??? I personally like the PC70MHM 7' MH; Mod. Action; 1 Piece; 10-20 lb test; 3/8-1 ounce; 4.5 ounces; $110.00.

Would this be a good rod for deep-crankin' and jigs?? Would it match up good to the Citica reel???

Thanks for all the other info so far though

-LL-
Old 07-30-07, 11:49 AM   #21
JB

I'd say that rod would be perfect for most applications, better get two ")
Old 07-30-07, 05:34 PM   #22
lizardsrule

That rod would be fine. But if you really want to know "MY OPINION", then I would get a Fast Action rod for the Jigging. The Moderate action is better suited IMO for trebbles baits, ie less chance of just ripping them out of the fishes mouth, and plays them better than the fast tip, due to it's flex. The fast action is less flexible, thereby giving better hooksets IMO, which is critical when jig fishing. The Moderate will work, just a little more flex than I personally care for.

Lizards
Old 07-31-07, 12:36 AM   #23
hackattack
BassFishin.Com Active Member

crank rod and jig rod=total opposites...
say crank I think glass and slow...
say jig I say graphite, heavy, and fast...

like jb said, ya better get two
hackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-07, 01:41 PM   #24
lunker-lander

I got my new baby today guys, take a look under my "Taking Stock" post and read up on 'er!!!
Old 07-31-07, 02:29 PM   #25
bassfisher02

This is your 'Taking Stock' post...

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.