Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-07, 03:21 PM   #1
jooleyen
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen
Default New spinning rod.

I was going to get a rod for using treble hooks, but now that I think about it, a spinning rod first would be even better. I want something for dropshotting, jerkbait, and shakey head rig. I will have 6lb Fluorocarbon line on it. I don't want to spend any more than $100 on it. I do have a Shimano Sienna 2000FA spinning reel, but I'd like to give that to my dad and get a different one. The reason I want a new one is because of the weight of the one I currently own. It's an ugly stick too, so it's not very sensitive.

I looked up some reels, and I think I'm gonna get an Abu Garcia Cardinal 500 ALB. Or maybe the Pflueger Trion. I'm more leaned toward the Abu though.

And for the rod? Any recommendations? I will go to the store and pick up some rods to see how they feel.

Thanks.

Last edited by jooleyen; 07-28-07 at 08:50 PM.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-07, 10:37 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Well My spinning reel is an abu garcia cardinal, its a good reel. and sorry I can't help ya with the rid, mines one i bought at a garage sale, nice though, the guy built it himself. and my baitcasting rod is Cabelas brand, lol.
Old 07-28-07, 10:55 PM   #3
bassfisher02

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

Well, I can say both Abu Garcia and the Pflueger Trions are VERY tough. I have the Abu Garcia CD4-3000 [older model for sure] yet its holding up better than my newer Shimano. I've put both the Trion and Abu through hell, and the Abu is still doing nicely, though the Trion is beginning to fault, casting is starting to become difficult, but after a nice lube up it seems to be fine. Point her is the Garcia hasnt shown any problems and its considerably older than the Trion, so you should get the Abu. Why are you putting only 6lb test on your set-up? Especially since you plan to use it for jigging and jerkbaits? I suggest you rethink that aspect, as it spells out mistake.

As for rod, get a sturdy rod... much like the whole line visibility issue, I find the idea of rod sensitivity totally irrelevant. My line is extremely sensitive, I can feel even the slightest nick on it, so I could care less whether the rod is 'sensitive.' Ugly stik is a great rod in my book, I can throw it around, bend it, flex it, pretty much whatever I want and not have to worry about it breaking. It gives me strength and leverage to pull hawgs outta cover, and its all around a great rod. But if you are worried about sensitivity, well I guess you should go with a Gloomis, or St. Croix. I would suggest a MH 7' 1 piece.
Old 07-28-07, 10:57 PM   #4
Rebbasser

Jools, I use a MH rod for shakey head and a ML for drop shotting. If you are going to use it for both I'd get a M action. Fishing a shakey head in like fishing a T-rig-you need some backbone for a hookset, which a ML does not have. Just some food for thought.
Old 07-28-07, 11:39 PM   #5
skeeter944

I use a 6'6'' Medium Action Berkley Lightning rod with 8lb fluoro for dropshot and shaky head. One thing that you need to master with the lightline is swep setting the hook. If you set it fast, you might break your line.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-07, 11:44 PM   #6
ToPwAt'R GuY
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Jooleyen, the best thing to do is to go to a place that carries many different rods and see which one feels best. To fit your needs get a 6'6" medium action rod with good backbone and and a nice flexible tip. Also I would recomend that you use at least use 8 pound test if not higher. With the lines on the market today you can get away with heavier line and consequently a lot of time you need it.
ToPwAt'R GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-07, 12:23 AM   #7
millsryno
BassFishin.Com Member

If you can go just barely over $100, go with the Shimano Crucial. It is an excellent rod with one of the best warranties in the industry. you can atually return it at a retailer on a warranty claim.

For under $100, I'd go with the Shimano Compre or the Clarus. The Clarus you can get for much less than $100 and it will be so much better than that Ugly Stick you are using. The money you save could go to buying some good fluorocarbon and some good drop shot baits.

For shakey head and drop shot I use 6# exclusively.
Old 07-29-07, 08:30 AM   #8
keithdog

If you havev one near you check out the Guide Series rods sold at Gander Mountain. I have a couple IM8 graphite rods of the Guide Series and love'em. They won't break the bank, and come with a life time warrenty. They are very sensitive allowing you to feel evereything.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-07, 01:33 PM   #9
jooleyen

#6 line suits me fine. The two primary uses will be dropshotting and shakey head rig. I'm getting the Cardinal reel unless something else comes up. I'm getting a 7' rod. I don't like Ugly Stiks.

The action is the only thing I need to really think about now. Between a MH and ML for shakey head and dropshot would be a M, right? So I think thats what I'm going to get? Any thoughts?
Old 07-29-07, 02:14 PM   #10
Rebbasser

Yep. A M will probably fit the bill for both.
Old 07-29-07, 02:43 PM   #11
millsryno
BassFishin.Com Member

I use a ML for both of those applications.
Old 07-29-07, 04:24 PM   #12
jooleyen

cool. Thanks everyone.
Old 07-30-07, 02:09 PM   #13
jooleyen

Okay here. I think I'm going to be a little money conservative. I decided to not spend $60 on a new reel, when I have a $30 reel that works fine. I am going to spend a little more on a rod though.

How can I switch the reel handle with a rubber one? It's clicky and plasticy.

Thanks.

Last edited by jooleyen; 07-30-07 at 02:22 PM.
Old 07-30-07, 04:17 PM   #14
bassfisher02

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

Well I think the next set-up I'm going to get will either be:

Pflueger Infusion-
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...003000_151-3-2
The rod would naturally be a M 7'

Or...

Penn Captiva-
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...003000_151-3-2
Rod would be M 7'

The price isnt so much a determining issue between the 2. I'll be using it for saltwater and freshwater fishing. I think i'll be getting the Penn though, I have a pflueger and I just dont know how much I liek their durability. The Penn I know will hold up.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.