Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-26-12, 05:58 PM   #1
maxwell.riddle
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Boat Help...

so i dont know very much at all about outboards. never owned a boat so this one is my first. the engine is a 1985 90hp yamaha.

i took it out for the first time and it isnt running so great. first off it seems slugish. i give full throttle and it feels like its slugish.

also it seems as if it is jumping out of gear. the engine revs up but the boat slows down.

and it died on me a couple times. sometimes i would start it, put it in reverse or forward and it would die.

so like i said i dont know too much about outboards, so thats why i got on this forum to get some help from people who know. help me please! thanks everyone.
maxwell.riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-12, 06:52 PM   #2
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Max Welcome to Bassfishin.com. There may be someone here that can diagnose your problem sight unseen, in the meantime here is the smartest thing for you to do.........call these guys. http://www.premiersportsgroup.com/

You been catching any?
Old 08-26-12, 07:57 PM   #3
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

1. What size is the boat that this motor is mounted on? I ask because if the boat is a big boat and underpowered by the 90HP that would explain the sluggish feeling.
2. As the motor reving up all the time or just when you try to plane out? If it's only when your planing out then I bet your motor height is too high and the prop is blowing out.
3. My guess is that it might be dying when you put it in gear because your carborators need to be cleaned out.
Old 08-26-12, 08:36 PM   #4
bamabassman

kory is correct. also check out the plugs. feul line may be clogged. old gas and oil.... lots of things to check out yourself. impeller and oil in the foot also.
Old 08-26-12, 09:57 PM   #5
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
kory is correct. also check out the plugs. feul line may be clogged. old gas and oil.... lots of things to check out yourself. impeller and oil in the foot also.
Yeah, I hate it when I get "oil in the foot." I just track it everywhere after that and it makes everything messy.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-12, 10:16 PM   #6
skeeter1804
BassFishin.Com Active Member

You could have numerous things going on. Sluggish could be caused by carbon, bad gas, carbs need cleaned, weak fuel pump, broken down fuel lines or a weak cylinder. Over rev could be motor heighth to high, spun prop hub or something broke in the lower unit. If your handy you may be able to fix some yourself but if not it's time to consult a repair shop. This is an old motor that was not designed to have ethanol fuel run through it.
skeeter1804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-12, 11:30 PM   #7
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter1804 View Post
You could have numerous things going on. Sluggish could be caused by carbon, bad gas, carbs need cleaned, weak fuel pump, broken down fuel lines or a weak cylinder. Over rev could be motor heighth to high, spun prop hub or something broke in the lower unit. If your handy you may be able to fix some yourself but if not it's time to consult a repair shop. This is an old motor that was not designed to have ethanol fuel run through it.
That's a good point. If it were me I would replace the fuel line with one that is rated to handle ethanol, even if it's not the problem this time it probably would be a problem down the road. If the sluggishness seems to be fuel related and not because the boat is underpowered then I would run a strong dose of Seafoam through it after cleaning the carborators. And for that matter I would continue to run Seafoam through it from now on in every tank of gas.
Old 08-27-12, 08:30 PM   #8
maxwell.riddle
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
what is "oil in the foot"?
Old 08-27-12, 08:48 PM   #9
bamabassman

ok, you have an IMPELLER pump in the bottom of the motor, it has oil to lub it as it pumpe water to cool off the motor (PEE STREAM COMING OUT FROM YOUR MOTOR). this needs to be changed out about every couple of years or so. go to youtube and oyu can see in detail what it is and how to change it out. it is easy DIY maint. trust me, if i can do it, you can buddy. did my first one on my brothers motor. gonna do mine next spring.
Old 08-27-12, 08:49 PM   #10
lilmule

Im guessing lower unit check fluid level,about oil in foot remark.Engine should idle about 800-900 and in gear around 700,if its peaing out the back wait till you have it in the shop to replace impeller,place some blue stable or yamaha ring free in follow directions.
Bogging can also be as outlined by others small motor large boat etc.Whale tail will help get it up faster,as for rpms while getting on plane boat is at an angle generally more than what you have when level,as slip or blowout occurs with some boats more than others.
Remember to keep oil in the yamaha oil tank if you have one and the rpm gauge has a set of lights green for good.
Post the prop your using,ss or alum size and rpms will help some along with boat name and model.

Last edited by lilmule; 08-27-12 at 09:00 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-12, 08:54 PM   #11
maxwell.riddle
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
ok, you have an IMPELLER pump in the bottom of the motor, it has oil to lub it as it pumpe water to cool off the motor (PEE STREAM COMING OUT FROM YOUR MOTOR). this needs to be changed out about every couple of years or so. go to youtube and oyu can see in detail what it is and how to change it out. it is easy DIY maint. trust me, if i can do it, you can buddy. did my first one on my brothers motor. gonna do mine next spring.
ill look into that. thanks. sorry for all the "silly" questions but im new to the boating world...im prety mechanically incline so im sure i can fix it.
Old 08-27-12, 08:58 PM   #12
bamabassman

listen up buddy...THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A "SILLY" QUESTON around here. oyu need some help because oyu are new ot boating....WE WILL DO EVERYTHING WE CAN TO HELP OYU. THAT'S WHAT WE DO!

now i ain't no boat EXPERT or anyhting CLOSE to it. there are people here that are. and they will help oyu out i promise.

so ask WHATEVER oyu need to know. and if someone says "that's a silly question." i'll be one of the FIRST to correct them. ok? this is how i learned, and so therefore....i'l pass on whatever i can to others.
Old 08-27-12, 08:59 PM   #13
bamabassman

sorry, didn't mean to sound as if i was shouting. hahahaha!!
Old 08-27-12, 09:20 PM   #14
maxwell.riddle
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
sorry, didn't mean to sound as if i was shouting. hahahaha!!
alright, alright man. jeeze. haha thanks. im sure ill have more questions to come

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.