Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-12, 10:34 PM   #1
pointer
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Hello, I'm new here.

New guy here. I found this forum while googling for information on cleaning reels. I'm trying to clean one of my spinning reels and I can't get in to the gears. It's a Shimano 2500RG. It's got a pin in the main shaft, above the nut that holds the spinner (my term for the piece that the bail is mounted on). I can't get the pin to budge and thus can't get the nut off to access the other screws that hold the housing together. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
pointer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-12, 11:15 PM   #2
bcklash
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Welcome, while I can't help with your reel I'm sure one of these nut cases on here can.

Again Welcome
Old 01-03-12, 11:28 PM   #3
Tavery5

The pin does not come out, you can loosen the nut without removing the pin. You then have to remove the side cover and do some disassembly and remove a cap that secures the other end of the shaft with the pin in it. Once you do this the shaft will slide out and the rotor assembly can just be lifted off the frame.
Old 01-03-12, 11:51 PM   #4
pointer
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the replies! I have the side plate partially loose but it appears that there is a trim piece on the bottom of the frame holding the side plate. Does the rear drag knob unscrew or snap off (or something else)? It looks like if I drop the drag knob off and drop that trim piece then the side plate will pivot out and clear the handle shaft and then I can start breaking that thing on down. I'll swear, I've done my baitcasters many times and they seem so much more straightforward than this thing.
Old 01-06-12, 03:14 PM   #5
3dkicker

Welcome. My suggestion is to post a couple pictures so that we can see what's going on. Plus it will help you to remember how things come apart and go back together. Friend of mine who does reel repair recommends this. Also you may want to pull out the schematic that came with the reel. It's a big help. If you don't have one search online for one. Finally if you can't figure it out stop what you're doing and take it to someone who has some experience repairing reels. Repair guys aren't happy when they get a bag of parts and are asked to figure out what went wrong.
Old 01-11-12, 11:22 AM   #6
DVT Mike
BassFishin.Com Active Member

First of all, never open any reel without a schematic in front of you. On a rear drag reel, the drag cap probably comes off and reveals a screw holding the washers etc in place. There may be side case scews under trim caps. See if this is the reel http://fish.shimano.com/media/fishin...9830667227.pdf Email me or send it in if you need to.

Mike
Old 01-13-12, 08:39 PM   #7
pointer
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the welcome and replies.
I believe there is a screw under that cap. I can't get the drag cap off. Does that cap just pry off?

BTW, DVT Mike, yes that is the exact schematic for my reel. It matches the (tiny) one that is printed on the box the reel came in. I don't think the schematic was as small when I first got the reel
Old 01-16-12, 02:22 PM   #8
LIZARDCASTER
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointer View Post
BTW, DVT Mike, yes that is the exact schematic for my reel. It matches the (tiny) one that is printed on the box the reel came in. I don't think the schematic was as small when I first got the reel

lol awesome! Welcome, Im a newbie as well! But been a reader for along time. So many people here know what they are talking about. Good guys in here!
LIZARDCASTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-12, 09:14 PM   #9
basshunter21
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Welcome pointer and lizardcaster!! This is the best bass fishing forum online!

Everyone on here are so knowledgeable and very nice. Ive learned so much from all the OLD FARTS on here!
basshunter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-12, 09:30 PM   #10
bassinbob

Welcome guys from an old fart.
Old 01-16-12, 09:51 PM   #11
pointer
BassFishin.Com Member

Well, I've finally gotten this thing back together (mostly) and have come to a conclusion about rear drag Shimano spinning reels. If you decide that you need to take one apart to clean it and service it, don't! Use it until you are dissatisfied with it's performance and then get something else. Up until I realized that I had somehow lost the oscillating drive gear, I thought I could glue the plastic pieces, that I broke, back together. I'll swear, getting that drag cap off is bad business.
Old 01-16-12, 10:40 PM   #12
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshunter21 View Post
Welcome pointer and lizardcaster!! This is the best bass fishing forum online!

Everyone on here are so knowledgeable and very nice. Ive learned so much from all the OLD FARTS on here!
Hey now, we aint all old... all farts yes.. but not old!

Welcome aboard guys!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.