Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-12, 10:55 PM   #1
Scott the fishman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Swim bait rod?

Soo a few may have seen my other post about finding the set up in my basement. Went back down today dug even deeper and found a reel. The reel is an Abu Garcia Cardinal feels pretty good. I was planning on getting a rod for swim baits such as super flukes. Any rod you can recommend or action, power, length. Thanks
Old 01-10-12, 10:56 AM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Flukes are actually soft jerkbaits, not swimbaits. When you say swimbaits, most will think of those huge 6-10" baits that can weigh up to half a pound that you need a long, heavy casting rod to throw.

If you'll be fishing the flukes weightless on a spinning rod, then a 7'+ M F rod will work. If you'll be adding much weight, you might move up to a MH. I prefer to throw them on casting gear with similar specs as I first mentioned.

BB
Old 01-10-12, 11:20 AM   #3
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

dang, gonna have to got to your basement
wallywallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-12, 04:52 PM   #4
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

My garage is like that. Move something and there's some fishing stuff.
Old 01-10-12, 05:52 PM   #5
Scott the fishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Flukes are actually soft jerkbaits, not swimbaits. When you say swimbaits, most will think of those huge 6-10" baits that can weigh up to half a pound that you need a long, heavy casting rod to throw.

If you'll be fishing the flukes weightless on a spinning rod, then a 7'+ M F rod will work. If you'll be adding much weight, you might move up to a MH. I prefer to throw them on casting gear with similar specs as I first mentioned.

BB
Ohh i just always thought they were swim baits haha. I am no pro at bait casting so i would wanna keep it spinning and thanks for the info
Old 01-10-12, 05:53 PM   #6
Scott the fishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallywallace View Post
dang, gonna have to got to your basement
Haha i think its all cleared out but the world may never know
Old 01-10-12, 06:09 PM   #7
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i got a rod JUST for the reel, jsut send it to me buddy.....i'l take care of it, hahahaha!! KIDDING.

rods are like everything else, GO TRY OUT every rod oyu can make oyur OWN DECISION pal. no one is gonna fish exactly like you will. and oyu will learn what YOU like in a rod by expermenting. going by our recomendations is fine now, but you'll learn what fits oyu better through trial and error.
i've been fishing since i was knee high to a grasshopper, and i am STILL learning what i like and don't like in rods and reels. lol!
Old 01-10-12, 07:04 PM   #8
Scott the fishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
i got a rod JUST for the reel, jsut send it to me buddy.....i'l take care of it, hahahaha!! KIDDING.

rods are like everything else, GO TRY OUT every rod oyu can make oyur OWN DECISION pal. no one is gonna fish exactly like you will. and oyu will learn what YOU like in a rod by expermenting. going by our recomendations is fine now, but you'll learn what fits oyu better through trial and error.
i've been fishing since i was knee high to a grasshopper, and i am STILL learning what i like and don't like in rods and reels. lol!
Haha yea i know but i usually end up thinking only what i can see at Dicks sporting good while you guys give me brands and expand my knowledge and i always like to hear other people's opinion. And every time i have taken one of the guys advice from the form i havent been anything but happy with my the nice bass i reel in
Old 01-11-12, 11:11 AM   #9
DVT Mike

Weightless flukes I like a Med/F with a somewhat soft tip. One of my favorite ways to fish them is skipping under docks and overhangs so I go with a little shorter 6'9" version. Handling in the store is a good idea, but even then you won't know for sure until you hit the water with something.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.