Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-12, 07:14 PM   #1
Culpritworm7.5
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Travel Rods

I own and fish with several travel rods including a MH 3pc Cabelas Tourney Trail, a M 4pc Cabelas xml, and a M 5 pc Cabelas Pro Guide, all spinning rods. My dad owns a MH 3pc BPS Extreme, a M 3pc BPS Extreme, and a M 4pc LL Bean Travel series, all spinning. We also have a MH 3pc Extreme baitcaster, and a MH 3pc Browning Safari Baitcaster. They all were purchased for regular use, and we have the convenience of taking them on airplanes and in cars on long trips to SD or FL.

Does anybody else own travel rods that they use for regular use?
Culpritworm7.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-12, 08:21 PM   #2
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I have a few two piece rods in my arsenal out of necessity so that they fit sight unseen in the trunk, something my "true" bass rods can't do.

So while they are not "true" travel rods if that is defined as having more than two pieces, the "travel" in the trunk wherever I go for the "just in case" fishing outing.

Some airlines, like Alaska will allow you to take you two-piece rods as carry on without it counting toward your hand carries. Kind of nice.

However, on my last trip to Mexico, I brought my two-piece convergence casting rod with me without issue to Mexico. But was strange on the way back was that while Alaska Airlines permitted transport of rod on the plane, a fishing rod was not allowed by Mexican authorities.

I didn't believe the checker for one instant and even told the guy in Spanish that Alaska permitted transport of rods, but he said no. I smelled a rat for sure, but with the plane almost leaving, I really had no choice but to take his word for it.

The rat I smelled was I think he wanted it for himself. I gave him the "I don't believe your crap" look and shook my head in unseen disgust. Fortunately for me, I had relatives there on my wife's side at our departure and I so I handed it off. Pinche Pendejo! and no, I am not Latino, but I did save a lot of money by switching to Geico.

I guess that next time I'll have to claim the rod as check luggage for $25.00!
Old 01-17-12, 08:25 PM   #3
joedog

I have a St. Croix 4 piece Med/fast with a quantum tour 10 reel. Has nice travel case and actually a very nice setup. Always in my car.
Many a day I have been found next to a BOW in a tie and dress cloths fishing, due to a last minute cancelation.
Once I went to an appointment after such a break and the gentleman had just seen me fishing. He became a great client and refered me to alot of other folks who also fished.
Old 01-17-12, 10:11 PM   #4
Bender

I usually carry a few rods in the car with me, but I travel alone. I've been looking for a good travel rod that would fit in my luggage for a while. The GLoomis Escape series are just too expensive. I talked to St.Croix and they said their Tidemaster Travel rods would work fine since I wanted a casting rod. They are 3 piece though so I'm not sure if they break down small enough for me.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.