Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-12, 09:29 PM   #1
Culpritworm7.5
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Summer Moss Mats

The lake that I fish on gets mats of "rock snot" and moss that build up along the shore in the summer, and they extend out to over thirty feet from shore. The stuff gets clogged in trebles, and even globs up on streamlined texas rigs. When it is not visible on the top, it covers the bottom of the lake and makes it nearly impossible to fish a jig or a worm. However, the fish still are very lively and agressive. Who experiences this problem on their lake, and how do you cope with it?

Thanks, Culprit
Culpritworm7.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-12, 10:18 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i think i know about what you are talking aobut. it's kinda like snot i agree,lol. all i do is clean it off after every cast and throw it agian. sometimes it doesn't matter if it's on the worm or lizzard..the bass will eat it anyway. someitmes i will throw a shallow crank and hope it doesn't get any on it. that's about all i can tell ya to do buddy. sorry.
Old 01-17-12, 11:38 PM   #3
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I don't cope with the crap. I move to another spot or lake. Hate that stuff. Personally I have never caught a fish once it fouls my bait.
Old 01-17-12, 11:44 PM   #4
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

One approach thats been fairly usefull for me is a 5" t-rigged tube. I use an internal weight. The tube seems to slide through it pretty well.
Old 01-18-12, 12:21 AM   #5
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbob View Post
I don't cope with the crap. I move to another spot or lake. Hate that stuff. Personally I have never caught a fish once it fouls my bait.
I've never caught a fish on a globbed up bait either and I'd rather move than fight it but.......................I have done a couple of things that you might try.....take an old sheet of plywood or two or three and put them out where you want to fish...........contact a carpet dealer and ask if you can have their old carpet they're fixin to through away and roll it out where you want to fish.............bust some lanes open with your boat and come back later and fish them.....................
Old 01-18-12, 01:24 AM   #6
badbrady06
BassFishin.Com Member

If its on the to the fish are under it. Try a t-rigged fluke or senko.
badbrady06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-12, 07:15 PM   #7
Culpritworm7.5
BassFishin.Com Member

I have had success catching fish from the mats by casting buzz frogs over it and letting them drop into pockets. The bad part is that all of the banks of my pond gets covered, so there really is no place to escape to, if i want to fish shallow. But the moss does provide shade for bass on hot days, just like a dock or pontoon boat. I am just getting tired of picking off moss on every cast.
Culpritworm7.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-12, 11:40 PM   #8
joedog

Default Moss Boss

The Old Moss Boss may be the trick. It's extremly light and maybe will ride on top of moss.
Warning Some people really struggle on hooksets.
These things are single hook and and was very popular before hollow bodies. I still carry one but thats about it..carry one.
But for this situation it may be perfect. Oh, thier only like $3 or $4.

Heddon Moss Boss: This lure is as old as time itself, as simple as can be but nevertheless highly effective. It is simply a moulded high density plastic spoon with a weedless hook at the back that is camouflaged. It casts extremely well considering how light it is and can be worked through the thickest of vegetation.
http://www.lurenet.com/lures/topwate...ddon-moss-boss
Good method to try... Fish like a popper. After cast onto mats let it sit 5-10 seconds, then pop, sit, pop, sit.........pop..pop..pop like a frog back to boat or shore.
Give it a try.

Last edited by joedog; 01-18-12 at 11:51 PM.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.