Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-10, 11:00 AM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default The amount of sensitivity lost in a 2 piece rod?

All right, so cabelas has there Gold Label rods on sale for 20 bucks, so I was planing on getting one, but than I saw that they where 2 piece, and the whole reason I'm getting another spinning rod is because my current one is about as sensitive as a rubber band. So I don't want to get a 2 piece rod to replace my current one if it's gonna loose a lot of sensitivity. So how much sensitivity do you really think is lost in a 2 piece rod over a 1 piece?

Thanks guys!
Old 02-28-10, 12:30 PM   #2
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I really don't think it is so much sensitivity that use lose, but the backbone of the rod.

If you ever look closely at most two piece rods (with a load put on them) there will be a much longer "straight" area where the two pieces come together, instead of a steady arch finishing out to the rod tip.

Hope that makes sense
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-10, 12:50 PM   #3
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I think it's really pretty common for spinning rods to be 2 piece. If you found one you like and the price is right I would go for it.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-10, 01:51 PM   #4
Bassboss

Thanks guys, I think I'll jump on it! And G, it does make scene!
Old 02-28-10, 03:20 PM   #5
Bassboss

Before I get it, 6'6", or 7'? Bot M power, Fast action.
Old 02-28-10, 04:44 PM   #6
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

bassboss, here's a simple test.

Take you most sensitive rod and perform whatever sensitivity test you like the best. Next, put the rod in a car window about halfway up, and then roll up the window. Now you have a two piece rod. Perform the sensitivity test again.

BB
Old 02-28-10, 05:10 PM   #7
nofearengineer

LMAO, Anthony. That is cruel.

But seriously...

Any break in the continuous path of material from rod tip to reel seat is going to reduce the rod's transmission of vibration. How much is lost is up to the quality of the ferrule job, though it will never be as good as a continous, single piece rod blank. However, a rod that is broken by a car door isn't very sensitive either, so if space is your biggest concern, don't give sensitivity a second thought and buy the two-piece.

As far as backbone goes, the ferrule is usually made from a stronger material than the rest of the rod blank. If you bend a 2-piece rod to failure, it will almost never break at the ferrule. Yes, it does tend to have a somewhat strange looking unbent section right in the middle, but again, that's just a compromise for people who like to be able to keep 7' rods in the trunk of their car.
Old 02-28-10, 05:20 PM   #8
JB

just keep one of your fingers on your line and you'll feel a bump before a rod will pick it up. You'll be OK at that price, however as you can afford better gear stick with a one piece
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-10, 06:24 PM   #9
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I don't think you lose tons of sensitivity with a 2 piece rod.
Really depends on what you are planning on using the rod for.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-10, 07:40 PM   #10
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
bassboss, here's a simple test.

Take you most sensitive rod and perform whatever sensitivity test you like the best. Next, put the rod in a car window about halfway up, and then roll up the window. Now you have a two piece rod. Perform the sensitivity test again.

BB
Anthony from the bottom of my hart......

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
LMAO, Anthony. That is cruel.

But seriously...

Any break in the continuous path of material from rod tip to reel seat is going to reduce the rod's transmission of vibration. How much is lost is up to the quality of the ferrule job, though it will never be as good as a continous, single piece rod blank. However, a rod that is broken by a car door isn't very sensitive either, so if space is your biggest concern, don't give sensitivity a second thought and buy the two-piece.

As far as backbone goes, the ferrule is usually made from a stronger material than the rest of the rod blank. If you bend a 2-piece rod to failure, it will almost never break at the ferrule. Yes, it does tend to have a somewhat strange looking unbent section right in the middle, but again, that's just a compromise for people who like to be able to keep 7' rods in the trunk of their car.
Ok, thanks nofear, I just got ejukuifed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
just keep one of your fingers on your line and you'll feel a bump before a rod will pick it up. You'll be OK at that price, however as you can afford better gear stick with a one piece
Thanks JB, I do that with my casting outfits. Should work with my spnning out fit(s) too. Thanks for the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUFred View Post
I don't think you lose tons of sensitivity with a 2 piece rod.
Really depends on what you are planning on using the rod for.
Drop Shots, shaky heads, wacky worms, maybe LIGHT c-rigs.
Old 02-28-10, 09:59 PM   #11
Bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
That's a great tip JB. I was fishing with a pro/guide guy I know last year and I was watching him and he did this. We were dragging drop shots and tubes on Saint Clair and it makes a big difference. When it's warm enough I've started doing this ice fishing as well.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 03:04 AM   #12
islandbass

I think the loss of sensitivity (in a good, quality two-piece rod) is negligible in most mortal hands.

I am forced to fish with 2-piece rods most of the time (since they're usually in the trunk and I'm on the go) so whether it's my 2-piece MH Compre spinning rod Compre, or my 2-piece Magtouch, graphite-handle casting rod, or my lowly clarus, any loss in sensitivity is not a show-stopper to keep me from fishing. My true one-piece rods are relegated to weekend fishing, of which lately isn't happening with the given weather.

BB, just start using braid. It would turn an ugly stick into a loomis glx. Okay, that's an exaggeration, but you will note an increase in sensitivity regardless of the rod used. No line I've used beats braid in the transmission of feedback to my hands.
Old 03-01-10, 09:44 PM   #13
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
I think the loss of sensitivity (in a good, quality two-piece rod) is negligible in most mortal hands.

I am forced to fish with 2-piece rods most of the time (since they're usually in the trunk and I'm on the go) so whether it's my 2-piece MH Compre spinning rod Compre, or my 2-piece Magtouch, graphite-handle casting rod, or my lowly clarus, any loss in sensitivity is not a show-stopper to keep me from fishing. My true one-piece rods are relegated to weekend fishing, of which lately isn't happening with the given weather.

BB, just start using braid. It would turn an ugly stick into a loomis glx. Okay, that's an exaggeration, but you will note an increase in sensitivity regardless of the rod used. No line I've used beats braid in the transmission of feedback to my hands.

Accually, I took you advise and put some on! I had to spend the cash I had to get minutes on my phone, so, more delays! Figure I'd might as well make the best of what I got while I got it.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.