Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-09, 10:41 PM   #1
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser
Default Okhissa Trip

Well woke up at 3:50 this morning and loaded up and headed to the the "Kissa", a 1200 acre lake in south MS. We got on the water about 6 and headed to a point we like to start on and landed the first slot of the day 16 1/4" @ 2.5 on a green pumpkin lizard. I got another good hit on a buzzbait and we went dry for a while after that. There was an impenetrable tree line about 4' off of the bank and we could see shad bouncing all over the place where they were getting ran by bass or crappie, I reckon, but I left the chainsaw at home, so there just wasn't no way to get to them. I saw a big bust by a fallen pine and chunked a frog spook in the gap and got a nice blow up but couldn't get a set. Then when we got around to the other side, I tried it again and she blew up again, I got to fight her for a while, but these fish must have a Gold's Gym on every stump in the place. She finally shook the hook, but I had fun for the fight, and it was going to be a slot fish anyways. So let's just call it a water release. My buddy was determined with the spinner bait and finally got on to the boat and it came off. He said he got so excited, he just reeled and never set the hook. Then we went dry again for about 2 hours. MY buddy finally fulfilled his spinnerbait dream and caught another slot at 2.5#. The we moved to a cove and found a few spawning and flipped on them for a few minutes, but we didn't harass them too long. Then we moved out and I changed to a Berkley 5" beast watermelon seed. I made the throw and had some slack on the spool, so I pulled it out. while I reeled it up it slung a knot, so I stopped and got it out. When I got the slack back, my line was heading yonder ways and I squatted on her. I got another slot fish at 3.5#

Then I caught another 2# on the beast after that one. It got the livewell treatment. And I picked another eater about a half hour later. My buddy went to nada for the rest of the day and I picked up another slot, about 2.75 on a shakey head tipped with a Roboworm, and I finished out the day with 1 dink on a mini sweet beaver. Tough day for 10 hours worth, but it's always worth it. And you don't get better sitting around the house. We had 10-15 mph winds shifting throughout the day, 68-71 water temp Clear - Partly Cloudy at times. Most of the fish came from 8-10' of water.
Old 04-21-09, 11:30 PM   #2
bcklash

Sounds like you had a good time and a nice day.
Old 04-22-09, 08:41 AM   #3
MississippiBoy

Sounds like a good day, Bubba. You need to introduce me to Okissa sometime.
Old 04-22-09, 08:43 AM   #4
Scott McGehee
BassFishin.Com Member

I haven't made the trip down there yet, but I might have to give it a try next month when I have some slack time. Sounds like a fun day on the water.
Scott McGehee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-09, 02:10 PM   #5
aikenyounggun

yeah you might of considered it was tough but i have days were we have zeroed for 8 hours- rarely but it happens to the best of us..... good job on catchin those fish those.... never heard of the "beast" before.... guess im goin to google it
Old 04-22-09, 06:02 PM   #6
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

SON! sounds great bubba. i am coming there again this year, lmao. and you, me and ssipppiboy are gonna fish SOMEWHERE over there,hahahahaha. glad you had a great day.
Old 04-22-09, 10:10 PM   #7
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Hey Bama, you give me the date and if we can work around when I will be home, I am there. The fish at the Kissa are brute force pullers. I have never experienced a fight like they give. When you hook in to one of the 2-3 pounders, if you don't get their head up then, you start hollering for a net. The first one yesterday was 2.5 and my buddy turned around when I grunted and saw my MH 6'6" bent over and said you need a net, and then he said, oh, I don't have one.
Old 04-23-09, 06:41 PM   #8
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

bubba, it's gonna be LATE summer or early fall when i return. i haven't got any vacation time built up yet, hahahaha. only get 6 hrs a month. takes 1 1/2 yrs to get a full week it seems like. but i will let you know pal. we'll hit calling panther when i get over there, i AM gonna get me a bass outta that @#$%& lake, hahahahahaha.
Old 04-24-09, 10:17 PM   #9
abu4600
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Sounds like a good trip Bubba. I'm gonna have to get down there and try it soon.
abu4600 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.