Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-11, 09:05 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Hard to choose.

I took a ride up to BPS this afternoon to kill check ouot a few reels. I'm planning to buy a baitcaster with a 31" IPT and don't want to spend much more than $100.00. Found a couple I really like and am very torn between the two. One being the new BPS Johnny Morris Carbon black for $129.00 and the new Garcia Orra SX. Both seem very strong, smooth and well made. Very little difference between the two that I can see. The Garcia is just a little lighter and smaller, but not a lot. For the price they both seem like a good deal. And the Garcia which is cheeper IS a Garcia. I think I'll see if either goes on sale with the big spring sale comming soon.
One thing I thought I woould bring up as it is related to another recent post here. They did not have a single package of Tru-Tungstin weights on the wall.
Old 02-13-11, 10:13 PM   #2
bamabassman

do you REALLY want me to answer this keith?
Old 02-13-11, 10:22 PM   #3
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Only one true solution to this conundrum...

Buy both!

The monkey has spoken.

BB
Old 02-13-11, 10:42 PM   #4
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Did you look at the Pro Qualifier? Much better reel than the Orra IMO, and real close to the Carbon Black.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-11, 11:15 PM   #5
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Keith, IMO the carbon black is the better deal for the money. There are several differences between the two reels . The differences may or may not make any difference in your decision but I thought I would share what I know of the two reels with you. The carbon black uses a dual braking system, using both magnetic and centrifugal brakes, the Orra uses ABU's pitch centrifugal brakes, which is three brakes that have springs and three that do not. The pitch brakes do not have spring pressure to overcome, so they deploy and help prevent backlashes at low spool speed. The other obvious feature of the Carbon Black is that is uses a swept carbon fiber handle, the Orra uses a conventional handle. The Carbon black uses a 10 bearing system, while the Orra uses a 7. Drag is about even on both reels , the Orra holds 145 yards of 12lb test and CB holds 120 yards. Both reels in the 7.1:1 gear ratio retrieve 31 inches of line per turn. The Orra is lighter than the CB weighting 8.7oz vs the CB at 9.4. The Orra has an aluminum frame and graphite side plates, I cannot confirm but I believe the CB has an aluminum frame and gear side plate, and uses a graphite cover on the palm side.

These differences may or may not make any difference in your decision as to which reel you eventually choose, just thought I would offer some additional info for thought.
Old 02-13-11, 11:39 PM   #6
pro reel

I don't have much more to offer that has not been said. My personal pick of the two would be the carbon black. A lot of people hate the pitch brake system. It can be very noisy.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-11, 11:40 PM   #7
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
do you REALLY want me to answer this keith?
hahaha, I know your answer buddy.
Old 02-13-11, 11:42 PM   #8
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post
Did you look at the Pro Qualifier? Much better reel than the Orra IMO, and real close to the Carbon Black.
Cam, I would buy the PQ if it had a 31" IPT rating for the 7:1 ratio version, but the PQ has a 29" IPT. Thats unfortunate because I own two PQ's and lov'em. That was the first I looked at actually.
Old 02-13-11, 11:53 PM   #9
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
Keith, IMO the carbon black is the better deal for the money. There are several differences between the two reels . The differences may or may not make any difference in your decision but I thought I would share what I know of the two reels with you. The carbon black uses a dual braking system, using both magnetic and centrifugal brakes, the Orra uses ABU's pitch centrifugal brakes, which is three brakes that have springs and three that do not. The pitch brakes do not have spring pressure to overcome, so they deploy and help prevent backlashes at low spool speed. The other obvious feature of the Carbon Black is that is uses a swept carbon fiber handle, the Orra uses a conventional handle. The Carbon black uses a 10 bearing system, while the Orra uses a 7. Drag is about even on both reels , the Orra holds 145 yards of 12lb test and CB holds 120 yards. Both reels in the 7.1:1 gear ratio retrieve 31 inches of line per turn. The Orra is lighter than the CB weighting 8.7oz vs the CB at 9.4. The Orra has an aluminum frame and graphite side plates, I cannot confirm but I believe the CB has an aluminum frame and gear side plate, and uses a graphite cover on the palm side.

These differences may or may not make any difference in your decision as to which reel you eventually choose, just thought I would offer some additional info for thought.
Thanks for the info Tavery! The dual breaks issue just might make me lean towards the CB. I'm not familiar with the Garcia pitch breaks, so that concerns me a little bit. The salesman at BPS told me the CB was essentially very similar to the Johnny Morris Gold casting reel minus one bearing. I've read reviews on both reels and users seem to really like them both. One guy gave a thumbs down review on his Orra SX saying it started out working fine but broke the first day in use. However, everyone else loved theirs it seemed. This didn't bother me really as my first STX was a lemon, but I replaced it for another one and it's a great reel. I'll have to investigate the breaks issue you mentioned. I have 5 weeks before I need it.
Old 02-13-11, 11:57 PM   #10
Tavery5

Don't know if you have every looked at the BPS Extreme but the 7.1:1 version of this reel also has a IPT of 31. Price is right @ 79.99 maybe someone can add additional info about this reel.
Old 02-13-11, 11:59 PM   #11
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
Thanks for the info Tavery! The dual breaks issue just might make me lean towards the CB. I'm not familiar with the Garcia pitch breaks, so that concerns me a little bit. The salesman at BPS told me the CB was essentially very similar to the Johnny Morris Gold casting reel minus one bearing. I've read reviews on both reels and users seem to really like them both. One guy gave a thumbs down review on his Orra SX saying it started out working fine but broke the first day in use. However, everyone else loved theirs it seemed. This didn't bother me really as my first STX was a lemon, but I replaced it for another one and it's a great reel. I'll have to investigate the breaks issue you mentioned. I have 5 weeks before I need it.
Your welcome Keith, it is hard for me to recommend against an ABU product, I love my Revo's.
Old 02-14-11, 12:00 PM   #12
CamG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
Don't know if you have every looked at the BPS Extreme but the 7.1:1 version of this reel also has a IPT of 31. Price is right @ 79.99 maybe someone can add additional info about this reel.
IMO this is a great reel as well. I have 6 or so that I've used for nearly 6 years and are still going strong.

Keith - now that I actually read your post, I see your are wanting 31" IPT. I didn't read too carefully.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-11, 12:47 PM   #13
Bassboss

To me, that carbon black looks SWEET!! I'm thinking about trading my Johnny limited edition gold to get credit towards one if the reviews are good.
Old 02-14-11, 12:54 PM   #14
Justin2729
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Abu is what i would go with love there reels.
Justin2729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-11, 06:43 PM   #15
bamabassman

ok then.......nuff said.
Old 02-14-11, 11:23 PM   #16
boloson

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
I took a ride up to BPS this afternoon to kill check ouot a few reels. I'm planning to buy a baitcaster with a 31" IPT and don't want to spend much more than $100.00. Found a couple I really like and am very torn between the two. One being the new BPS Johnny Morris Carbon black for $129.00 and the new Garcia Orra SX.
i think u just answered your own question. $29 over budget so u can forget about both reels
boloson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-11, 08:01 AM   #17
keithdog

Oops, I forgot to mention the Orra SX sells for $99.99
Old 02-15-11, 09:45 AM   #18
pro reel

Keith, do you have a problem with Purple? Perhaps you should look at the RCX10SHE. You can find it in any 2010 BPS catalogue. It's on sale at BPS for $79.00 right now. They will no longer carry it but It's a great reel. It's slightly higher quality than the PQ and it's high speed is a 31ipt. Parts will not be a problem as BPS has a great parts dept and 90% of the parts in this reel interchange with revo. If it was me, I would paint a little K State cat head on these purple reels.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-11, 12:22 PM   #19
fish4942

The new Johnny Morris (JM) Carbon Black is the new Signature Series.

The new Johnny Morris (JM) Bass Caster is the new Gold Series.

The names throw folks off because they don’t call it Gold Series of course since it’s no longer gold and the signature is now incomplete contrast since it black instead of silver. I wonder what made them go with the dark colors. Must be the latest fad.

But if you’re considering spending $130 it’s a no-brainer to go with the JM Carbon Black. You’re talking about a reel that’s priced way under its value in comparison to some of the high end reels out there. I think Johnny Morris’s goal is to get more of his reels on the water so he’s really dropped the prices on his brand. The Gold Series was a $270 reel when it first came out. And it was worth every penny then. Now he’s improved on it and starting it out at $160 as the Signature Series Bass Caster Reel this year.

But honestly, you should wait until the BPS spring classic starts in a couple of weeks. The previous model Signature Series (silver one) will be blowing out for $79.94.
fish4942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-11, 06:41 PM   #20
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro reel View Post
Keith, do you have a problem with Purple? Perhaps you should look at the RCX10SHE. You can find it in any 2010 BPS catalogue. It's on sale at BPS for $79.00 right now. They will no longer carry it but It's a great reel. It's slightly higher quality than the PQ and it's high speed is a 31ipt. Parts will not be a problem as BPS has a great parts dept and 90% of the parts in this reel interchange with revo. If it was me, I would paint a little K State cat head on these purple reels.
Funny you mention this. I have a couple RCX reels and they are pretty nice. The reel I'm replacing is an older RCX 7:1 that I ruined. I won't say how lol. Another one is in the back of my head, but thinking of trying something different. The purple does kinda turn me off.

Last edited by keithdog; 02-15-11 at 09:11 PM.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-11, 06:44 PM   #21
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish4942 View Post

But honestly, you should wait until the BPS spring classic starts in a couple of weeks. The previous model Signature Series (silver one) will be blowing out for $79.94.
Trust me, thats the plan along with a couple gift cards I have. If that previous Signiture Series is avail for $79.94 I'll be very tempted.
Old 02-15-11, 08:28 PM   #22
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Keith, I don't know if you've fished one of the JM reels, but they are larger than the PQ. I have the old silver signature series and it's not a bad reel, it's just big. I'd make sure you're ok with it before buying one.

As per the rick clunn reel. I think that reel should have been $60 instead of $110. My dad has the blue one, but I'm assuming the purple one isn't much different.

I know it wasn't one of the reels you mentioned, but I'd seriously consider the Daiwa Viento, available at TW (in RH) for $90. This is a GREAT deal on a good reel, a superb reel for that price. TW may even discount it more during the Classic sale.

BB
Old 02-15-11, 09:10 PM   #23
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Keith, I don't know if you've fished one of the JM reels, but they are larger than the PQ. I have the old silver signature series and it's not a bad reel, it's just big. I'd make sure you're ok with it before buying one.

As per the rick clunn reel. I think that reel should have been $60 instead of $110. My dad has the blue one, but I'm assuming the purple one isn't much different.

I know it wasn't one of the reels you mentioned, but I'd seriously consider the Daiwa Viento, available at TW (in RH) for $90. This is a GREAT deal on a good reel, a superb reel for that price. TW may even discount it more during the Classic sale.

BB
Your right, the Signiture series are bigger/heavier and the Carbon Black is a little bigger too, but it's not too bad. The CB is 9.4 oz. while the PQ is 8.8oz. Thats not much of a difference really. I'm not sure of the weight of the Daiwa Viento but I imagine it's similar to the PQ. Most Daiwas have an 8.8 pound drag rating and I like the 14 pound rating of the CB. The good thing is I'm not in any hurry, Ice out is probably 3 weeks off yet.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.