Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-06, 12:19 AM   #1
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default What type of material for a Transom Plate?

I have a antique 1982 Fishermarine 15' Tin can. It only has a 15 HP Rude on it(Max 13 MPH), however the transom plate is really getting in bad shape. When I say transom plate, I mean the plate that the motor sits on to keep from detroying the boat. It currently is a steel of some sort, but I've thought that perhaps a 3/4 piece of treated plywood would work for this. I'm like JB and a cheapskate on some things, just trying to get away with little money. I can mount it myself no problem, but if I need to go with Aluminum or steel I will have to have a piece cut. Also what thickness of what material would be reccomended for this. Thanks in advance for your input and suggestions.

Lizards
Old 11-14-06, 04:49 AM   #2
zooker

you want to use a good chunk of marine grade plywood. use 3/4 and double it use screw and liquid nail. lots od silicone calk do it on the inside. i am suprised that there aint any wood on the inside. on the out side there is no easy or cheap fix.best way is to get a piece of plate aluminum and have it tig welded to the transome..

zooker
Old 11-17-06, 02:44 PM   #3
betursweetbass
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass

Yeah, I'm thinking a 1/4" or better, piece of aluminum would be the best bet, maybe not the cheapest, but I think it would hold up better over the years. If you plan on getting rid of the boat anytime soon, go with treated ply.
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-06, 03:54 PM   #4
JB

we usually put 3/16 aluminum on them, I've replaced and cut many for guys here at the shop, its .188 thick..too bad ya don't live up here, or if ya come back up, I'll hook ya up for free, what dimensions ya need?
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-06, 05:39 PM   #5
zooker

i spoke with him about it. he said it was a 3/16" metal plate. either tig weld it or cause he aint rich self tapping screws and a cordless drill..

zooker
Old 11-17-06, 05:55 PM   #6
JB

I've put one on a ranger boat that the lower unit hit a stump, on that boat we used silastic behind the aluminum and then another plate on the inside, I think they ran bolts through it..It held together for long time, till he died and his son sold the boat.
Old 11-23-06, 09:21 AM   #7
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Aluminum is good plywood ok but I have found a product for the tin boats called HighFax that is just plain AWSOME. And its CHEAP!!!! Indesctuctible and a few screws and you are off and fishing. JB you ever heard of HighFax?????
Old 11-29-06, 10:25 PM   #8
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FASTLASER View Post
Aluminum is good plywood ok but I have found a product for the tin boats called HighFax that is just plain AWSOME. And its CHEAP!!!! Indesctuctible and a few screws and you are off and fishing. JB you ever heard of HighFax?????
What is this Awesome product? Is it a metal, and is it readily available? Thanks.

Lizards
Old 12-01-06, 06:53 PM   #9
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

HighFax is a material used in the building industry. Plainly its nylon that has been formed under EXTREME pressure. Impervious to the elements and stronger than steel. Any industrial supply should be able to get it for ya. If ya need some and cant find it give me a holler and I will locate it for ya.
Old 12-02-06, 06:20 PM   #10
lizardsrule

I measured the size that's on it currently. It's a 15" W X 10" H with the lower corners cut off at a 45 degree angle. Is the angle anything at all to worry about? I will check into this HighFax, but it sounds like overkill for my little boat? I however will do the checking on it, and see how the price is.

Lizards
Old 12-02-06, 07:01 PM   #11
zooker

high fax is a material that we use under feed chains. takes about 3 years of round the clock use to wear it out..

zooker
Old 12-03-06, 01:20 PM   #12
JB

lizards,
for that small a piece I can send you a couple pieces of alum....fed express ...
7 guage alum(.188) (3/16) inch thick
or 1/4 (.125) and have the lower corners cut at a 45 if ya want..pm me your addy and I'll make it monday and send it out...let me know how many inches on the bottom the 45 degree cut is..I am guessing a inch or so? its no biggie, JB
Old 12-03-06, 10:09 PM   #13
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
lizards,
for that small a piece I can send you a couple pieces of alum....fed express ...
7 guage alum(.188) (3/16) inch thick
or 1/4 (.125) and have the lower corners cut at a 45 if ya want..pm me your addy and I'll make it monday and send it out...let me know how many inches on the bottom the 45 degree cut is..I am guessing a inch or so? its no biggie, JB
That's mighty nice of ya I don't know what to say other than thanks

Lizards
Old 12-04-06, 08:02 AM   #14
JB

send me your addy, i am at work and have the metal cut, and we have our own fedex hub, so I can send it out...its 15 inches by 10 inches correct? I gota 3/16th of a inch thick aluminum piece cut, do you need a couple of them or an extra one that is bigger? let me know..
Old 12-04-06, 08:13 AM   #15
lizardsrule

PM sent with Addy. Thanks for your great effort and consideration JB, you're on my GREAT GUY LIST.

Lizards

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.