Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-07, 11:51 PM   #1
Bass'n'cast
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default What lure to use...?

well it was this afternoon around six i went fishing at a gravel pit with some weeds and no real cover. i was using a plastic worm and then i switched to a rooster tail, caught a crappie, and a shad rap but no bass. What should i be using in this weather in Northern Indiana? its about 80 degrees or so and the water temp is about 65-70. I just can't get them to strike what's deal?
Bass'n'cast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-07, 08:08 AM   #2
Mac1

It may be your presentation isn't right for the time. If you are swimming the worm too fast, they may not want to chase it. If you are hopping the worm, it may be too active for their particular mood. If the worm is too heavily weighted...it may be that weight factor as well. Color of the worm may be something as well.

Try some of the following. With a black worm, preferably with a ribbon tail, and no weight, swim the worm slowly across the top of the existing weeds...pause it occasionally to let it sink, work it back to the top and swim it slowly again on the surface. If you don't get a hit in ten casts, change locations.

If you have tried 4 or 5 locations, try the following. Switch colors. Try a green pumpkin or if the water is very clear, try a grasshopper ring worm with a 1/16 ounce bullet weight...cast out and let fall to bottom. Wait 15 seconds, then take one s l o w crank on your reel, watching line at all times, then pause another 15 seconds....still watching line....another s l o w crank.....keep this up until the worm has travelled 8 to 10 feet across the bottom.....if nothing, reel in and try another likely spot.

Try a pack of zoom speedworms in watermelon/red. Cut off the speedworm tails. If they have a hooktail, cut them a half inch up on the worm body, if they have a paddle tail with no hook, pinch them off at the thin spot. Texpose a worm body on a 2/0 worm hook and use it that way, no weight. Use a skipping cast. Then let it fall to bottom. Wait 30 seconds, then lift two feet off bottom to feel for fish....if nothing, let re-fall and wait another 20 seconds......lift slowly again two feet, if nothing, twitch the bait once, if nothing picks it up, reel in and cast to another likely spot.

Of the three above suggestions, I personally have the most faith in the last....the one with the speedworm bodies. Remember, the color must be watermelon/red (green with red glitter.}

I notice you started at 6 but didn't say how long you fished. Sometimes the bass turn on later in the evening and may only feed actively for 20 minutes or so closer to dark.

Hope you can try the different ideas. If one works well, kindly post your results....good fishing, Mac
Mac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-07, 10:25 AM   #3
Bass'n'cast

I fished till 10:30 pm. I didnt mention that my buddy did catcha 13 inch bass just a baby, but it was like ok here we go there pickin up now but that was it. I am definetly gunna try your advice. i thing one thing was my location i spent 4 and a half hours in a 100ft radius from where i started.
Bass'n'cast is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.