Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-25-09, 06:32 PM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default 2010 bassmaster classic picks?

I know it's early, but I wanna who y'all think will be in the top 12 for the 2010 classic, February 19-21, in Birmingham, Ala.

These are the contenders:
Casey Ashley Donalds, S.C.
Tommy Biffle Wagoner, Okla.
Denny Brauer Camdenton, Mo.
Stephen Browning Hot Springs, Ark.
Terry Butcher Talala, Okla.
Brent Chapman Lake Quivira, Kan.
Boyd Duckett Demopolis, Ala.
Todd Faircloth Jasper, Texas
Jami Fralick Martin, S.D.
Shaw Grigsby Gainesville, Fla.
Greg Hackney Gonzales, La.
Matt Herren Trussville, Ala.
Randy Howell Springville, Ala.
Michael Iaconelli Runnemede, N.J.
Alton Jones Waco, Texas
Kelly Jordon Mineola, Texas
Steve Kennedy Auburn, Ala.
Gary Klein Weatherford, Texas
Jeff Kriet Ardmore, Okla.
Bobby Lane Lakeland, Fla.
Russ Lane Prattville, Ala.
Aaron Martens Leeds, Ala.
Billy McCaghren Mayflower, Ark.
Mike McClelland Bella Vista, Ark.
Mark Menendez Paducah, Ky.
John Murray Phoenix, Ariz.
Takahiro Omori Emory, Texas
Cliff Pace Petal, Miss.
Jason Quinn Lake Wylie, S.C.
Dean Rojas Lake Havasu, Ariz.
Kevin Short Mayflower, Ark.
Gerald Swindle Warrior, Ala.
Mark Tucker St. Louis, Mo.
Kevin VanDam Kalamazoo, Mich.
Byron Velvick Del Rio, Texas
Kevin Wirth Crestwood, Ky.

Here's my picks thus far:

1)KVD
2)Michael Iaconelli
3)Billy McCaghren
4)Dean Rojas
5)Casey Ashley
6)Kelly Jordon
7)Aaron Martens
8)Todd Faircloth
9)Denny Brauer
10)Randy Howell
11)Alton Jones
12)Gerald Swindle

Last edited by Bassboss; 12-26-09 at 09:19 AM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-09, 06:50 PM   #2
nofearengineer

My Bassmasters viewing experience has been limited, but I have to say, other than the obvious guys like Van Damm and Skeet Reese (not in the 2010 classic?), I really like Kelly Jordan. He seems more like the fisherman I aspire to be....not a showboat.
Old 12-27-09, 12:04 AM   #3
Jigger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
I know it's early, but I wanna who y'all think will be in the top 12 for the 2010 classic, February 19-21, in Birmingham, Ala.

These are the contenders:
Casey Ashley Donalds, S.C.
Tommy Biffle Wagoner, Okla.
Denny Brauer Camdenton, Mo.
Stephen Browning Hot Springs, Ark.
Terry Butcher Talala, Okla.
Brent Chapman Lake Quivira, Kan.
Boyd Duckett Demopolis, Ala.
Todd Faircloth Jasper, Texas
Jami Fralick Martin, S.D.
Shaw Grigsby Gainesville, Fla.
Greg Hackney Gonzales, La.
Matt Herren Trussville, Ala.
Randy Howell Springville, Ala.
Michael Iaconelli Runnemede, N.J.
Alton Jones Waco, Texas
Kelly Jordon Mineola, Texas
Steve Kennedy Auburn, Ala.
Gary Klein Weatherford, Texas
Jeff Kriet Ardmore, Okla.
Bobby Lane Lakeland, Fla.
Russ Lane Prattville, Ala.
Aaron Martens Leeds, Ala.
Billy McCaghren Mayflower, Ark.
Mike McClelland Bella Vista, Ark.
Mark Menendez Paducah, Ky.
John Murray Phoenix, Ariz.
Takahiro Omori Emory, Texas
Cliff Pace Petal, Miss.
Jason Quinn Lake Wylie, S.C.
Dean Rojas Lake Havasu, Ariz.
Kevin Short Mayflower, Ark.
Gerald Swindle Warrior, Ala.
Mark Tucker St. Louis, Mo.
Kevin VanDam Kalamazoo, Mich.
Byron Velvick Del Rio, Texas
Kevin Wirth Crestwood, Ky.

Here's my picks thus far:

1)KVD
2)Michael Iaconelli
3)Billy McCaghren
4)Dean Rojas
5)Casey Ashley
6)Kelly Jordon
7)Aaron Martens
8)Todd Faircloth
9)Denny Brauer
10)Randy Howell
11)Alton Jones
12)Gerald Swindle
My favorites, not necessarily who I think will win.

1.Gary Klein. A really nice guy. I'm pulling for him first and foremost. A true veteran. He deserves to win.
2.Alton Jones. A class act.
3.Tommy Biffle. Been second twice. An old timer.
4.Greg Hackney. Country boy. The real deal.
5.Kelly Jordan. Loads of talent. I would not be surprised.
6.Casey Ashley. young gun with lots of ability.
7.Shaw Grigsby. Multi talented. Good with a fly rod. I like that.
8.Jami Fralick. Came close last year. Northern boy. Good fisherman. Underdog.
9.Stephen Browning. Unassuming.
10.Bobby Lane. young gun from Fla. I like him.
11.Randy Howell. Seems like a nice guy.
12.Todd Faircloth. Seems like a nice guy too.

Here are the jerks and grunts and the ones I'm pulling against:
1.Mike Iconelli. Show off. Jackass.
2.Gerald Swindle. Ditto.
3.Aaron Martens. Creep. Crybaby. Whiner. I hope he's last.

KVD. I really respect and admire him. A class act but I'm pulling against him. Let someone else win.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-09, 12:17 AM   #4
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I'm going with The Hack Attack. Nice guy. I'm pulling for him.
Old 12-27-09, 10:21 AM   #5
Jigger

Hey, what about the winner of the women's tour? Are they not doing that anymore. I hope not. That's so unfair to those who really earned their way in.
Old 12-27-09, 10:33 AM   #6
rodnreel

I'm wondering the same thing, nofear. Why is Skeet not on that list? The defending champs are always invited back. He would be included in my front runners list along with Aaron Martens, Ike, and Swindle. I really like Swindle for this tourney to break through and win his first Elite Series tournament in his home state of Alabama.
Old 12-27-09, 11:52 AM   #7
Jigger

OK, here are my top 12 picks to WIN, in this order (subject to revision as I learn more about the lake and the conditions as it gets closer to blast off).

1.KVD. Duh.
2.Skeet Reese. Not a fan of his but he's good.
3.Mike Iconelli. Not a fan of his either but he lives his mantra----never give up.
4.Kelly Jordon. Close to KVD in talent---but not that close, but who is?
5.Gary Klein. Sentimental favorite. I think he's been there twenty something times.
6.Alton Jones. Has the ability. He proved it already.
7.Greg Hackney.
8.Bobby Lane. I may delete him later. Florida boy kind of new to the tour and fishing in Feb. Lots of talent though and hungry. Long shot.
9.Tommy Biffle. Been second twice. Sentimental favorite. The stars would have to align for him. Kind of a one trick pony. Flipper/Pitcher.May delete him later.
10.Mark Menendez. Versatile.
11.Boyd Duckett. Did it once before.
12.Gerald Swindle. Not a fan. Should know the lake. He's from Alabama.
Old 12-27-09, 08:08 PM   #8
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger View Post
OK, here are my top 12 picks to WIN, in this order (subject to revision as I learn more about the lake and the conditions as it gets closer to blast off).

1.KVD. Duh.
2.Skeet Reese. Not a fan of his but he's good.
3.Mike Iconelli. Not a fan of his either but he lives his mantra----never give up.
4.Kelly Jordon. Close to KVD in talent---but not that close, but who is?
5.Gary Klein. Sentimental favorite. I think he's been there twenty something times.
6.Alton Jones. Has the ability. He proved it already.
7.Greg Hackney.
8.Bobby Lane. I may delete him later. Florida boy kind of new to the tour and fishing in Feb. Lots of talent though and hungry. Long shot.
9.Tommy Biffle. Been second twice. Sentimental favorite. The stars would have to align for him. Kind of a one trick pony. Flipper/Pitcher.May delete him later.
10.Mark Menendez. Versatile.
11.Boyd Duckett. Did it once before.
12.Gerald Swindle. Not a fan. Should know the lake. He's from Alabama.
Jigger,
Although I think you made some good picks and I agree with several of them, I do disagree with some of what you said. First off Kelly Jordan is a great angler but I really don't think he is the closest to KVD. Not sure who that honor would go to but a few of the guys I would rank above KJ are Mike McClellend, Mike Iaconelli, and Skeet Reese. I don't consider Bobby Lane a long shot by anymeans, he has been around for quite a while and has proven himself on the FLW tour and has established himself really well so far on the B.A.S.S side as well. Tommy Biffle may be known as a flipper and pitcher but non of these guys are one trick ponies, they all are outstanding at any technique they need to use or they wouldn't be fishing at this level. KVD is known for slinging spinnerbaits while burning down a bank with the trolling motor on high but don't think for a minute that he can't slow down and flip, dropshot, or anyother technique if he needs to and the same can be said for any of the other guys on tour. Just look at the event Dean Rojas won on Oneida a while back. He is known for throwing a frog and that is what kept him in the lead for the first 3 days, but conditions changed and his frog bite dried up on him and he won the event with a flipping stick in his hands while pitching shallow grass, they are all versatile. And you called Gerald Swindle a showoff and a jackass, I have met the guy before and I can honestly say that I was amazed at how down to earth and fun to be around Gerald is. He can come across in a way that will turn people off at times but at the end of the day he is a good ol boy that deserves a lot of respect for his abilities. I can't stand to see Iaconelli go crazy, it makes him look like a moron and honestly makes me uncomfortable to watch at times. But I also know for a fact that Ike is a very down to earth guy who is a very different person that you would expect when you meet him. A lot of what you see from these guys is them making themselves marketable for companies, it's a business and whether it's done by tournament finishes or by their personalities they have to market themselves in a way that companies want them on their prostaff, it's how they pay the bills but a lot of times it leaves a lot of these guys being misunderstood because of how they come across. Anyways I just thought I would say my peace on this subject and also make a few pics of my own.

1. Gerald Swindle ( I am a fan but that isn't why I picked him), he is a local boy who will most likely be a factor.

2. Dean Rojas, I really think this lake will set up well for him.

3. Mike Iaconelli, this guy just amazes me with his ability catch fish everywhere they go.

Dark horses that I would like to see do well:

1. Gerald Swindle, he has been through a lot the last few years and is too good of an angler to not have a tournament win and why not notch his first one at home in Alabama in the biggest tournament of them all.

2. Steve Kennedy, just seems like a great guy and is probably my favorite of all the anglers.

3. Terry Butcher, I have fished against him in several tournaments and it's just too cool to see him in the classic.

4. Jeff Kreit, no matter how good of a tournament Jeff Kreit has, KVD always seems to sneak up behind him with just enough weight to beat him. I would like to see him return the favor.
Old 12-28-09, 12:47 PM   #9
Jigger

Carolina,
Thanks for your opinions. They are well reasoned. Good picks. I've never met any of these guys and all I have to base my opinions on is TV, Bassmaster magazine, Bass Times, Bassin' and other fishing publications I watch or read religiously.

About the only thing I take issue with is that guys like Swindle and Iconelli and Aaron Martens do some of the things they do to make them selves more "marketable". I may be out of touch or out of date but their behavior on TV makes me NOT want to buy anything any of those 3 are promoting. I think Ranger boats agreed with me after they abandoned Iconelli after the American flag incident.
Old 12-28-09, 12:52 PM   #10
Gbassman

boyd duckett is going to go for a repeat! He has home field advantage.
Old 12-28-09, 02:15 PM   #11
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
About the only thing I take issue with is that guys like Swindle and Iconelli and Aaron Martens do some of the things they do to make them selves more "marketable". I may be out of touch or out of date but their behavior on TV makes me NOT want to buy anything any of those 3 are promoting. I think Ranger boats agreed with me after they abandoned Iconelli after the American flag incident.
I could not agree with you more about the Iaconelli/American flag tantrum. He was out of line and he lost almost all of his sponsors for it, rightfully so. He worked hard to build a career with these companies and he ruined it in less than a minute, and it was his fault. I read an article where he talked about that whole deal and what it did to his outlook on how he has been behaving. He realized that he acted childish and almost ruined a career that most of us would kill to have but it also was a great lesson for him about how fast things can come undone. Since then he has been much more well behaved. Like I said earlier I am not really a fan of Ikes and when he "Goes Ike" it drives me nuts but I also realize that it is a way for him to seperate himself from the rest of the pack as far as being marketable and name recognition. By the way I also agree that Aaron Martins comes across as a cry baby, never met the guy though and he may be a super guy who just rubs me the wrong way so I really can't say. I didn't mean to hi-jack your post though, I really like hearing everyones opinions on who will win the Classic.
Old 12-28-09, 03:40 PM   #12
Jigger

Carolina,
No apology necessary. I like someone with an opinion whether they agree with me or not.

So, what did you think of what Swindle did in driving within a few feet of Randy Howell and a spectator boat going about 60 mph and then getting disqualified for doing it and then crying about it on camera? That and his other antics on TV doesn't endear him to me either. You've met him and he well may be a really nice guy but all I and others like me have to judge him by is his behavior on TV or what we read about him.
Old 12-28-09, 10:26 PM   #13
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
So, what did you think of what Swindle did in driving within a few feet of Randy Howell and a spectator boat going about 60 mph and then getting disqualified for doing it and then crying about it on camera?
It was a stupid decision on his part. After hearing all of the reasons for why he did it, I have to say I see where he is coming from but I still disagree with his decision to do it. It's true that if he were to idle through the area that he would have done more harm to Randy Howells spot, that does make sense to me but it was still a bad decision and I agree with B.A.S.S. making the decision to DQ him. As for him crying about it on tv goes, well I can understand how heartbroke he must have been. He was going to be a big player in that Classic and had the fish that day to do some real damage only to have it all washed away by a bad choice on his part. I am sure he was emberassed as well as heartbroke and when you have the amount of passion for the sport as those guys do, I assure you that there are a lot of other guys who would have sobbed like that as well. I refuse to look down on anyone who cries over something like that, hell what about the guys who win and cry. Believe me I would probably be crying just like them if I were in their shoes and truth be told so would a lot of other guys. I appreciate the passion Gerald Swindle has for the sport and the rest of the pro angler too for that matter. It makes it all the better for us who follow it because we know that it means as much to them as it would mean to us, unlike other pro sports where you see a bunch of athletes drawing way too much money and putting out half hearted efforts (why I like college football over the NFL and part of the reason I hate the NBA).
Old 12-28-09, 11:54 PM   #14
Jigger

Carolina,
I respect you and your opinions. I really do. You make a good attempt to explain Swindle and what he did. Thank you for your well reasoned response. However, here's where I disagree with your good attempt to defend him: What he did, in the heat of the moment was indeed understandable and even forgiveable because it was in the heat of the moment. I could see myself speeding through Howell and the spectator boat after Howell gave him the go-ahead. Note that the spectator boat was there and "he" didn't give him the go-ahead or even know how to.

The problem I have with Swindle is that after he had time to think it over, he NEVER apologised for his irrational behavior and for the danger he created for Howell or the spectator boat, his only concern was about how HE was treated unfairly and what it meant to HIM to be disqualified. Never a mention about the danger he created.

Had he apologised to Howell and the spectator boat and admitted his mistake, I would have accepted his apology and forgiven him but when he tried to lay the blame on the Tournament director and when he tried to make himself the scapegoat in a very dangerous incident that was his and only his fault, I stand by my original assessment of the man: "He's a jackass" at least as to this incident. And then to add insult to injury, he cried like a school girl on TV. I have no respect for the man.

You seem like a sincere and honorable person. I suggest you find a new Hero.

Last edited by Jigger; 12-29-09 at 10:22 AM.
Old 12-29-09, 01:31 PM   #15
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Carolina,
I respect you and your opinions. I really do. You make a good attempt to explain Swindle and what he did. Thank you for your well reasoned response. However, here's where I disagree with your good attempt to defend him: What he did, in the heat of the moment was indeed understandable and even forgiveable because it was in the heat of the moment. I could see myself speeding through Howell and the spectator boat after Howell gave him the go-ahead. Note that the spectator boat was there and "he" didn't give him the go-ahead or even know how to.

The problem I have with Swindle is that after he had time to think it over, he NEVER apologised for his irrational behavior and for the danger he created for Howell or the spectator boat, his only concern was about how HE was treated unfairly and what it meant to HIM to be disqualified. Never a mention about the danger he created.

Had he apologised to Howell and the spectator boat and admitted his mistake, I would have accepted his apology and forgiven him but when he tried to lay the blame on the Tournament director and when he tried to make himself the scapegoat in a very dangerous incident that was his and only his fault, I stand by my original assessment of the man: "He's a jackass" at least as to this incident. And then to add insult to injury, he cried like a school girl on TV. I have no respect for the man.

You seem like a sincere and honorable person. I suggest you find a new Hero.
Ok well to start with I never said the word hero, I said I was a fan and to me there is a difference between the two. And I really wasn't defending Gerald in that incident at all. I can understand why he did what he did but that doesn't mean I approve of him doing it. When he first came out on stage and talked about the DQ you are right he didn't mention much other than the fact that he wanted everyone to know that he didn't cheat. Later there were a few interviews done where Gerald apologized to all of his sponsors and to the fans for his actions, and I think that is a more ideal time for him to get into making apologies anyways. Like I said I will not tell you that I think he was in the right, I know better than that. I will tell you that I can understand how in the heat of the moment something like that could happen, but understanding how it could happen or agreeing with it are two very different things. I will not blame him for his emotions following the DQ however, going through that (although self induced) would make it very hard not to show your emotions.
Old 12-29-09, 02:14 PM   #16
Captmikestarrett
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

For me it is a total toss up between Byod and Skeet. One of those guys will win..

Capt Mike
Old 12-29-09, 10:32 PM   #17
keysd13

My top in 5 no order.
1.Mike McClelland
2. Cliff Pace
3. Ike
4. KVD
5. Skeet

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.