Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-12, 12:46 PM   #1
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default The PROBLEM with premium rods

Yeah, I finally came to realize there is a problem with owning primium tackle. Can you guess what it is? Well let me cry in my beer and tell you. Yes, be forewarned, I am going to whine, stamp my feet, and pout so if you don't want to hear it, go back to the forum and do not read further.

I purposedly am ommiting brand names to avoid offending anyone or inviting negative comments. Some of you know and that's OK, because if you do then you are a friend, and I accept all commentary from friends, be it positive or negative well, usually I do.

OK, to begin I stipulate (get it WTL?) that I am a spoiled rotten, used to getting what I want individual and it looks like I have come to a wall that I'm just not willing to bust through. Maybe if I was still working the wall would have been demolished without much thought, but since I'm on a fixed income now - yes the whine is getting to a detectable level. It will get a bit louder in the next paragraph, that is if you've made it this far.

Oh, have you figured out what the problem is yet.

OK, you're still here? It's been about 15 years since I started fishing again, bought a boat and began amassing tackle, specifically rods & reels. I started out with bargain basement stuff until I decided to get a bit serious with it. Every couple years I'd upgrade my combo's - I'm now on my 4th generation of combo's (that's the first hint).

My current locker full of rods are what I considered, at the time (3 years ago), to be the very best rod, IN MY PRICE RANGE, available on the market. I also had the experience with the brand, by again upgrading through the various models of rods this manfacturer offered (also at a somewhat considerable expense). I have to also say, I have been very happy with all the rods I've owned in this brand.

Still here? Last warning - the tears and foot stomping is about to start. Those that know me may have figured out where this is going but if not, please read on.

As I said it's been 3 years since I bought new rods. Yep, I have the bug. Actually I'm bleeding from the latest monkey attack and recovery looks long and difficult and isn't guaranteed. So to the topic of this post - the problem with premium rods (just so we are on the same page $300+ catagory) is trying to sell them. The secondary market, I'm finding, is brutal.

Now, I've put out feelers and I am arrogant enough to say, my rods are very well maintained. You'll find narry a scratch on any of them and they are 3 years old. I keep them in rod socks always, etc. etc. but the bottom line is they don't look used at all. OK, I'm stomping my feet a little. So, as they are used but in very nice shape, when asked HOW MUCH? - which is always the first question - I throw out half price, 50% off, which is about the usuall (even for non-exceptional condition rods). That puts a very nice, premium grade rod in the mid-level price point. Comparable to a mid-level BPS or Cabela's brand rod. I think that's a bargain - but not many agree with me. Sorry, that was just me kicking over a chair.

I guess with my perspective, I would very much like to stumble across an opportunity, such as the one I thought I was offering, but haven't been that lucky. I do understand that with the current state of our economy, not many may be in a position to purchase my entire offering, I know it would be a considerable expense for a lot of guys. But I would think it would be fairly easy to take a couple and be very happy with getting, again, what I consider a good deal on a really good (IMO) rod.

So after some thoughtfull reflection I don't think I'll be getting new rods anytime soon. I'll have to lick my monkey wounds and trudge onward. I've been totally insulted by this experience with the low ball offers and derogatory statments about the rods. Really, if you have negative opinions about the brand - WTF are you contacting me and asking about them? I've found myself on the edge of going to war with a couple of these people. The thing that really raises my hackles is a "prospective" buyer with the "this is my offer, take it or leave it" comment - huh? Take it or leave it? I mean get real, with an attitude like that, I definitely won't sell it to you. I can deal with some negotiation, but playing hard nose on a low ball offer? That pizzes me off as it's a total waste of my (actually both parties) time. Then it's "well you never know, it doesn't hurt to try" - really, I listed my items with a price and didn't say "or REASONABE offer" (I consider unreasonalbe offers to be understood as totally unacceptable). It must be my generational thing - the attitudes of some guys today is so freakin' unbelievable. I'll be back in a minute, I gotta take a time out.

Is it too early for a martini? Maybe a bloody, Mary that's a good "early" drink.

OK, back to my rant.......................

The other issue is shipping - have you shipped a rod lately? PVC isn't cheap either. And when you don't include shipping in your "asking price" buyers want you to ship it free? FREE? Well maybe if you buy 3 rods I'll ship free (if I have to in order to make a sale), but for one rod - no way, takes too much away from the rod price. Guys that don't want to purchase multiple rods, still want free shipping, I'm not tackle-whatever-house with a shipping agreement or high volume profit that would allow me to offer shipping free. I also offer (in fairness) shipping by the tube - usually up to 3 rods, that's a savings over a per rod shipping add on. So if you don't like paying $25 to have a rod shipped, buy 2 or 3 then the additional shipping fee gives you better value and is easier for me also. Does BPS or Cabela's ship free? Well yes, on a special promotion, but normally they recover ALL their shipping costs (and usually charge extra for rods over 6' - they know how much it costs to ship AND they ship in cardboard tubes, yuk!). I look at shipping as a cost of getting an item, above the cost of that item, in exchange for not have to drive and pick it up. Opps, there goes another chair. That got me more irritated than I intended.

So the problem is - trying to sell a premium rod and not get hosed on your investment. If you choose, or have chosen, a premium brand - I hope you really like it and, unlike me, don't plan on changing over after a few years. Reselling can be difficult, especially with a large offering (I put up 15 rods). This was a little surprising to me for a couple reasons. A large offering seems to indicate that the seller is desperate - I'm not - and I had very little issues selling my rods from generation 1 through 3, or any other item actually including reels, lures etc. I usually sell (as I often see others) at 50% - 75% of what I paid dependant upon item, condition and age. I'm guessing half priced is still "expensive" to many, when you get into this price point, without consideration of what the item actually represents.

It's been a boring morning, a little rain and I have some chores to do a little latter. My rant is about over and I'm happy (for now anyway) with the decision to keep my current stock of rods. Hey, I'm not getting any younger, so do I really need NEW rods? My "old rods" have served me well for several years and deserve my loyality and continued care.

OK, I'm done and you can all now berate me for being a spoiled cry baby. That I have it so good and am whining about nothing. That I should be content with my situation, but that's the problem with being spoiled - we can never be satisified. Go ahead, take your shots and have your fun MAKE MY DAY.

If you made it this far - I hope you found some of the above sarcasim a little bit funny. There is some truth to it, but mainly I was poking fun at my stupid situation. It did run a little longer than intended, guess I got carried away. If not

Hey, parting thought: those new Diawa reels look awesome, maybe it's tme to upgrade. Gotta kill that freakin' monkey.................

Last edited by bassboogieman; 03-01-12 at 12:52 PM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-12, 01:39 PM   #2
MississippiBoy

Old 03-01-12, 02:35 PM   #3
islandbass

I think some one needs to go fishing. The cabin fever has run rampant in you as it has in me.

I'm suffering from Cabin fever too, but my thoughts have been dwelling on are things like:

1) Does a rod have a true effective length?
2) Is a rod balanced at neutral or rest (you know balancing a rod on your finger or point) meaningful or matter if the rod kept pointed more toward the water while fishing? Does the lure used influence this positively or negatively?
3) Why in the effing h-e-double hockey sticks does fishing for bass from the shore absolutely suck in the winter? It's practically zero chance in my neck of the woods.

At least we have the ranting in common, bassboogie!

@ Mississippi: That is a cool pic!
Old 03-01-12, 08:10 PM   #4
bassinbob

The only problem I have with premium rods is when I break one.
Old 03-01-12, 08:43 PM   #5
bassboogieman

I hear ya - I've broken two rods, none of the top-of-the-line rods LUCKILY. But it still hurts, especially when it's due to stupidity. I slammed a locker lid on one, the other I flopped a fish on the deck and went to lay the rod down lost grip when fish flopped and I grabbed the rod tip, next flop = snap. I heard a lot of complaints about certain rod brands breaking on hook-sets or for "no apparent reason", well I haven't done it and I've fished a rod with that rep for nearly 10 years. Broke two in that time, as I said above due to my own fault in not paying proper attention. I could start a whole new discussion on rod warranties - but I won't. That discussion would go in the crapper as fast as a political one.
Old 03-01-12, 10:00 PM   #6
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Tell ya what bud, you know the old saying, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Well, if your premium rods are working well, then feel glad about that and hang onto them. No sense in virtually giving them away. Unless you want to give them to me of course. Take the money you would have spent on all those great new rods and take a fishing trip to a destination you've always dreamed about. You'll be able to scratch one off your bucket list and still keep the monkey happy.

Last edited by keithdog; 03-01-12 at 11:12 PM.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-12, 10:27 PM   #7
WTL

Yeah, I pretty much agree with the posts in this thread. It sucks that they arent a better investment, but thats how it is.

As for breaking rods, I broke 2 inches off my lamiglass excel yesterday. It hurts actually worse because the rod is still usable, and I cant decide if I should ship it back or live with it.
Old 03-01-12, 10:53 PM   #8
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Maybe a bloody, Mary that's a good "early" drink.

It's not just for breakfast anymore!

Just to add a little fuel to your ire, I've heard (on this board) that one or the other big tackle stores charge the same shipping fee, for each rod. Then all rods arrive in 1 tube!

That pisses you off more, eh?

Seriously though...at some point (I'm not there yet), enough has to be enough. Sounds like you've got some serious money tied up into some serious quality. Might be time to stick with that gear
Old 03-01-12, 11:20 PM   #9
joedog

Mississip...good meter.
Bruce in my opinion you weren't whining enough.
Nice equipment should bring a fair return, simple as that. The care you take of your exuipment is something I find very admirable.Your feelings in my eyes is TOTALLY justified!
My biggest horror story is- Two springs ago I had gotten a new Legend rod and was so excited to fish it I didn't care about weather success or nothing. I just wanted to throw a lure on my new rod. Last week of the season, first Sun. in March, and it was windy as hell. I didn't plan ahead and it was a last minute decision so my mind was focusing on everything other than what it should be. I'm ready to fish, decide a lipless would be better, open car door to grab a lipless and like an idiot rested pole against car. Remember the wind.....BAM, blew my door closed and took the tip of the rod with it. Never even casted it ONCE!

The next bass you catch on your next outting will cancel out your 'needing' different setups feeling fast!
Thanks for the story!
Old 03-02-12, 12:00 AM   #10
TN_Bassin

Unfortunatly rods seem to take on the same value degredation as a new car driving off the lot.

As for the low ball offers I wouldn't worry about it... most of those people pull that crap several times a day hoping they'll get lucky and get a deal from someone who is desperate.

In regards to the ones wanting free shipping just tell them you changed the price from 150 to 170 and shipping is now free
Old 03-02-12, 02:53 PM   #11
Crankbait
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
Mississip...good meter.
Bruce in my opinion you weren't whining enough.
Nice equipment should bring a fair return, simple as that. The care you take of your exuipment is something I find very admirable.Your feelings in my eyes is TOTALLY justified!
My biggest horror story is- Two springs ago I had gotten a new Legend rod and was so excited to fish it I didn't care about weather success or nothing. I just wanted to throw a lure on my new rod. Last week of the season, first Sun. in March, and it was windy as hell. I didn't plan ahead and it was a last minute decision so my mind was focusing on everything other than what it should be. I'm ready to fish, decide a lipless would be better, open car door to grab a lipless and like an idiot rested pole against car. Remember the wind.....BAM, blew my door closed and took the tip of the rod with it. Never even casted it ONCE!

The next bass you catch on your next outting will cancel out your 'needing' different setups feeling fast!
Thanks for the story!
ouch!!! that hurts....i feel you on that one and i'm not even a rod guy
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-12, 04:49 PM   #12
bassinbob

WTL I broke my first Kistler LTA and retipped it. It worked fine but it always bothered me afterwards. It always felt like I was fishing with a broken rod. I'd suggest sending it back. Funny thing is I broke it again. I broke the tip off my Kistler Magnesium. I retipped this one and am still using it. I broke a couple of less costly rods also. Didn't reuse them. All breaks were because of trying to free snags with the exception of the Kistler Mag. It broke in the bed of my truck when something rolled on it.
Old 03-02-12, 05:27 PM   #13
bassboogieman

Kistlers, hummmmmmmmmmmmmmm? Again, I hear ya. They have a bad rap as to breakage, but I see you pointed out it wasn't totally the rods fault, I give you serious credit for your honesty. I do believe a lot of those complaints are unjustified. My experience with them over the last 9 years has been they are as durable as any other premium stick - as long as you don't abuse them. Crap, guess I let the cat outta da bag, there.

Nine years, and I love the rods -all of them that I've tried, but especially my current LTX's (Helium II). Truthfully, I'm not really happy with the brand today (I mean the rods produced late '09 - China, and Kistler was VERY reluctant to admit that as he was with other issues - and the business, generally, from that time until the present), but as for the rods Kistler produced up until 2009, they are very good rods.

This contributed towards my thinking of getting into another brand. The LTX line was degraded in 2010 in materials & price and finally discontinued. I love the rods (think I said that), but I have concerns with finding replacements should I break one or just decide I "need" another and they are getting harder to find. It's problematic for me as I've become pretty anal about wanting all my rods to be the same brand/model for specific techniques as I really like the consistancy of feel when picking up a rod.

But the responses/comments received in this thread have made it easier for me to tell the Monkey to go "F" off for now, and retain the rods I have. I just have to be sure to continue taking care of them, so they can continue to serve me well in the seasons to follow. Thanks everyone, really, for letting me vent, help get this out of my system, and go forward knowing I made the right choice.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 03-02-12 at 05:33 PM.
Old 03-02-12, 06:25 PM   #14
bamabassman

stop whinning and call bubba or flap jack for another rod bruce. oyur wife will "pay" for it. remember waht oyu said to me aobut "payment"? lol!!!
Old 03-08-12, 05:13 PM   #15
Mike304
BassFishin.Com Member

Wow! I think thats the longest post I've ever seen!!!! However I can find no fault in it.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.