Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-06, 04:36 PM   #1
PowerBass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Wading for Largemouth Bass

Hey all, I found a cheap alternative to a boat for now at least. I just got a pro gear wading set, chest high neoprene, on sale from walamrt, and I can now wade my favorite lake, it has an average depth of 3.5, but this one area I know is about 2-3 ft deep max. Anyone ever wade small lakes and ponds before?

Also, waht lures would be carried on your vest?

Another thing is rod selection, I can only take 1 rod out, and dont feel like coming back in for a different technique everytime So I decided on my 5ft 6in Pistol Grip rod, now here the kicker, it takes 10-20 lb line, and I have spools of both, but I was thingking 20 lb because Lake has cover, lots of it, and it would be a good all around line choice I think.

I also was debating on my flippin stick, I may be able to put a second rod in the rod holder on my vest...

What are your opinions on all this?
Old 02-27-06, 04:48 PM   #2
Wishing2BFishing

Powerbass, I also do some wading in lakes. You see, my boat stays at my Mom's place in New Jersey. She lives on a private lake that requires that boats be registered with the community. There are no boat ramps.

Anyway, the wading stuff isn't so bad especially if you can find a lake that is relatively shallow. Sometimes it is quite enjoyable to walk your way out and really work the structure.

Regarding your rod selection, I am not so sure that I would stay with a 5'6" length. You might want to step up to a 6'6" or even a 7' MH. This will help your distance with the casts and let you work the cabbage without any problems.

Regarding lures, this is always a problem when I wade because I have a hard time scaling down to just what I can carry. I usually try to bring the my main staples: Senkos in Green Pumpkin and Baby Bass, Tubes in Green Pumpkin and Baby Bass, Crankbaits (DT4 and DT6), some Flukes - smoke color, and a bottle of water.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-06, 04:49 PM   #3
Fishing4Soup
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Well since all i do is fish ponds, i wade almost every time. Where i fish it is about 3-5 ft deep so we have a similar senario. I fish the jointed rapala with HUGE success so i always have 2 of them on me. You should really only use stuff that is going to be not very loud when it hits the water because getting into the water in waders spooks the fish already. With this in mind i fish weightless senkos and for some reason, a mister twister chartreuse colored single tail grub on a jighead works wonders in my pond for largemouth. I also fish an exude nightcrawler or powerbait worm in a carolina rig...that works well too. Try to move only when you absolutely have to, because the fish become finicky after you take a step. And the most helpful tip, don't fall in. It's a nasty thing filling up your waders but it's easy getting up in stillwater...streams are a whole other thing...good luck!
Fishing4Soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-06, 05:04 PM   #4
Wishing2BFishing

FFS, I agree. Jointed Rapalas work well in ponds. I prefer the J-11 Brook Trout pattern.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-06, 05:10 PM   #5
PowerBass

I will use my 7 ft 6 flippin sitck then, it takes 1/4 oz lure up to 2 oz lures.
Old 02-27-06, 05:15 PM   #6
bass kicker

i use to wade for bass before i got my two boats but one thing you cant go wrong with while wading is spinnerbaits and poppers
Old 02-27-06, 05:24 PM   #7
K-Driz

Send a message via AIM to K-Driz

I wade creeks and lakes throughout the year. The only time I use waders is when the water and air are cold because if the water is warm or the air is really warm then you'll burn up in waders. As for a vest, forget it. Take a backpack like you'd use for school with 2 shoulder straps and keep a few tackle boxes in the big compartment with all your hardbaits and jigs and hooks and stuff. Then put all your soft plastics into the middle compartment, and put your needlenoses in the front pouch. That's the best way of wading that I know thusfar.
K-Driz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-06, 05:43 PM   #8
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'd put a belt around your chest area once you get the waders on, in case you hit a hole and go under, the waders don't fill up as fast.
Plus carry your pliers on the side somehow for easy access..
I'd go with the backpack, or take it off and sit on the bank as you wade...
I've seen some guys put the net down thier waders in the back, if you into netting fish..just be careful and dont go when the current is really strong..other than that, its a nice way to keep cool and sneak around!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-06, 05:44 PM   #9
Fishing4Soup

ya only use a vest for flyfishing
Fishing4Soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-06, 08:07 PM   #10
PowerBass

I figured out what I am gonna take, 2 bags of plastics, weights, and hooks. Then a little pocket size utility box with a popper, jointed, and buzzbait 1/8oz, and a spinnerbait in the pouch also.
Old 02-27-06, 10:15 PM   #11
striker23

Send a message via AIM to striker23

My personal preference is staying on land. thats just me though , for some reason i feel wierd if im fishing while standing in the water. ive never tried it for bass, only for trout. also, gators scare the livin daylights out of me so i dont go into my pond too often! haha
striker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-06, 10:29 PM   #12
trigr

Where you going to put your depth finder and trolling motor Wade fishing is great i wade creeks mostly for red eye and smallies the backpack idea is great cause you can put alot of different baits in a regular size box. If you have a 6'6 rod and use the lighter line you can throw any type lure.
Old 02-27-06, 11:12 PM   #13
lovinfishin9
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to lovinfishin9

you scared of gators in va?? i dont know if there is gators here but i aint never seen any.
Old 03-02-06, 02:27 PM   #14
HuckFinn

Send a message via AIM to HuckFinn

I've been wading for years. The gear you are going to carry sounds fine.
Most inportant thing is safty.
Wear a belt around Chest/waist. Will help keep water out if you hit a hole or if you trip and fall. Happened to me years ago, fell in less than two feet of water, no belt, water filled waders and I could not get up. Friends thought I was doing pushups for the fun of it. They came and got me.
Also and this is just as inportant as the belt! This happened to my son this past summer.
Carry some type of knife on the outside of your waders. Son and I carry a 4 inch fixed blade carbon steel knife, attached to the outside belt.
He was fishing the weedy shallows of a fairy big lake. Water was below waist. Hook a Pic using a top water popper (berkely frensy) The fish came straight at him. Went between his legs and around one into the deep water. He could not get untangled from the line. As he lost his balance he pulled the knife and cut the line. He went under and started to cut his boots so he could stand up, but his knee found a rock and he righted himself. I was too far away to get to him in time.
So get yourself a good knife.
We use carbon steel because it will go through braided line like butter.
some stores sell X tools which will also cut the braided line
If you use carbon steel, keep it sharp and oil it before and after each trip. It will rust. Just hit it with WD40 or whatever you put on your reels
HuckFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-06, 02:47 PM   #15
PowerBass

Huck,
Great tips thank you. Maybe we could meet in the summer, and do some wading for bass?
Old 03-03-06, 07:40 PM   #16
fishing_sniper

there was a guy that went wading around here one time all they found was his funny hat floatin in the water ....
ever been gator huntin? do that fromma boat in the same place i fish .... from a boat ....ill leave the wadin for gator bait and pple that live were there aint gators
Old 03-03-06, 08:03 PM   #17
WTL

Don't take the flipping stick. In deeper water it will be useless because the butt on a flipping stick will be in the water unless you want to hold that rod about level with your neck to cast. It will be too unweildy. Besides, its impossible to pitch when wading in water of any depth whatsoever. A 7 ft rod with a shorter handle would be good if you have one, medium action.

I use my 6 1/2 foot light baitcaster almost exclusivly while wading.
Old 03-03-06, 08:19 PM   #18
HulaPopr

Wading + Gators = not a good idea.
HulaPopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-06, 10:53 PM   #19
PowerBass

wadin in NJ with no gators= ok idea!
Old 03-04-06, 12:03 AM   #20
flfireman

Gotta go w/ Hula on this one. Wading + gators+ moccasins= no way. Now I find out there is a large number of bullsharks in the intercoastal, guess what. One more place I wont wade in anymore.
Old 03-04-06, 01:20 AM   #21
bassinbob

Powerbass careful where you step while the bass are on their beds. Don't want to destroy future bass populations. Get yourself a wading stick. Tie it to your belt. Wally world has retractable reels for knifes, etc. You can pin it on your shirt. The stick is for balance to keep yourself from falling when tripping over something or your forward foot sinks in deep mud.

Bob
Old 03-04-06, 11:27 AM   #22
pig n jig

BassinTXlady, Please tell me that wasn't powerbass in the picture you posted somewhere else ? Powerbass,You want to take baby steps when wading.I can tell you from prior experience that once you get water over top of the waders, its very difficult to get back to where your safe again.I prefer to fis from shore or wade without waders.Maybe, we can get BassinTXlady up North here and do a seminar on wade fishing. If we can I will try to get a few pictures for you Laser. Maybe you should talk to Polly about wet suits. Has anyone heard from Polly or Carpman lately ? P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-06, 11:46 AM   #23
JB

pnj,
this just in....
I heard on the news that carpman fell into a "deep hole"
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-06, 06:45 PM   #24
Christopherkeene9

Gotta go with Hula on this one!
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.