Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-09, 08:39 AM   #1
fishin spro
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Jigs for Cypress Trees

What kind of jigs do you guys use for pitching to cypress trees? I have a box full of jigs and have NEVER caught a fish on one. Every time I've tried pitching to trees with a jig, it seemed like the jig was to heavy and caught everything on the bottom.

So I would appreciate it, if you guys would post some links to jigs you fish when fishing cypresses.

thanks,
-spro
Old 09-28-09, 09:46 AM   #2
doc
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I only use evolution jigs these days
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descp...FJ.html#pImage

These are some great trailers
with a http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descp...PB.html#pImage trailer

I fish ALOT of cypress in my neck of the woods.
I mainly use 2 sizes of jigs. A 3/8 oz and a 7/16 oz. I'll only step up to a heavier weight in water 10+ ft deep.

Last edited by doc; 09-28-09 at 12:28 PM.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-09, 11:44 AM   #3
TnTom
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishin spro View Post
What kind of jigs do you guys use for pitching to cypress trees? I have a box full of jigs and have NEVER caught a fish on one. Every time I've tried pitching to trees with a jig, it seemed like the jig was to heavy and caught everything on the bottom.

So I would appreciate it, if you guys would post some links to jigs you fish when fishing cypresses.

thanks,
-spro
Are you using a weedless jig?
If I'm in habitat that lends itself to hanging up my jig I wouldn't hesitate to go weedless. I don't have much Cypress in this neck of the woods so I cant speak to it directly and even when I'm using a weedless jig I'll rig it weedless (skinned) with my trailer.
TnTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-09, 04:59 PM   #4
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Go with a lighter jig. I'd start with something like a Bitsy Bug. Light and inexpensive. Should work. Add a floating trailer or something that will slow the fall and you should be good.
Old 09-28-09, 08:24 PM   #5
abu4600
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Lighter jigs are best. The booyah baby boo jig in blk/blu. is about the only jig I use anymore. For trailers try a baby brush hog or maybe a beaver type bait.
abu4600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-09, 09:16 PM   #6
Bassmagician
BassFishin.Com Member

You are talkin' one of my favorite structures to fish, we have an abundance of them down here. I use a 1/4 oz. WAR EAGLE flipping jig but I change the skirt out with a Hildibrant blue, black & purple or brown stranded skirt. In dark colored water I use the blue, black & purple and the brown in lighter colored or stained water. I use either a Zoom super chunk in shallow water or a single 4" twister tail in 4' to 6' of water. They still hang up but not as bad as some that I have tried. The bass arround here like em'.
Old 09-29-09, 10:34 PM   #7
fishin spro
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmagician View Post
You are talkin' one of my favorite structures to fish, we have an abundance of them down here. I use a 1/4 oz. WAR EAGLE flipping jig but I change the skirt out with a Hildibrant blue, black & purple or brown stranded skirt. In dark colored water I use the blue, black & purple and the brown in lighter colored or stained water. I use either a Zoom super chunk in shallow water or a single 4" twister tail in 4' to 6' of water. They still hang up but not as bad as some that I have tried. The bass arround here like em'.
I love to fish trees also. period...but I just cant seem to get confidence in a jig, to keep throwing it at them. Buying a new jig rod tomorrow. So I guess I will have to start fishin' it some. lol
Old 10-02-09, 06:17 PM   #8
Bassmagician
BassFishin.Com Member

When I decided to learn how to fish a jig I had never caught fish on them either, but I saw the guys on TV catching fish on them. Needless to say it's not as easy as TV makes it look, nor do you catch as many numbers as you would with a plastic worm. So I took one rod and a box full of jigs and trailers I threw it untill I got a bite, but it was not what I expected, I didn't feel the bite at all. The line just started moving off to the side and I set the hook. If I remember right the fish was about 3 lbs. and I was hooked. The waters arround here are unpredictable so I don't use them all the time but I allwaise have one tied on just in case. They can be a life saver in a tournament for a kicker fish.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.