Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-10, 05:17 PM   #1
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson
Default NFL Draft

Who's all followin it?
I'm thrilled with the Lions 1st pick of Suh. He's the player I've been wanting for a couple months now. When you're dead last in pass defense and 25th in rush defense, this is one great pick.
I'm OK with their 2nd round pick of Best. He'll definitely help spread defenses with his speed, but......not sure RB was the right move.
We traded our best LB.....we released our 09 best CB......scary!
ESPN claims their draft coverage ratings are up 23% over 2009. Must be due to starting the draft on Thursday instead of Saturday cuz their coverage is flat out worse than last year.
Within 2 years, all we'll get is non stop coverage of the talking haircuts until the final 5 minutes of the day. Then we'll get a list of players selected, scrolling up the screen like movie credits.
Mel Kiper is the world's biggest idiot. I'm pretty sure Brady Quinn is breaking up with him. Something about high maintenance and Grecian Formula
Denver completely wasted a 1st round pick on Tebow.
That is all
Old 04-23-10, 07:25 PM   #2
Marty
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I think your Lions can look forward to steady improvement.

Quote:
Mel Kiper is the world's biggest idiot.
If that's the case, I'll take dumb and rich over smart and broke. Unfortunately, I'm dumb and broke, Mel's apparently dumb and rich.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-10, 07:53 PM   #3
WTL

Tebow is a great pick and fit for Denver.

Last year, they had a very interesting wildcat package where they would line moreno up in the shotgun, then bring the QB in motion. Sometimes, the QB would stop behind center and in front of Moreno and take the snap, sometimes he would continue in motion.

What this did was it made the defense play for two contingenices: either the wildcat run with moreno, or the pass from essentially a pistol - with the QB throwing.

Take the identical formation, but put Tebow in motion, and suddenly you have two added possibilities: Tebow as a physical reciever that would require a saftey really covering him could recieve a pass from Moreno, or Tebow can run to take the snap and either run or pass. It presents a very interesting, complicated package to defend.

As a straight QB, it will take Tebow years. But he will create production and difficulties for opposing D coordinators this year with that package.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-10, 07:56 PM   #4
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty View Post
I think your Lions can look forward to steady improvement.

If that's the case, I'll take dumb and rich over smart and broke. Unfortunately, I'm dumb and broke, Mel's apparently dumb and rich.

He's definitely rich and definitely dumb.
Thanks, by the way, for your kind words lol. I'm so tired of being a Lions fan
Old 04-23-10, 07:58 PM   #5
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
Tebow is a great pick and fit for Denver.

Last year, they had a very interesting wildcat package where they would line moreno up in the shotgun, then bring the QB in motion. Sometimes, the QB would stop behind center and in front of Moreno and take the snap, sometimes he would continue in motion.

What this did was it made the defense play for two contingenices: either the wildcat run with moreno, or the pass from essentially a pistol - with the QB throwing.

Take the identical formation, but put Tebow in motion, and suddenly you have two added possibilities: Tebow as a physical reciever that would require a saftey really covering him could recieve a pass from Moreno, or Tebow can run to take the snap and either run or pass. It presents a very interesting, complicated package to defend.

As a straight QB, it will take Tebow years. But he will create production and difficulties for opposing D coordinators this year with that package.

Really? Even though he woulda still been there a round or 2 later? Terrible pick
Old 04-23-10, 08:12 PM   #6
bcklash

I just don't think you spend a 1st rd pick on somebody that might play 10 or 12 plays a game. But he is a class act and a team player so we'll see if it was a good pick or not. I'm glad the Rams didn't take him with a 25th pick.

By the way Mallon the Lions are better than the Rams, but guess who their only win was against? LIONS BWWAAAA
Old 04-23-10, 08:19 PM   #7
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcklash View Post
I just don't think you spend a 1st rd pick on somebody that might play 10 or 12 plays a game. But he is a class act and a team player so we'll see if it was a good pick or not. I'm glad the Rams didn't take him with a 25th pick.

By the way Mallon the Lions are better than the Rams, but guess who their only win was against? LIONS BWWAAAA

You know what the worst part of that is? I plan on retiring in MO.
Old 04-23-10, 08:29 PM   #8
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
You know what the worst part of that is? I plan on retiring in MO.
Your only 16 yrs old you can't retire yet, UNLESS your KIN to that lottery winner.
Old 04-23-10, 08:39 PM   #9
WTL

Quote:
Really? Even though he woulda still been there a round or 2 later? Terrible pick
There you go, taking the word of talking heads for gospel.

Buffalo had a pick later in round 1 and were going to take Tebow. They have pretty much admitted it. He has too many intangibles.

People try to overstate the difficulties of learning the QB position to make themselves feel smart. Yes, it is difficult. But they have guys who can teach it, if you have the tools. Tebow has everything he needs. There is a tremendous amount of jealousy around him, but he is a good pick that was taken at the right time not only in regards to what he offered Denver, but in the context of the draft marketplace.

Edit; Look, I played the doubt Tebow game before. He spurned my team at the last second. We all told ourselves he was a project, overrated, Bible thumping retard and he made us look like fools. Then he earned the type of grudging competitive respect, and massive personal respect from most people in the SEC that is really unprecedented. The guy is for real and will not fail. Doubting him is like doubting chuck norris, I'm just gonna shake my head and say some people will be reaal sorry.
Old 04-23-10, 10:57 PM   #10
Cavs1123

Browns got COLT McCOY!
Old 04-23-10, 11:23 PM   #11
Jrob78

I think the Tebow pick was a good pick because he has a coach who wanted him. McDaniels picked Tebow, he has a vision for him. He will put Tebow in a system that will give him the best possible chance to succeed. It would be different if some gm picked him and then told his head coach and oc to do something with him. Does that make any sense?
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-10, 03:05 AM   #12
BassinBandit
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I loved Denver's first pick after they traded down, but then they traded up for Tebow and I wanted to just puke. I dont think he is a bad athlete or that he will not be good in the NFL. The pick was just way to high and we other needs. We could have taken Dan Williams.
Old 04-24-10, 07:50 AM   #13
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcklash View Post
Your only 16 yrs old you can't retire yet, UNLESS your KIN to that lottery winner.

Haha, my daughter's older than that
Old 04-24-10, 08:06 AM   #14
MallenManson

Quote:
There you go, taking the word of talking heads for gospel.

Buffalo had a pick later in round 1 and were going to take Tebow. They have pretty much admitted it. He has too many intangibles.

People try to overstate the difficulties of learning the QB position to make themselves feel smart. Yes, it is difficult. But they have guys who can teach it, if you have the tools. Tebow has everything he needs. There is a tremendous amount of jealousy around him, but he is a good pick that was taken at the right time not only in regards to what he offered Denver, but in the context of the draft marketplace.

Edit; Look, I played the doubt Tebow game before. He spurned my team at the last second. We all told ourselves he was a project, overrated, Bible thumping retard and he made us look like fools. Then he earned the type of grudging competitive respect, and massive personal respect from most people in the SEC that is really unprecedented. The guy is for real and will not fail. Doubting him is like doubting chuck norris, I'm just gonna shake my head and say some people will be reaal sorry.

Wrong again, WTL. For your information, I do my research well in advance of the draft. Really kind of amazes me that you would make a statement as flat out wrong as that one, after reading my post about the talking heads in the first place.
I doubt very highly that Buffalo would have taken him, no matter what they say. They have 3 QBs on their roster. They also have enough much more pressing needs. Why would they want a project QB?

By the way. Buffalo did NOT have another pick remaining in round 1.
Old 04-24-10, 08:08 AM   #15
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassinBandit View Post
I loved Denver's first pick after they traded down, but then they traded up for Tebow and I wanted to just puke. I dont think he is a bad athlete or that he will not be good in the NFL. The pick was just way to high and we other needs. We could have taken Dan Williams.

That's the gist of it right there. Being a Lions fan, I watched Millen do the same thing over and over.
Old 04-24-10, 10:05 AM   #16
WTL

Quote:
Wrong again, WTL. For your information, I do my research well in advance of the draft. Really kind of amazes me that you would make a statement as flat out wrong as that one, after reading my post about the talking heads in the first place.
I doubt very highly that Buffalo would have taken him, no matter what they say. They have 3 QBs on their roster. They also have enough much more pressing needs. Why would they want a project QB?

By the way. Buffalo did NOT have another pick remaining in round 1.

First off, if you happen to have such confidence in Buffalo's QBs, which one is gonna start? Can you even name them all? I had to look them up, they dont have an NFL QB among the bunch. I mean its a real list of no-names. QB ratings all in the 40-70 range.

Also, on the point of Buffalo trying to get Tebow, they were trying to trade up. Same thing all those teams were doing. There were tons of reports all day that Buffalo was trying to trade, even from the Ravens who did end up making a trade - with Denver instead.

There is a reason why Denver started throwing around such value in terms of trades, and that is that they were competing to select Tebow. If they were the only team after him - and NFL connections are good enough to know when a guy is being targeted - they could have waited to second or traded in somewhere else.
Old 04-24-10, 02:09 PM   #17
MallenManson

Quote:
First off, if you happen to have such confidence in Buffalo's QBs, which one is gonna start? Can you even name them all? I had to look them up, they dont have an NFL QB among the bunch. I mean its a real list of no-names. QB ratings all in the 40-70 range.

Also, on the point of Buffalo trying to get Tebow, they were trying to trade up. Same thing all those teams were doing. There were tons of reports all day that Buffalo was trying to trade, even from the Ravens who did end up making a trade - with Denver instead.

There is a reason why Denver started throwing around such value in terms of trades, and that is that they were competing to select Tebow. If they were the only team after him - and NFL connections are good enough to know when a guy is being targeted - they could have waited to second or traded in somewhere else.

For your information, I could name 2 of them in about as much time as it would take to get the words out of my mouth. Never said I had confidence in any of them. I have even less in Tebow. Project QBs have no business being drafted in the 1st round. There is no argument for that.
Now, who in Buffalo said they were trying to trade up to get him?
Ralph Wilson says they weren't considering trying to trade up to get him.
Pretty funny how you have failed to reply to your completely false claim that Buffalo still had a pick left in the first and were going to take Tebow.
Since you're obviously not man enough to acknowledge that, I'm done having this debate with you.
Old 04-24-10, 02:12 PM   #18
nofearengineer

Feel the love.....
Old 04-24-10, 02:42 PM   #19
bamabassman

I am jsut happy to see some BAMA boys go in the top rounds. Who would have thouht that a rolando would go higher than some of the top running backs, qb's and receivers? Gonna be more BAMA boys going next year, so watch out.
Old 04-24-10, 02:47 PM   #20
WTL

Quote:
For your information, I could name 2 of them in about as much time as it would take to get the words out of my mouth. Never said I had confidence in any of them. I have even less in Tebow. Project QBs have no business being drafted in the 1st round. There is no argument for that.
Now, who in Buffalo said they were trying to trade up to get him?
Ralph Wilson says they weren't considering trying to trade up to get him.
Pretty funny how you have failed to reply to your completely false claim that Buffalo still had a pick left in the first and were going to take Tebow.
Since you're obviously not man enough to acknowledge that, I'm done having this debate with you.

Jeez Mallen....calm down. I can be wrong. Buffalo had a pick coming up in the early 2nd I was thinking about.

But evidently the Broncos wanted the guy, and thought others wanted him in the 1st or early 2nd or they wouldnt have made the trade into that position. Now go fishing and relax.

Last edited by WTL; 04-24-10 at 02:54 PM.
Old 04-24-10, 08:05 PM   #21
Marty

Quote:
I'm so tired of being a Lions fan
Be patient, nothing lasts forever (unless you're a Clippers or Pirates fan).

For all you guys who are so certain about Tebow, be it positive or negative, the history of the NFL draft is littered with failures to accurately evaluate. There have been busts who were sure things and superstars who came out of obscurity. Tebow will be one of the more interesting ones to follow.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-10, 08:24 PM   #22
WTL

Quote:
For all you guys who are so certain about Tebow, be it positive or negative, the history of the NFL draft is littered with failures to accurately evaluate. There have been busts who were sure things and superstars who came out of obscurity. Tebow will be one of the more interesting ones to follow.
Well thats also partly the point. Some people think Tebow is valuable, some think he is a H back in a league that doesn't use H backs.

But all that matters, in regards to value in the draft, is if you have 2 parties that think a guy is a first rounder and are willing to burn a pick on him there - then he will be a 1st rounder. And all the talk about whether he has the tools, or if he is in the right place, thats all wind. It did Clausen little good as you see.

Its like taking a shad rap and having people bid on it. Yeah, its a $5 dollar lure at walmart. But if me and Jo Bob think its special for some unknown reason, and we both value it at $50, well even if we are nuts, its still a $50 dollar lure. Thats the market. And maybe I will catch fish on my $50 dollar shad rap. Maybe I have a place in mind for it that you don't.
Old 04-24-10, 09:50 PM   #23
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
I am jsut happy to see some BAMA boys go in the top rounds. Who would have thouht that a rolando would go higher than some of the top running backs, qb's and receivers? Gonna be more BAMA boys going next year, so watch out.

Bama did represent, din't they?
Old 04-24-10, 09:53 PM   #24
MallenManson

Quote:
Be patient, nothing lasts forever (unless you're a Clippers or Pirates fan).

Haha. I've only got 2 or 3 decades left in me I think. Maybe 4....long time to have your finners crossed
I will say though that I think Schwartz is righting the ship. Hopefully that's logic, and not my annual Lions optimism. Lions fans motto- "It has to get better someday...right?"
Old 04-24-10, 11:07 PM   #25
bamabassman

Sorry mallen..the lions are the whipping kids of the nfl for a while yet i think. Just like my dolphins. I wasn't impressed with their picks either. BUT, i am impressed with my number 2 team, JETS. They have gotten some good players outside the draft that will help out as well as some pretty good draftees. Wonder if ol MT CODY will make it in the ravens camp. Da raiders will have a great middle linebacker for a few (4 yrs ) in rolando, then ol al davis will trade him off. But they did make some excellant choices in their draft. where did colt mccoy go? i didn't see where he went.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.