Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-06, 12:30 PM   #1
brandonjames
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Frog Help

I am just starting to get back into bass fishing again and have seen alot of talk on the board on frogs. I have never used one before and it seems like there is alot of success with them, I grew up using spinnerbaits and soft worms. I would really like to stray away from what I have always done and try something new as my fish numbers is down alot. I used a buzz bait for the first time about a week ago and had three fish in 15 minutes. I could not believe it I was amazed, no hits on a spinner bait for about an hour and then bam they hammerd the buzz bait. My question is how and when do you use a frog. Thanks for all the help.
brandonjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-06, 01:08 PM   #2
H2O
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I'm using Tiki toad, Zoom Honny toad and Yum Buzz Frog. T-rigged weightless. I use them in two ways: Buzz across the top just like buzzbait; or retrieve them submerged as jerkbaits.
Here is more details from Wave Fishing ( Tiki stuffs):

"......
With the frog craze that has hit the bass fishing world, Wave Industries has introduced the Tiki-Toad. The Tiki-Toad's specially shaped legs and feet separate it from other frog type baits. The Tiki-Toad has natural shape legs and feet that point outwards that allows for the most natural kicking motion as possible. The design lets the paddle feet make the natural gurgling type noise along with bubbles as you skim it across the surface. The Tiki-Toad is also designed with a groove on its back to help position the hook. To fish the Tiki-Toad weightless, 3/0 to 5/0 hooks work best

There are several techniques that one can use to successfully catch fish using the Tiki-Toad. For example, you can fish the Tiki-Toad on top of malted vegetation, letting the Tiki Toad set for a few seconds and then jerking the bait a couple of times then continuing to repeat this pattern. Another successful technique is casting the Tiki-Toad out and retrieving it back quickly. This would be similar to fishing buzz bait and we all caught fish on the buzz bait and we all know how well it works. The buzz bait however gives off more of a mechanical sound. You will notice that the Tiki-Toad will give you more of a natural sound. Because of this along with the thirty different colors that the Tiki-Toad is available in, I have all but quite using my buzz baits. Another quick tip, you will find that by cutting the Tiki-Toad right behind the eyes and using the leg part makes one of the best jig trailers ever; the legs have incredible action under water. Oh and by the way, take some Tiki-Toads on your next salt water fishing trip. The Redfish and Speckle Trout are showing us they love the Tiki-Toad too!"

Hope it will help.
H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-06, 01:19 PM   #3
brandonjames
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks, I really appreciate it. I thought that you should only use the frog bait where the is lots of vegitation, but what I am reading is it can be used as an everyday lure. I can use it like I would a plastic worm or make it weightless and use it as a top water bait. How fast do you retrieve it? I am taking the family camping and I talked to a buddy that fishes this lake little lake quite a bit and he said to use top water so I am trying to widen my selection. Thanks for the tips.
Old 06-27-06, 01:40 PM   #4
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i retrieve mine in short pull, like a frog swimming about 4-5 feet and stop in open water, or next to a edge of vegetation....if its on top of vegetation mat, I'll scoot it a few inches and stop, then repeat
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-06, 02:01 PM   #5
brandonjames
BassFishin.Com Member

Could you tell me how to rig up a hook, or take a pic and show me, or do they come weedless already?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.