Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-09-07, 10:29 AM   #1
atlfishguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Which boat to buy?

Hey guys, new to forum here and looking to buy my first bass boat. Looking to spend about 3k on a used boat to fish mostly lake allatoona here in georgia for recreation only no tournaments. First off I know nothing about boats, just what I hear. I have found two boats that sounds like what Im looking for, just cant decide on which one I should get.
The 1st boat is a 1986 15ft Skeeter with a 50 hp mercury which just recenty had the carb cleaned, and motor maintenced, power tilt trim, livewell,trolling motor ect.. The boat is actually my wifes aunts boat so it has been in the family awhile, I havent seen the boat yet because its up at cherokee lake in tennesee but from what her dad says its been covered the whole time and well taken care off. They are asking $2000.00 which sounds like a decent deal to me, what do you guys think?
The next boat I found is a 1988 17ft astroglass bass boat with a 120 hp evenrude with all the the extras, been garaged kelped, ready to take to the lake. Asking price of this boat is $3000.00. The guy said it was a good looking boat but had one soft spot in floor next to drain, but not bad. He is out of town til moday so I cant look at it til then. But from what Ive told you which boat would you go after, the bigger one with the 120 evenrude for 3000 or the family owned skeeter with a 50 mercury for 2000? Logic tells me the bigger two year newer boat for a little extra money but also Ive heard good things about skeeter boats and It has been in the family.
The skeeter boat is not even for sale yet but they said that they would sell it to me now because they had talked about selling it, so im not worried about that boat selling. The other boat on the other hand wont last long Im sure so I gotta act pretty quick. Any advice you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.
atlfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-07, 11:46 AM   #2
betursweetbass
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass

There's so much to look for.....the motor is very important, and you should also consider the overall condition of the boat, the electronics and it's structural integrity. The trailer and it's condition, and all the legal documents and tags, But in the end, there are so many choices. I would say, take your time, look around, get an idea of whats available in your area and get the most boat you can for your money. Make sure you test drive a used boat whenever possible.

Good Luck
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-07, 06:30 PM   #3
HOG Ranger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

It is much better if you buy a used boat that you know how it was maintained. Also, make sure it has current registration on the boat and trailer if applicable. I bought a boat and trailer from Wisconsin where they don't have trailer titles to IL which does. What a nightmare!
HOG Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-07, 04:42 PM   #4
atlfishguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Ok since my last post, Ive pretty much changed my mind on both boats mentioned above. I have also looked at several more boats in that price range and they look pretty rough or need some work which I expected that. But after looking at some of the 15-16ft boats Ive come to conclusion that Id rather spend a little extra a get a bigger boat because those are pretty small and with the wife and a two year old Id like to have something bigger. So I think I might have found my boat, its a 1986 ranger 375V fish/ski 18ft boat, 150 hp mercury. The hull is spotless no dings, everything works, the motor just had a tune up/runs great, the guy just fished in it this past weekend and is gonna take me out tomorrow in it. The reason he selling is he moved and has nowhere to put it. The asking price is 4800 obo. After looking at boats over the past month I have found out Ranger boats really keep their value, so what do you guys think about this deal? Do you at least agree about spending a little more to get a bigger nicer boat, that I wont be wishing I had gone that route to begin with?
Old 03-15-07, 06:06 PM   #5
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

yes but a fish and ski ranger ?? you lose ALOT of casting deck. although you do get the full windshield -a particularly nice add on when it is colder that a brass monkey..

zooker
Old 03-15-07, 09:28 PM   #6
MrPhotographer06
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

i own a 1968 Glastron V147 fish n ski.. but it dosent have a windshiled?

it doesnt have a "casting deck".. i has a center livewell and steering wheel and the rest is floor.... maybe thats the casting deck..
MrPhotographer06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-07, 08:12 AM   #7
HOG Ranger

That is a pretty good deal. As Zooker posted, with a fish and ski you lose some casting area but with a child it may work out better for your family.

If it is in nice shape that is a decent price and a boat that will hold that value for many years.
Old 03-16-07, 09:53 AM   #8
atlfishguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Yea it also got my wifes approval because it does have more room for our son to play around in, and as you guys know thats a big plus to get the wifes ok. Im actually getting ready to meet the guy and take it out, the weather this morning is rainy but it is clearing a little so Ill let you know about the boat later. Just one more question, say I do get the boat, are parts for a 150 black max mercury still pretty easy to get, just in case I ever need to replace a part?
Old 03-16-07, 10:37 AM   #9
HOG Ranger

Yes, you should be able to get about any part you need.

Check the pee stream for a good flow and look at the water around the lower unit once the motor is shutdown for signs of excess gas that makes its way into the water.

The only known problem with that year and style boat is they did not come out of the hole very well and tended to stand-up before getting on plane. Most guys had to install the whale tail on the motor.
Old 03-16-07, 06:18 PM   #10
atlfishguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Well I went out on the boat today, the boat ran like a champ although we didnt get out too far due to the rough conditions it ran good, smoked alittle but he said it was due to the cold temperature today. Overall the boat is in good condition, the clear coat is chipped here and there and it needs a good waxing, the boat must have been left out without a cover on it. He already removed the glass where it is a ski/fish boat so it looks more like just a fish boat, all electronics work overall I would give the boat 6 out of ten. Now I also wanted to look at one more boat today which is right down from where I live. It is a 1989 Procraft 18ft 150 hp Johnson, excellent condition, I mean this boat looks new, the outside, inside, seats, carpet, looks new as does the trailor. No soft spots in floor, the boat has always been covered. I didnt get to run the motor due to it was just a nasty day here, but the guy told me he'd guarantee this boat and that it runs as good as it looks. I told him I'd come back sunday and we could run it, he is asking 4500.00 for it. Im gonna get one of these boats just dont know which one, if I was going by looks alone the procraft, and if it really does run as good as it looks I may be going with that one. It hasnt been ran this year but he did say he put stablizer in the gas. Man this is tough looking for a used boat and scary as well. Any recommendations will help guys. Wife said either one is fine with her, that Im driving her crazy, lol.
Old 03-16-07, 06:34 PM   #11
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlfishguy View Post
It is a 1989 Procraft 18ft 150 hp Johnson, 4500.00 for it. Wife said either one is fine with her, that Im driving her crazy
this year a procraft is a sweet boat. if the johnson is a fast strike it is a good moter.. i would have one the other or both moters checked out by a marina the moter techs can and will save you ALOT of money in the long run..it is worth every penny to have them check the moter BEFORE any money changes hands..if the currant owner wont have it checked out. this means he is hiding something and do not deal with him period..

getting the lil woman to agree is the biggest stubblin block which you have allready surpast..

just remember a boat is a hole in the water you throw money into..

zooker
Old 03-16-07, 06:57 PM   #12
atlfishguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Yea I am pretty lucky to have a wife cool with me getting a boat. Im not for sure if the motor is a quick strike or not, seems like it is. Here is a pic of the Procraft.
Attached Images

Old 03-16-07, 07:11 PM   #13
zooker

yep it's a quick strike..

zooker
Old 03-17-07, 05:55 PM   #14
HOG Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlfishguy View Post
Yea I am pretty lucky to have a wife cool with me getting a boat. Im not for sure if the motor is a quick strike or not, seems like it is. Here is a pic of the Procraft.
The Procraft looks like it is in really good shape. If the motors are decent you are getting a good price on both of them. It would be hard to pass the Procraft up because of the excellent condition.

As for the Ranger, on a boat that old there are going to be issues with the gel coat and I wouldn't worry about them unless they were bad. He is also right about the motor, they will tend to smoke a little more than normal when they sit all winter and they haven't been run at speed yet.
Old 03-18-07, 06:05 PM   #15
atlfishguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Went back today and looked at the procraft with wife and son, she fell in love with it and my son had plenty room in it to play around some. Cranked the engine up sounded good, good water stream, going to do compression test tomorrow on it, looked at the plugs and they look good. Its got one of those stainless steel high dollar props on it. Anyway I offered 4000.00 and the guy said he'd meet me half way so we agreed on 4250.00 so Im pretty excited. He even said if theres anything wrong with the motor he would cover it if they found anything wrong with it, he assures me the motor is good. So thats were we stand, told him Id get back up with him tomorrow, have the compression test done, and motor looked at by the mechanic and we are good to go. Do you guys think I done pretty good on the deal? Are there any other things I need to do or ask? I wanna to thank you guys for the replies, it has helped me alot through this boat buying process. Hopefully Ill be on the water fishing pretty soon, and saying bye bye to the bank, any of you guys who has bank fished many years know what Im talking about.
Old 03-18-07, 06:42 PM   #16
zooker

sweet you got a good deal.if every thing checks out ok..

zooker
Old 03-18-07, 06:57 PM   #17
HOG Ranger

Congrats, sounds like you got a nice boat at a reasonable price. If the seller is that sure of the motor I would bet it runs good and checks ok.

One word of advice, with the stainless prop be very careful not to whack anything too hard with it. They won't give like an aluminum and you could do lower end damage.
Old 03-18-07, 11:15 PM   #18
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Let me know if you don't buy it. Nothing like that shows up around here.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.