Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-11, 09:05 PM   #1
Crankbait
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default magnetic brakes

Question reel techs. I was looking at some of the new pinnacles (example Performa XLT) http://www.pinnaclefishing.com/shop/...px#page=page-1 and noticed that the magnets (on the magnetic breaking) go all the way around the side plate. I have wondered why all the reels don’t do this. Has anyone used a reel with magnetic brakes like this and have you noticed a difference?
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-11, 09:20 PM   #2
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

weight would be my first assumption, can't see where it would offer any real advantage. Magnets are made from many different materials some are average strength like your typical ceramic magnets and others are very strong like a cobalt type magnet. Seems like you could only apply a certain amount of magnetic force to the spool before it would become difficult to cast, if you do that with 4 mags or 8 mags don't seem like it would make much difference, as long as you have a way to control the force in small increments.
Old 10-02-11, 10:45 PM   #3
Crankbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
weight would be my first assumption, can't see where it would offer any real advantage. Magnets are made from many different materials some are average strength like your typical ceramic magnets and others are very strong like a cobalt type magnet. Seems like you could only apply a certain amount of magnetic force to the spool before it would become difficult to cast, if you do that with 4 mags or 8 mags don't seem like it would make much difference, as long as you have a way to control the force in small increments.
I agree but you don't think with the magnets equally spaced they would have better control
Old 10-02-11, 11:12 PM   #4
Tavery5

Honestly, I can't see where it would be an advantage. I just keep coming back to the weight thing, reels are measured to the 1/10th of an oz and having an additional 4 magnets is just added weight. I most certainly could be wrong, but this is my honest opinion.
Old 10-03-11, 08:42 AM   #5
Crankbait

Quote:
Honestly, I can't see where it would be an advantage. I just keep coming back to the weight thing, reels are measured to the 1/10th of an oz and having an additional 4 magnets is just added weight. I most certainly could be wrong, but this is my honest opinion.
Tavery take a look at this reel.
http://www.pinnaclefishing.com/shop/...px#page=page-1
this is one of the reels i was refering to with the magnets spread out.
Old 10-03-11, 12:08 PM   #6
DVT Mike

I don't see any immediate advantage of that design, or disadvantage for that matter.
Old 10-03-11, 05:11 PM   #7
Tavery5

Crank, I guess I just can't see any advantage to that system, it looks like a different method of performing the same task, but at the cost of additional weight. Again maybe I am wrong, but seems like other mfg's would have picked up on it by now if it was any advantage.
Old 10-03-11, 06:15 PM   #8
Crankbait

Tavery and DVT I think I’m going to have to get one to really find out. Every since I saw magnetic and centrifugal brakes I wondered why the magnetic brakes didn’t go completely around for a balanced pull on the spool. I’m not an engineer but hear me out….wouldn’t a more evenly spread magnetic pull on the spool create better breaking. Kind of like the centrifugals and matching a brake on one side with a brake on the other side. Here’s the response I got from someone who had the pinnacle from my post. “I can’t answer why other brands don’t use more magnets but on my Pinnacle LP100 Platinum Plus I think it makes a big difference (it only has 8 magnets), the braking at the end of the cast is a little smoother than my other reels (Abu-Black Max, Abu-Pro Max and Abu-Revo SX) the spool slows down smoother with heavier lures and the setting on the dial don’t have to be set as high, so my opinion is, it does help to have the extra magnets, I’m beginning to like this LP100 better than my other reels. I’m looking into buying the Pinnacle Optimus XT, I checked it out at the local sporting store and really liked it, and like the Performa XLT it has 10 magnets. Hope this helps ” i know extra magnets would increase the weight but i'm just talking brake layout. even if the five or six magnets were evenly distributed on the side cover.
Old 10-03-11, 07:49 PM   #9
Tavery5

Good luck, I myself would be rather reluctant to purchase any Pinnacle reel. They have not been known for their ability to produce a quality product, in fact they are usually associated with the opposite. To spend money on a Pinnacle reel -vs- a proven commodity such as an ABU, Diawa, or Shimano seems like a risky proposition to me. I do wish you the best of luck with your purchase and be sure to let us know how you like the brakes once you have an opportunity to fish them.
Old 10-03-11, 09:21 PM   #10
Crankbait

Quote:
Good luck, I myself would be rather reluctant to purchase any Pinnacle reel. They have not been known for their ability to produce a quality product, in fact they are usually associated with the opposite. To spend money on a Pinnacle reel -vs- a proven commodity such as an ABU, Diawa, or Shimano seems like a risky proposition to me. I do wish you the best of luck with your purchase and be sure to let us know how you like the brakes once you have an opportunity to fish them.
Nooo I had my first pinnacle two actually. They were ok learning reels……but just that learning reels. I tore those things apart so many times trying to find out how to make them better but they had so much plastic in them. No I would be getting these solely to test that magnetic brake system. I know Pinnacle has come up since I had one…well at least they have some pros promoting them.
Old 10-03-11, 09:35 PM   #11
lilmule

I have a pinnacle reel,casts great,however after a yr and a half the anti reverse or clutch dog does not catch quickly now can have a bait,that even after reel handle is engaged it will slip 3 to 4 ft before the anti reverse kicks in.
Never again
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-11, 09:47 PM   #12
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

With centrifugal reels, i do think that having the pins set in a balanced layout is important, that way you have even presure all the way around the brake ring. With magnets, I just don't see how it would make any difference if they are spaced around or all on one side, they don't touch and as the spool spins, it's constantly in the magnetic field so it will be an even magnetic pull.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-11, 11:10 PM   #13
Crankbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro reel View Post
With centrifugal reels, i do think that having the pins set in a balanced layout is important, that way you have even presure all the way around the brake ring. With magnets, I just don't see how it would make any difference if they are spaced around or all on one side, they don't touch and as the spool spins, it's constantly in the magnetic field so it will be an even magnetic pull.
haha i was waiting for you to come in and tell me i'm wrong.....i still thinking
Old 10-04-11, 09:21 AM   #14
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I don't think your wrong with the asumption that more magnents will have more pull, that should be a given. I just don't think that it would make a difference if they were evenly spaced or all in one area, with the exception of space requirments. Obviously, the more magnents it has, the more pull it would have, but I don't use all the magnents that my revo has, so I don't see a need for more.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-11, 05:07 PM   #15
Crankbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro reel View Post
I don't think your wrong with the asumption that more magnents will have more pull, that should be a given. I just don't think that it would make a difference if they were evenly spaced or all in one area, with the exception of space requirments. Obviously, the more magnents it has, the more pull it would have, but I don't use all the magnents that my revo has, so I don't see a need for more.
I guess maybe I was wording what I was thinking wrong. I agree and think more magnets would have a stronger pull. What I want to know is will the magnets being more spread out offer a wider variance in breaking ? Thus giving you more degrees of setting the brakes. I hope it doesn’t because the reel I’m looking at only has the magnets on half the side cover. With that being said I found (someone brought it to my attention) a reel Abu Garcia Silver Max that has the flipping switch I was looking for and has magnetic brakes!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.