Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-06, 08:24 AM   #1
florida mike
BassFishin.Com Member

Question Feedback

Anybody have any feedback for Poes brand of lures.What is good and what is bad?
florida mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-06, 11:51 PM   #2
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Average IMO, some are good, some are poor. Everyone likes their own brand/model. Try them, see if you like them. If you give them a fair chance you will catch fish on them. Just like Rapala, Norman's, Bomber, Lucky Craft, Carolina Chip's, etc....

Lizards

Lizards
Old 03-02-06, 01:22 AM   #3
bassguy2004
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I love the Poe's crankbaits, but the diving bill isn't for s**t. I've had several of them break off and when that happens you are S.O.L. I haven't tried replacing the bill with another type of plastic. I may give it a shot. Just my .02.
Old 03-04-06, 05:29 PM   #4
Wishing2BFishing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Bassguy, interesting that you mention the weak bills. I have two Poe crankbaits and the bills really are poor quality . . . both now have cracks in them (they haven't broke yet but this season will do them in).
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-06, 05:59 PM   #5
JB

We usually try to find the correct thickness of the bill and get some small piece of plexiglass and carve out a new one, then epoxy it back in the lure..
I notice david fritts used to endorse poes when he won the classic, now has rapala making a smililiar looking bait...the dt series in shape and depth, hes a master of deep water cranking
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-06, 06:07 PM   #6
Wishing2BFishing

I love those DTs . . . .
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-06, 06:27 PM   #7
pig n jig

Poes ? Poes crank baits ? Are you talkin the old baits or the new ones ? The old 400's actually have three different series, the regular 400 series, the 400P series and the 400 Classic series. Fritts weighted them at home, then poes copied his baits and called it the 400 classic. The 400P or 400 plus had a bigger diving bill thanthe regular 400 series.The very first thing you do is tune them to run absolutely straight and on the way home from the lake, stop to a hardware store and buy a 2 part syringe of fast drying clear epoxy. Your going to epoxy the slots full that they cut in the plastic bill where they put the wire that you tie to.Let it dry for a hour or so. Then you can take a razor or sandpaper and smooth the epoxy finish so the contour of the bill is basically the same, no lumps or big warts sticking up.The next thing you do is apply a carnuba wax to the edges of the wood where the bill slot is glued into the bait.If you don't the exposed unpainted strip of wood will absorb water altering the baits performance.Once you apply a few coats of carnuba wax around the lip, you have a fine bass catching bait.I love poes, got boxes of them, even gave Laser a few of my RC 1 series poes, Laser did you notice the 2 of the same are different ? The one with the black dot has a glass rattle insert added in the bait. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-06, 06:38 PM   #8
pig n jig

Here is an picture of a poes bass I caught a few years ago.I don't seem to do much crankin' like I used to. I would rather find jig fish , than spend my time finding key areas for crankbaits. The crankin I do is just bird dog searching , not on specific targets like I used to do. P N J

Last edited by pig n jig; 03-04-06 at 06:46 PM.
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-06, 06:39 PM   #9
JB

dang what a handsome rascal!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-06, 12:26 PM   #10
bassnman30

When they started making Poes in Mexico, thats when they lost alot of there ability. The older ones (made in the U.S.A) were great baits. Granted, some of the new baits will and do catch fish.
Save some money up and get a Zoom, Z3 (8-10 ft) or a Z4 for (12-16) ft crankin.
Old 03-05-06, 01:10 PM   #11
zooker

old poes originally had a metal lip. pnj is right on how to set up a poes. bassnman is right the newer-mexican made-poes suck...

dt10-dt16 manns 22+

zooker
Old 03-05-06, 03:05 PM   #12
bassguy2004
BassFishin.Com Active Member

JB, the poe plugs I use have the line tie in the diving bill. How would one go about that sort of installation since the line tie is usually afixed to a wire which runs the length of the body and attaches to the hook mount. I haven't checked the lure catalogues for that type of bill replacement or whether they make them.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.