Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-10, 10:01 AM   #1
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default TIG Welding

Do any of you guys have experience with TIG welding?

I've never welded before...just watched mostly. But I've always wanted to be able to weld, and now that I have a need for it, I figured I'd jump in. I'm looking for a reasonably priced TIG welder for aluminum (gotta have AC and pedal control), and I'm still in the research phase. I've been comparing several models: Econotig, Diversion 165, all the way up to a Synchrowave 250 if i found a bargain. Who knows at this point.

I hear that TIG is the hardest type to master, so naturally, I want to do it first. Funny how that works with me. I love how cool the welds look, and even though its much slower, I figure I can do things you would usually use a MIG for with a TIG welder too, if I need to.

Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-17-10, 03:15 PM   #2
JB

nofear,

I work beside about thirty welders that mig and tig weld all day. Most use either a miller or hobart brand welder. I can tell you that welding aluminum is by far one of the hardest skills to acquire. If you need some info I can ask the guys Monday on any questions you may have and what brands to buy.
oh yea, be prepared for a higher electric bill LOL
If you end up not getting a welder and need something welded send it to me and we'll weld it up for ya free and send it back to ya.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-10, 05:16 PM   #3
Embrey
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

tig has its place, but so does a mig. id just get a mig to start and add in a tig later. cause...tigs aint exactly cheap
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-10, 05:28 PM   #4
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embrey View Post
tig has its place, but so does a mig. id just get a mig to start and add in a tig later. cause...tigs aint exactly cheap
Embrey, I need a TIG, because I primarily want to weld aluminum. Believe me, I'd much rather buy a $500 welder, but it just won't do the job. Plus, I really admire the craftsmanship that goes along with good TIG welding.
Old 01-17-10, 06:08 PM   #5
Embrey

well, it aint that bad to do. just takes some time and practice like anything else
Old 01-17-10, 06:27 PM   #6
nofearengineer

Time, practice, and $1500 minimum hehe. My butt hurts already.
Old 01-17-10, 10:10 PM   #7
Captmikestarrett
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I would learn stick on steel first.. then wire feed.. then maybe mig or tig..

I tried stainless steel for resturants after I got out of welding school. Gas shielded argon welding. It was not too hard but if you messed up it would cost some big bucks.. stainless steel ain't cheep. They had me making leg supports the first two weeks..

Capt Mike
Old 01-18-10, 12:01 AM   #8
Bender

NFE, many years ago I took a weekend welding class at an Ivy Tech. The one I took was up in Marion I think but maybe there are branches down there. The class was really worthwhile with half classroom and half lab and you get to play around with good equipment. I remember mig welding aluminum with a special wire feed gun.

I welded here and there for my maintenance job and on a production line filling in a couple times. I think stick is the most difficult because your tip to work distance is always changing since you're using up the stick, but I suppose it depends what you are welding. It's been years since I got to weld and I kind of miss it, really a lot of fun and challenging. I wish I had been able to get really good before changing jobs.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-10, 01:08 AM   #9
1/4 stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
NFE, many years ago I took a weekend welding class at an Ivy Tech. The one I took was up in Marion I think but maybe there are branches down there. The class was really worthwhile with half classroom and half lab and you get to play around with good equipment. I remember mig welding aluminum with a special wire feed gun.

I welded here and there for my maintenance job and on a production line filling in a couple times. I think stick is the most difficult because your tip to work distance is always changing since you're using up the stick, but I suppose it depends what you are welding. It's been years since I got to weld and I kind of miss it, really a lot of fun and challenging. I wish I had been able to get really good before changing jobs.
Watch it buddy, my ex dun used about all there is to use.

Now seriously, my bro in law does some welding in his work on motor cycles, but he won't touch alluminum. I thought it was because alluminum wouldn't hold a weld.
Old 01-18-10, 09:21 AM   #10
Bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/4 stick View Post
Watch it buddy, my ex dun used about all there is to use.
So that's where "1/4 stick" comes from. Unfortunately I know the feeling.

If I remember right you might have to have a set of torches too since you have to preheat aluminum.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-10, 10:16 AM   #11
Embrey

no,you dont have to preheat it. unless youre welding something thicker than your welder likes
Old 01-18-10, 10:22 AM   #12
nofearengineer

At this point, I don't plan on doing anything thicker than 1/4" plate. And I'm not talking about boat hulls (hopefully not! ), but small pieces, where all of the heat doesn't get pulled away. I think I can do it with the 165, but I might need a 200 amp TIG.

I'm thinking about taking a class at IVY Tech in the fall. If that's the case, I could maybe do what I want to do as a project, and use their equipment. I guess that would let me take care of the pieces I'm just dying to make, and take my time saving up enough to get the welder that is really right for me.
Old 01-18-10, 07:06 PM   #13
1/4 stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
So that's where "1/4 stick" comes from. Unfortunately I know the feeling.

If I remember right you might have to have a set of torches too since you have to preheat aluminum.
My secret is out now.

Hope you find what ya need NoFear.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.