Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-10, 04:28 PM   #1
bigjim
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Bit the bullet and got me a baitcaster

I tried one about 3 yrs ago and not knowing anything about them at the time,as far as the correct way to cast it, my first cast was a disastrous mess, major birds nest. said to myself ( this thing sucks! & returned it) well yesterday I decided to give it another shot and headed up to the Cabelas by the house and bought a baitcaster combo for about $70..

found a few good instructional video's/tips on YouTube. just so i avoid the basic mistakes i made the first time around. then practiced a little bit in the front yard.

went out this morning, made my first cast w/ it and wham, landed a nice 2-1/2 lb Smallie on the River. (literally 15 seconds)

had a couple of small mishaps, minor birdie nests. but they came out easily. overall I had a good experience w/ it. still gonna take lots of practice, but Im Liking it
bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-10, 04:32 PM   #2
TN_Bassin
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Once you get used to it, you probably won't want to go back to a spinning reel for anything but finesse type fishing.
Old 05-09-10, 05:06 PM   #3
bigjim

just gotta fine tune my accuracy and find my comfort zone, had a little bit of trouble getting my bait where i wanted it to go. kept hooking left
Old 05-09-10, 08:03 PM   #4
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Once you get the hang of it you will be way more accurate with a baitcaster than any other type of reel, plus they give you a lot more power and hold a lot more line than other types as well. Congrats on taking a huge step in fishing and I am sure you will love it.
Old 05-09-10, 08:16 PM   #5
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Congrats, bigjim! Second time's the charm eh?
Old 05-09-10, 10:07 PM   #6
bassinbob

Your story is similiar to mine. Tried them and gave up. Then tried them again and won't go back. Keep it up.
Old 05-09-10, 10:23 PM   #7
walkeraviator

I like you guys who give up...I got a nice deal from a guy like you on craigslist. hehehe

I guess I grew up lucky, my Dad had me using old 4000's and 4600's by the time i was 10. I dont own a single spinning rig, but that may change as i want to learn to finesse fish a little more.
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-10, 10:34 PM   #8
nofearengineer

Be very careful. I was in your shoes one year ago. Now I own 10 baitcasters (and 4 trolling linecounters). They are very addictive.
Old 05-10-10, 09:55 AM   #9
BassinNC
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I fished with a buddy yesterday and was trying to get him to use a bait caster and he wouldn't. I think they are way more accurate and you can let the bait drop in the water with a lot less splash. I only use a spinning outfit for drop shot and shakey head.
Old 05-10-10, 10:00 AM   #10
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I also much prefer a baitcaster, and I'm sure once you get the hang of it, you will too. Just remember, even the best of the best get a backlash occasionally.

If you have any trouble, read this article I wrote about properly setting up a baitcaster.

BB
Old 05-10-10, 09:18 PM   #11
bigjim

thanks for the replies fellas..

thanks BigBassin ill be sure to check out your article
Old 05-13-10, 09:08 AM   #12
shawn
BassFishin.Com Member

I got my first baitcaster last year. Like you, I had some issues with backlash at first, but after practicing in the back yard and keeping with it when fishing, I hardly ever get backlash now.

When I do get backlash, this trick comes in very handy.
shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-10, 02:50 PM   #13
Captmikestarrett

I remember my first baitcaster. And that steel rod from Daisy-Heddon.

But like the monkey I have an issue with new fangled cane poles now. Think I have 42 now.

Capt Mike
Old 05-16-10, 06:47 PM   #14
66KingFisher

My first baitcaster was a gift from a buddy that kept trying to get me to buy one and I refused after watching him pick out birdnests and cussing the whole time....still yet, he swore it was a better tool to fish with so for my 22nd birthday he purchased me a custom reel and rod combo put together at Okiebug in Tulsa.

It took me awhile to get the hang of it, but then I realized that he was right....it is a better tool to fish with, and 30yrs later I still get backlashes, but i'll keep using them.....lol. Fortunately, they're fewer and further between nowadays, and after watching Kevins video trick, on how to remove a backlash, I can now remove a serious birdsnest in no time......"Thanks Kevin"....My cardiologist thanks you....lol....Lord know that trick has saved me some major headaches on several occasions, and has kept my blood pressure in check....lol.

Just last week on lake Ouachita, I got me a doozy of a birdsnest tryin to cast into a healthy headwind....Duh!....At first I got upset, but then I used Kevins trick and within a minute or so I was fishin again. So if'n ya don't do nuthin else beside practice in the yard, make sure you watch Kevins video....it could could keep you from blowin a gasket and save yer life.
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-10, 12:17 PM   #15
GregK9
BassFishin.Com Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_Bassin View Post
Once you get used to it, you probably won't want to go back to a spinning reel for anything but finesse type fishing.

Exactly!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Be very careful. I was in your shoes one year ago. Now I own 10 baitcasters (and 4 trolling linecounters). They are very addictive.

LOL!! I must have about that many too! I still have a couple in boxes I haven't set up yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn View Post

This is way cool!!!! can't wait to try it!!

Last edited by GregK9; 05-17-10 at 12:23 PM.
GregK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-10, 06:23 PM   #16
Cavs1123

When you do get another baitcaster(I know you will) go with the BPS pro Qualifier in the gear ratio you please. They have dual brakes and you almost never backlash! Just in case your wondering I work for the monkey! LOL
Old 05-17-10, 07:03 PM   #17
BassMan83
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn View Post
I got my first baitcaster last year. Like you, I had some issues with backlash at first, but after practicing in the back yard and keeping with it when fishing, I hardly ever get backlash now.

That trick works awesome. Its got me out of a jam many times. Ive also found that if your vary your thumb pressure on the spool as your cranking, it will help a lot.
BassMan83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.