Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-05, 07:14 PM   #1
Unregistered

Default Tips for the beginner

Any tips for a beginning bass fisherman please.... I am from NorCali (SF area) and was looking for some tips on catching bass successfully. I am currently using Bass Pro XPS worm hooks with a really small bullet looking thing a few inches above it (as weight). with keeper custom worms as bait... been successful in one lake but not to well in others. Also, I do not use a boat and fish mainly from the shore.. I cant cast too far due to the weight. Any help is appreciated. Thanks !!!
Old 09-04-05, 07:16 PM   #2
Unregistered

Also, If anyone can help me by suggesting a way to set everything (what lbs test line, weight for sinkers...ec, basically any advice) up too please....
Old 09-04-05, 08:29 PM   #3
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

The first thing I would suggest is to join the forum. It is free and there are some pretty good fisherman here for you to pick their brain. Then I would take a look here:

http://www.bassresource.com/beginner/beginner.html

This is a great site for someone just getting started. It will answer some of your questions and raise a whole lot more . then if you have specifics, which you probably will, ask away!

To get more specific regarding setups, what are you using now? Different situations call for different methods, so the more specific you can get the better.
Old 09-05-05, 12:47 AM   #4
youngbassman77
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I have finally register... Um, to be specific.. I believe I am currently using a "regular" fishing rod... weight, hook, and bait setup (which i just learned two days ago) is the same as i mentioned earlier. So any hints/advice as in what kind of rod to use and so forth will be helpful. Again, Thanks !!!
youngbassman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-05, 04:36 AM   #5
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Welcome to the forum youngbass. Always glad to see another person take up the sport of bass fishing. I havent fished the waters in your area so I really cant comment on what works in your area. All I can say is when I started bass fishing back shortly after they got the wheel to roll I was using alot of spinnerbaits. You just cant hardly fish them wrong. While you are fishing the spinnerbaits READ...RAED and the I would suggest READ some more. There are posts all over this board as well as others that have VERY good info. Again welcome to the BASS fishin scene.
1FASTLASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-05, 08:24 AM   #6
HuckFinn

Send a message via AIM to HuckFinn

Welcome youngbassman, this is a great place to learn the sport. Check out the site suggested by Reb and follow the advice from fastlasser about the spinerbaits. You could also try already rigged worms. (Until you learn how to make your own) Creme makes them as well as others. These are plastic worms with hooks already in them, you just tie them to you line and fish. But start with the spinerbaits first.
You said you have a regular rod and reel setup. That does'nt help much, becuse there are many different "regular" setups.
Look at the base of your rod, (the fat part near the reel) it should give you a bunch of numbers such as:
Rember yours will most likely be different
SHIMANO Maker of the Rod
FXS-80MHB-2 Model number of the rod, useful if you want to buy another rod
the -2 generally means 2 pieces
Length: 8'0 Rod is 8 feet long
Line WT: 12-25lb the pound test line that works best on the rod. This one is rated from 12 to 25 pound test.
Lure WT: 3/4-4oz Weight of the lures that work best on this rod
Power: Medium Heavy: Sometimes called backbone, used to rate the rod against the fish. Heavy rods generally have more hook setting power, can be used for bigger fish or pulling fish out of weeds and woods
Action: Fast: Generally describes the top part of the rod. The point at which it bends at, if the rod is turned up side down and placed on the floor. At which eye does it bend. Usually the faster the action the smaller the lure that can be thrown.
Take a look at your reel.
It should say something like
4 300 6 200 8 100
This is the size of the line 4 6 or 8 pound test
and the amount of line the reel will hold of that size. 3, 2, or 100 yards.
your reel I'm sure with also give the sizes in metric.
If you look at your setup, you might see something like the above. Some of the less expenssive combos (rod and reel sold together) might not have the information.
Take a look at your setup and post some of the information, that will help the folks on the site help you better.
Good luck fishing. Feel free to email or Im me if I can help

Last edited by HuckFinn; 09-05-05 at 08:35 AM.
HuckFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-05, 08:45 AM   #7
Mac1

In-fisherman puts out a couple of books, one on Largemouth and another on Smallmouth Bass.....very good reading.

Another technique is very well written by Charlie Brewer in his small book available on www.sliderfishing.com.....you will find the book listed to the left column on the homepage.....is very simply written and I recommend reading it 6 times before trying it out....so easy to miss little important things.....please understand this is only one technique for bass fishing, but is an important one.....not hard to do, just takes a lot of patience....and is very effective. The book's title mentions Crappie and Bass fishing if I remember correctly.

Use as little weight as possible when fishing soft plastics.....the slower the fall and the gentler the movement seems to work the best of all. I fish a lot of the time with a weightless lure. An experienced friend noticed that bass preferred the lighter of two identical soft plastics weighted a little differently.

Try to go fishing with as many different people as possible....if you run into folks along the banks, be sure to strike up a conversation....try to learn from the ones catching fish.....the little things they do often mean a lot..... Fishing departments in stores is also a good place to talk with folks.....usually "Doing any good?" can be a good opening line. Some folks won't talk much, but others seem to be waiting quietly to jump enthusiastically into a conversation.

When shore fishing, cast to the edges of the water on each side first, then carefully work your casts just a little farther out on each side approaching the deeper waters. Sometimes fish will lay shallow and when you wind up and cast out deep, the waving of the rod scares the shallow fish off.

When changing spots, walk back away from the water, then over to the side and then back up to the water......try to overlap a little the area you just fished.....don't walk along the bank if possible.

Buy a nail apron....a cloth apron with pockets....spray pain it a gray or green...even a camo pattern if you want.....keep your tackle in that..... Carrying a tackle box around and then setting it down creates a lot of extra movement. Don't try to take too much tackle....a couple of topwaters, a couple of spinnerbaits, a couple of plugs, a few small baggies with a few soft plastics....another little box for hooks and weights, pliars and a stringer.....a cheap sewing measuring tape cut at the 30 inch mark is also handy.

Put on sunscreen and bug spray before getting to your fishing spot.....less movement again....

One of my buddies shore fishes a lot, when bass aren't hitting, he puts on tiny lures and catches gills and crappie, then after the sun goes down a little more, switches back to bass fishing....

Keep a log........what flowers are in bloom, what generally the bass are hitting on, what the weather is doing at the particular time....In the long run, this will help....
If one spot seems to produce more than others....rig up a grub with a weight...put a snap on the hook so you can tell this grub from all others....use it to count down as it sinks and hits bottom....with enough casting and counting down until the line goes slack, you can get an idea of what the bottom is doing. Perhaps you have been fishing the edge of a dropoff and didn't know it....could be a submerged river channel....maybe you've been fishing a sandbar that drops off gently toward you before rising again to the shore.... Make a little map of each productive spot. Sometimes you will see stumps or rocks, make a note of that too. It sounds like a lot to do, but what you record is knowledge...and with enough knowledge bits, later on you will gain a valuable sense of what's going on.

Hope this helps, Mac
Mac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-05, 08:53 AM   #8
Mac1

Wear inconspicuous clothing....think of what the fish see from their point of view....if you are standing with trees behind you, wear green shirts...if you are having sky behind you, a grey or light blue shirt may work better.

About counting down your grub...one last note.....if you are counting down in a generally 5 count area and your grub stops at 3, set the hook.....you may have landed on a weed or stump, maybe a rock, but too, it could be a fish.
Old 09-05-05, 08:57 AM   #9
HuckFinn

Send a message via AIM to HuckFinn

Great post Mac,
I learned a lot.
Just wanted to add about taking notes.
my son hooked but did not land a nice lm. I noticed that the spot he hooked it was in line with a broken swimming area marker on the other side of the lake. A couple days later he was at the lake and I was working. We spoke on the phone and he was not having any luck, I directed him to the spot he was at before and he hooked and landed a 2 lber.( big for the lake ) Same Fish? Don't know but same area
HuckFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-05, 11:31 AM   #10
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngbassman77
I have finally register... Um, to be specific.. I believe I am currently using a "regular" fishing rod... weight, hook, and bait setup (which i just learned two days ago) is the same as i mentioned earlier. So any hints/advice as in what kind of rod to use and so forth will be helpful. Again, Thanks !!!
Sorry YBM-I should have been more specific. What I mean is like the type rod you are using-baitcast, spinning, spincast-the length, the action-how soft or limber they are, usually stated as light (L), medium (M), medium heavy (MH), heavy (H). How heavy is the line-pound test. There are many variations and some work better than others in different conditions. Knowing what you are using will help with recommendations on what to use.

One thing to remember: There are no dumb questions-the only dumb question is the one that isn't asked .

Good advice, guys-I'm always learning something here. Never thought about the flowers blooming, Mac, but it makes perfect sense.
Old 09-05-05, 12:51 PM   #11
Unregistered

Thanks Everyone...! Im taking in a lot of info and really trying to understand everything.

Huck- I did check out the specs on my rod...and here it is:
Length- 6 1/2 ft. Line Rec- 4-10. Lure wt- 1/8-3/8 oz.

The reel is as follows:
250/4, 185/6, 140/8.

I am currently using an 8 lb test line with this rod, a super lock worm hook (as i metioned earlier) with 1 removable split shot a few inches above the hook (no clue about the weight, but it seems really light), and a fake plastic/rubbery worm as bait. I believe that I am hooking the plastic worm in "texas rig" to avoid weeds and so forth.

Once Im ready to fish, I cast out as far as I can get, make my line straight, and reel in slowly with a jerk from my pole every now and then. (my rod is pointed downward towards the water....I may catch a fish or not... and repeat... Dont know if thats a good/bad technique, but thats what i've been doin.

Off the top of my head, thats pretty much all I can say. My problems are: I cant cast far due to light weight??

I will definitely check out some of the sites you guys recommended. Any comments on my style, set-up are welcome. I have no clue when I am goin out to the lake again, but I want to make sure I have everything correct before I do. As rebasser said, there are no dumb questions...and since I am a rookie, i dont feel so "stupid" asking you all these questions. Again, Thanks for everything...
Old 09-05-05, 01:53 PM   #12
Mac1

The way the worm is rigged, try this one.....cast, let sink to bottom...watching line at all times.....let set on bottom 15 seconds, then, instead of jerking...just take one s-l-o-w turn of the reel handle...then let rest another 15 seconds...remember to watch the line at all times.....keep doing this pause, slowly reel one turn, pause, etc...until the lure has traveled a total of 10 to 12 feet across bottom, then reel in at a moderate pace and cast to another likely spot.
Old 09-05-05, 04:47 PM   #13
skeeter944

try a straight tailed worm.it's easier to detect bites.oh, welcome to the forum
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-05, 06:16 PM   #14
youngmanbass77

I believe i am using a straight tail worm (keeper custom worms, not too sure on the size)... Im glad I joined this forum... Thanks everyone for your help... Will keep you posted on how I'm doing..!!
Old 09-05-05, 06:44 PM   #15
Rebbasser

YBM, here is another rig that works real well you might not be familiar with-called a wacky rig:

It looks goofy but it really catches fish. You can rig it with any soft plastic bait, but a straight tailed worm or stick bait like the one shown works best. Just cast it out and let it sink. Raise it up off the bottom by lifting yur rod tip and let it sink. If there is a drawback to this rig it is you often do not feel a hit-your line will start getting tight or moving off in a direction other that towards you, so line watching is real important. With the exposed hook you do not need a hard hookset-just a snap of the wrist will do the trick.
Old 09-05-05, 07:02 PM   #16
youngbassman77

Thanks Reb... I will give it a try... anybody have any other ideas for me to rig?? Other ideas or advice are welcome....!!! =)
Old 09-06-05, 05:10 AM   #17
1FASTLASER

Glad you takin all this in youngbass. There have been some REAL GOOD posts in here. I really liked the idea of keeping a log. I keep one on my puter and I also keep a small hand held recorder in my pcket while fishin just to keep all the info fresh and at hand. As far as some other techniques going back to the spinnerbait thing, and keeping your tackle in mind I wouldnt got any bigger than 1/4oz on your spinnerbaits with that outfit due to line size and rod action. Depending on water clarity pick spinnerbaits that will look good in the water. Chartruse and chartruse/white are ALWAYS good just about everywhere you fish. After you start to get the feel of things you may want to get a few more in different colors and styles. What type of water due you fish in stumpy?....weedy?...rocky?...This will help all of us give you some more ideas as to what to try.
1FASTLASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-05, 03:24 PM   #18
youngbassman77

1fast, i am trying to keep a log...with so much info, its impossible for me to remember anything if i dont... spinner baits sounds good and i will give it a try... what do u mean by 1/4 oz??? is that how much the spinner bait weighs? im assuming this is all weightless rite? meaning that i am not using any sinkers or anything....just hook and bait on my line and cast, and fish....correct?? see, i am a rookie...teehee...so much i dont know yet...

as far as what water im fishin in, not sure... the last place i went to was a lake (clearwater with few weeds, but nothing major or noticeable), however thats like 4 hrs from home so i wont be goin there anytime soon... still trying to research to find a place closer...so i'll let u know once i find a place and start fishing...
Old 09-06-05, 06:36 PM   #19
Rebbasser

You are correct, YBM-it weighs 1/4 oz. You are on the right track. Regarding weights, the only thing I use weights for is soft plastics on a Texas rig or Carolina rig. Everything else doesn't need additional weight. Speaking of which, here is a Texas or T-rig:

http://www.bassfishingusa.com/Rigging/rigging1.html

And a Carolina or C-rig:

http://www.bassfishingusa.com/Rigging/rigging2.html
Old 09-06-05, 06:51 PM   #20
youngbassman77

Thanks Reb !!! Cant wait to get out on the water and try all this... Will let u guys know how I do.... =)
Old 09-06-05, 06:57 PM   #21
pig n jig

Welcome, sorry I am slow getting around to it before now. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-05, 08:16 PM   #22
PowerBass

Welcome aboard. I too was a foot soldier, I still am, unless my brother in law takes me on the boat with him, which is usually only on weekends. I own the Cabelas Pro Guide TackleBag, in the 3600 series. It is very light, but can be a hasle when carrying 3 rods. I really like the fly fisherman style vest. Many pockets, enough room to hold a good assortment of lures, and soft plastics, my god I can hold 30 bags if I wanted to. I generally carry--- 3 types of cranks, 3 topwaters, 1 0r 2 Spinnerbaits, 1 Buzzbait, 1 Jig, Assortment of hooks, weights, swivels, snaps, another spool of line(optional, I dont usually take it unless I am really hikin way back), and some bug spray, you can also fit a drink and a bag of chips. Not bad huh??? Best part, once you get there you can take it off, and just put it back on to move.
Old 09-06-05, 08:37 PM   #23
youngbassman77

Thanks everyone for the "welcomes." I dont have much except for a rod, small tackle box, some hooks, weights, and swivels. Need to go down to the tackle shop and get some more plastics, spinnerbaits, and jigs, once i figure out what they are and their purpose...lol... so the only thing left to do is find a place near home and try all this stuff out, and see what results i get...

One more question: regarding plastic worms, does it matter what kind i get? there are so many...and the only ones that i used were the ones i mentioned earlier... so i will get those again. any other brands? sizes?
Old 09-06-05, 08:39 PM   #24
NJBassDevil
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Me and PowerBass were foot soldier at the local resivar one afternoon. Hopping to run into them Yankees(bass) and get a few under our belts. I was going way out on a limb and spotted a few. Right PB! But in the end us Rebels didnt achieve our goal.
Old 09-06-05, 08:45 PM   #25
PowerBass

NJ, if ya dont drink, ya should, ya just dont make sense sometimes.

for plastic worms, I like Zoom, Zoom U-tales, in the Junebug Color produce. Also I love the Tiki Stiks. Get tikis in 4 inch if available, otherwise the 5 inchers are great.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.