Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-08, 04:24 PM   #1
TheLimeyRookie
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Spinner baits weight or no weight

I have a spinner bait, something I have not used before. It is single-spin and I am not sure how to rig it. Do I need to weight the line? If so, with what and how close to the bait
TheLimeyRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-08, 04:33 PM   #2
pignjig
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I've seen catfishermen weight a spinnerbait but I've never had occasion to do that myself. Throwing it "weightless" is, in my opinion, about the only way that rascal will work properly. It's a fantastic bait and, once you get confidence in using it, you might find it's one of your go to's in a lot of situations and conditions. Good luck!

-Pig
pignjig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-08, 05:49 PM   #3
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

ok a spinner bait that you buy is a weighted before you buy it. the weight is hidden by paint normally has an eye -not always.

you have the lower arm which has the hook on it -see also the sharp pointy thingy- and the upper or blade arm..

zooker
Old 04-14-08, 06:32 PM   #4
Rebbasser

Welcome to the forum!

Spinnerbaits are already rigged-just tie it on at the R-bend and start throwing it.
Old 04-14-08, 07:16 PM   #5
bamabassman

i didn't want to be mean, so i waited for da zook, lol. i am in a bad mood today gang.....very sorry. and welcome to the nuthouse friend of the largemouth sow bellies. and nod you are fodder for the bait monkey as well as the rest of us, hahaha. welcome for real.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-08, 11:04 PM   #6
keithdog

Welcome aboard rookie. Like it was said already, just tie it on and start casting. The spinnerbait comes with the weighted head built in. I do prefer to use a trailor on the hook of my spinnerbaits. Usually a 3-4 inch twister type grub. Should the occation ever come up when you want to weight down your spinnerbait more than it is already in order to reach deeper water there is a trick you can try. Take a rubbercoar sinker of the weight you want to add, say 1/8 oz for example. Remove the rubber strip in the middle of the rubbercoar sinker. Then clamp the weight to the wire portion of the spinnerbait between the line tie and the head of the bait. The closeer to the head the better. Squeeze it tight with plyers and your ready to go.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-08, 04:03 PM   #7
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Welcome to the Nut-House! What Zook and Reb said.

BB
Old 04-15-08, 04:06 PM   #8
carolina-rig-01

you can also control the depth a little bit with another trick. if you bend the wire apart a little (blades away from the hook) the spinner bait will lift more, meaning it will run shallower with a slower retrieve. do the opposite (bend the wire together) and it will not lift as much, running deeper with faster retrieves. these bends are very small adjustments. very slight bends made at the r bend. you don't want a bend or "kink" in any part of the wire so i just hold the bait with the head in the palm of my hand and the blades out towards my fingers and kinda squeeze them together fairly firmly. it's a lot easier to do than it is to explain haha.
Old 04-15-08, 04:09 PM   #9
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

That'a a great tip! I've never heard that. I'll have to try it. Thanks C-rig

BB
Old 04-15-08, 09:13 PM   #10
bamabassman

carolina i just read an article stating what you posted my friend. and i usually bend them to keep it from tangling. never noticed it going deeper. but thought something was different. and now i know why, rofl.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.