Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-06, 01:32 PM   #1
striker23
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to striker23
Default help with these ponds

the blue parts are the areas where ive hooked moderate sized bass. the red box is my house. do any of yall have any tips of any other locations in that chain of ponds that might have good sized bass. i know they are there in the ponds because ive seen people pull em out and ive seen some monster bass when they come to the shallows every now and then.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	seasidehouse.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	95  
striker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-06, 03:15 PM   #2
Futurepro22

Send a message via AIM to Futurepro22

not givin us much to work with here
Futurepro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-06, 03:45 PM   #3
Bass Ackwards

Start fishing the points and looking for structure and cover. You are so close to the water looks like you could build something and throw something in. "As the say build it and they will come"
Bass Ackwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-06, 08:21 PM   #4
striker23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurepro22
not givin us much to work with here
thats exactly why i cant figuire out what to do, as you said there isnt much to work with
Old 01-31-06, 09:06 PM   #5
Marty
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

My best advice is to thoroughly work any visible cover and/or structure. Otherwise, spend as much time there as you can and keep moving, covering a lot of water. After awhile, some patterns may become apparent. At least that's what I do in the non-descript ponds that I fish.

Like the pond I fished most the last couple of years: I still cover all the shoreline that I can access, because a fish can be caught anywhere, but I spend more time in this one area because it has produced the most fish, even though I have no idea why.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-06, 09:29 PM   #6
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Some of the lakes around here with housing all over the place have coves that resemble those ponds. I bet the areas you have caught fish in have a slope on them, that the fish can relate too.. Just imagine a point on a lake that has a slope, many times the fish hang right on the breakoff of the slope and will come closer to the bank to feed, then meander back to the depths....I am betting your pond had some of the deeper pockets with a hill ...near by...
You can Carolina rig that whole region and get a feel for the depths.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-06, 09:34 PM   #7
Fish On

Send a message via AIM to Fish On

I would try in between where you caught moderate size circles. Almost seems like it could be a channel that bass would move around in. They could go through in the spring for spawning and fall for shad. Depends on depths a lot as well
Old 01-31-06, 09:39 PM   #8
JB

It makes ya wonder if those bass just cruise in circles all over the edges looking for food. The pond on the right sure had lots of good looking curves and points......I wonder how deep it is..8ft or under??
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-06, 09:42 PM   #9
striker23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish On
I would try in between where you caught moderate size circles. Almost seems like it could be a channel that bass would move around in. They could go through in the spring for spawning and fall for shad. Depends on depths a lot as well
in fact during the late spring - and summer, ive seen them moving through that channel with thier mouths wide open in groups of about 8. they swim close to the surface like that, and go back and forth between those two bigger bodies of water. does that mean they are spawning?
Old 01-31-06, 09:47 PM   #10
Fish On

Send a message via AIM to Fish On

They may be schooling up. If they are close to the surface try buzzbaits, chuggers and spooks. All 3 have different actions so hopefully they will like one. In the spring a lot of times you see a ton of bass moving and it is spawn. If they are smaller than a 2 lbs they are males. But you may run into the "Big Mama"
Old 02-01-06, 01:48 AM   #11
KenDammit
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

if they're close to the surface you could also try flukes rigged weightless. Work it fast around the fish when they're up on the surface and you may pull a few outta there.

As for the pond, how much of it have you spent good quality time fishing? By that I mean, how many times have you went to try and work one spot over really thoroughly with all different kinds of techniques to find out what may be under the water and if bass ever hold there? Is there a lot of fishing that happens on this water? Those tight corners would surely hold a few bass from time to time and some of those outward corners look like they'd be really good points with flats up near the two larger coves at the top. Also with the way the two banks squeeze in there coming down from the larger coves, I'd almost bet theres a channel running through there that may be good to work with a carolina rig, a jig, spinnerbaits, senkos.
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-06, 11:53 PM   #12
fishin_dude

Old 02-06-06, 12:28 AM   #13
lizardsrule

Hey fishin dude you forgot a point on the upper left pond LOL.

Can you give us more info, like depth, vegetation(either submerged or not). Are there flats, or does is pretty much drop down the same rate all around? Any rocks/riprap anywhere. In fishing these types of ponds, I would do as Marty stated, and walk everywhere, and look for anything, and I mean anything that is a change. Such as a tiny little indentation on the shore, a lone rock standing by itself, a bit of vegetation, a change in the type of vegetation, a change in the bottom composition. There are so many things that can and will work. What have you used so far, and what out of that have you had success with. What type of forage is around, bluegill/brim/frogs/lizards etc... And what part of the country are we talking about? Sorry but all of these can have a bearing on where and how to fish. It may be as simple as fishing at night too. My gut says that you probably have a few guys who fish it, and most folks who live there don't. But that could be wrong too. A little more info along the lines above can go a long way in figuring out the fish.

Lizards
Old 02-06-06, 09:33 AM   #14
basser087
BassFishin.Com Member

Try fishing those small pockets in the early spring. How warm is the water where you live now?
basser087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-06, 09:36 AM   #15
bassintom
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

on the "L"shaped pond all the way on the left...the blue circle is almost on that long sand bar.....don't know how you just missed that one...it's clearly visible..i'd work the living cra* out of that....
i have some very small ponds near me..it's an old aquaculture farm..there are 6 or 7 ponds there all under an acre each...i've been catching pickerel and some nice bass(not big,maybe 2 lbs) on the 3"(i think)husky jerk(suspending).water temp is around 40 degrees.
also on the odd shaped pond,look in the far cove(next to the road).looks like a little hump and dropoff...unless there's something i don't know about this section of the pond(like polluted or something).i would almost guarantee there's bass there.
dang!just started snowing..hope this helps...wish i could zoom in on this.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.