Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-11, 11:59 PM   #26
66KingFisher
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I pretty much alway wear a ballcap in the summer, but ONLY the ones with the mesh back, and not cloth....and mostly when the winds blowing strong, since they seem to stay on my head better, but when its calm I'll wear my panama style straw hat.

I'm not a wearer of short pants...never have been...I own a couple of pair, but you won't catch me wearing them very often....guess I just don't like my skinnyarse frog legs, so long jeans are normally my paints of choice no matter what I'm doing....and 98.9% of whats hangin in my closet is black, so thats usually what I wear fishing.....I think its the biker in me that makes me wear black....lol.

Until recently my fishing shirt of choice was the same shirt I'd wear doing anything else...a sleeveless teeshirt, and most times it's also black in color....but awhile back I purchased one of those anglers shirts I've always seen the pros wear....like that blue shirt in the Arron Martin photo above.....I picked it up at Walmart and started wearing it instead of a tee shirt, and I gotta admit....I like it.....Everything except the button up front that seems to catch on my spinning reel handle occasionally, but any button up shirt might do the same thing I suppose.....Although I think because of the way the shirt is made with the mesh back and big open area for ventilation that allows the shirt to sort of "puff up" occasionally when the wind blows just right....Otherwise, I like it well enough that its the only shirt I've been wearing when fishing and I plan on buying a few more....I got short sleeved now,but will probably grab a few long sleeve ones too.

Shoes.......Who needs them......I wear flipflops walking on the hot asphalt from the truck to the boat, then they come off when I'm on the water......And "yes" I apply a bit of sunscreen to the tops of my feet to keep from cookin them.....I'm probably the only angler on the water with snow white frog legs and really tanned feet....lol

As fer the unmentionables.....I've been wearing boxer/briefs for years and never had a problem.....and for the record they are usually black too....lol
Old 07-27-11, 12:18 AM   #27
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I went ahead and bought a Helios Sun Hat today. It is really light weight and very thin with a UPF 50+ rating. The hat seems to be very well made and the material seems to be of high quality and is sewn in a rip stop pattern.

The hat has a soft, moisture wicking headband that makes it very comfortable. It doesn't come in numbered hat sizes, just S, M, L and XL. It does have a small elastic band that runs through the main hat band and comes out in the back, this allows you to fine tune the size and fit. The hat also has a nice chin strap that can be tightened up in windy conditions.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I think this is a good looking sun hat but probably isn't what I'd wear for a night out on the town. It is however, a big, floppy hat. If you're looking for something with some shape to it, this isn't the hat for you. I got the khaki color, they also had a very light, off white color.

My initial impression of this hat is very favorable. Time will tell how it does on the water. It's super light weight and the crown of the hat is very thin, it doesn't have much for ventilation though. The hat is machine washable and the "foam stiffened" brim floats. Mainly though, it should go a long way in keeping my face, head and neck out of the direct path of the sun.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.