Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-08, 01:49 PM   #1
Whup
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Just a couple of questions...

Hey yall,

I'm new to fishing.This is my second year and i'm a fanatic about it(so my wife says)

My questions are:
1.) I've heard discussion about all the different brands of worms but never hear ZOOM mentioned what are yalls opinion on these.BPS is and hour and a half away for me so i'm stuck buying at Wal-Mart(or internet.If i wanna wait).
2.)The bait scents i've been curious about.Do they really work? And if so,whats best?

I'm a first time poster to these forums too.Although,I have been stalking them awhile.Great discussion here and it's taught me alot.
Whup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-08, 02:19 PM   #2
basskicker
BassFishin.Com Active Member

1. zoom is my favorite brand of soft plastic lures. definitely nothing wrong with throwing zoom lures.

2. from my experience with scents, they really work. it sometimes makes the fish hold on to the bait a little longer instead of just bearlly biting and swimming away. i use garlic scent most of the time.

Welcome to the forums, glad youve learned a lot.
Old 01-30-08, 03:28 PM   #3
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

zoom worms are great! in fact there is a few post on there now about their trick worms. i think at times maybe scents help, or maybe it's our imagination. but if it gives you more confidence than use it. confidence is the most important thing in fishing and use whatever gives your confident in.

ps. welcome aboard.
Old 01-30-08, 03:30 PM   #4
Raul
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Zoom has almost any kind of highly productive baits, you name it, you can be shure Zoom has it, straight tail worms ? yup ! Trickworms & Finesse worms, C tail worms ? yup, Ultravibe worms, French fries ? 3 types being the most productive for me the Salty Centipede, U tail worms ? problem is choosing which colors you like in the SS U-tale, creatures ? brush hogs, lizards, craws; grubs ? No problem !, jerkbaits ? of course !.

Zoom is readily available, dirt cheap & good quality products.

About scents, if you think they are going to help by all means use them, me ? I never add scent to baits, if it comes scented ---> fine, if it doesn´t have scent ---> fine.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-08, 04:55 PM   #5
Lilmoosecountry

Zoom lizzards are all i buy for flipping. You can get a lizzard kit at Wally World for like 9.95. The same kit at BPS is like 26.95 for the same kit. You know what they say ( Why pay more for what you can get for less ) Normally i hate big busuniess. I like the little guy. But i rather pay Wally his low prices than BPS's.
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-08, 05:37 PM   #6
Whup
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the help yall.
I appreciate ya.
Old 01-30-08, 08:14 PM   #7
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whup View Post

My questions are:
1.) I've heard discussion about all the different brands of worms but never hear ZOOM mentioned what are yalls opinion on these.BPS is and hour and a half away for me so i'm stuck buying at Wal-Mart
i am guessing you all live north of maryland. zoom has been a long staple here in the southern part of the country..fairly cheap plastic baits that work well.

about 90+% of us use zoom products.. zoom pretty much makes every kind of bait you can think of in a ton of differant colors..

ask an open question about which zoom bait we like best and you will get 30 differant colors of about 45 differant baits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul View Post
Zoom is readily available, dirt cheap & good quality products.
not as available as you would think raul..

zooker
Old 01-30-08, 08:54 PM   #8
toneyoutdoors.com
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via MSN to toneyoutdoors.com

Yep zoom baits is almost all i use in soft plastic. I also use scents when the bite is tuff. The only scent i use is CB's Hawg Sauce and i have won a ton of tournaments with a zoom trick worm on a shakey head with the CB's Hawg Sauce sweet and sassy garlic gel.
toneyoutdoors.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-08, 12:52 AM   #9
bassinbob

Hey Raul, you forgot the Horny Toad. The best toad out there. I've got 40 different brands to prove it too! Welcome WHUP. Hey Toney, how is that CB's? Read about it on another forum. All those guys like it but I never asked anyone. Have you put it up against other brands?
Old 02-02-08, 02:52 PM   #10
jooleyen

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

I agree with c-rig01 on the whole confidence deal. Even if the scent doesn't really work, if it helps your confidence, then by all means use it. And then once you've gained confidence in whatever bait you use scent on, (like a jig, spinnerbait, or plastic worm) you can wean off the scent and then not even use it. Kind of like a drug addict. Just ask lunker-lander.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-08, 09:00 PM   #11
lunker-lander

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

Funny, Kozak, real funny!

-Lunk-
Old 02-13-08, 06:19 PM   #12
Tracker
BassFishin.Com Member

I use cb's hawg sauce and it has increased my catch. I like the sweet and sassy garlic, but want to try the new stuff crawfish.
ps I don't work for cb or on any pro staff. I just like the stuff.
Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-08, 07:20 PM   #13
lunker-lander

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

Nothin' like a tried and true answer!

-Lunk-
Old 02-15-08, 11:56 AM   #14
BASSITUP
BassFishin.Com Member

i really like the zoom worns also
Old 02-22-08, 09:54 PM   #15
bamabassman

LOVE ZOOM LIZARDS!!! all colors and also the 6 to 7 inch worms.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-08, 09:11 PM   #16
k-money
BassFishin.Com Member

YUM baits are the way to go. Thats all i use. Caught 17 bass on a two hour kayak fishing trip down the local river with the Zellamander lizard and Ribbontail worm made by YUM. My friend who hasn't fished before caught a nice 20 inch largemouth on the Zellamander.

Good luck

Last edited by k-money; 02-25-08 at 09:12 PM. Reason: spelling
k-money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-08, 09:10 PM   #17
bamabassman

i have some yum softs as well. but does the scents really help? tried them years ago with no luck. heard of hawg sauce, but where do you get it?
Old 02-28-08, 07:28 PM   #18
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

Here we go.You long timers know what's coming...
All you need is 4" red shad and 4" motor oil powerworms.And a can of WD-40 for more scent.
The only zoom baits I use are 4" watermelon lizards in early spring and the chartruese fat albert grubs in extremely cold water(34-39 degrees).
Old 02-29-08, 11:05 AM   #19
Whup
BassFishin.Com Member

Bassintom,are you kidding about the WD-40?If so i have a case of it in the garage.I'll never have to buy scent again!
Old 03-01-08, 10:00 AM   #20
bassintom

I wouldn't kid about something as serious as WD-40.These guys know I've been a long time user of WD..It works for everything,even scent.Just try it.
Old 03-01-08, 03:55 PM   #21
Tracker
BassFishin.Com Member

Link for CB hawg sauce

http://fishinfanatics.com/CBsStore.html
I heard of people using wd 40 as a scent. Now I am not a pro, but have done some research on scents. From what I have learned is that gas and oil are a neutral scent to bass. They don't care if those scents are in the water or not. And as WD-40 is a petroleum based product, I would think that it has no great attraction to bass.
Now if an angler like bassintom uses a neutral scent on his lures, and catches fish, I suspect that it is not the scent, but the skill of the angler using the rod and reel and where that angler is using that rod and reel that catches fish.
As for me, I need all the help I can get, so I am sticking with CB hawgs sauce. I have tried all kinds of scents on the market, and even some I've made but CB's just works better.
Once again I do not work for nor get any payback from CB nor do I know him other than we are on some of the same boards. I just like the sauce.
Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-08, 07:58 AM   #22
Patrick Krueger, Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I think I posted something I read in a magazine's fishing tips section some time back about melting petroleum jelly and adding your favorite scent so that it stays on longer. I only tried it the one year. Globbing it on too much messed with the action though. Then, the zip-lock container broke open and my truck still smells like garlic.
Old 03-02-08, 11:11 PM   #23
bassintom

Quote:
Now if an angler like bassintom uses a neutral scent on his lures, and catches fish, I suspect that it is not the scent, but the skill of the angler using the rod and reel and where that angler is using that rod and reel that catches fish.
Ever hear the saying."even a blind dog finds the bone once in a while"?

I'm an old fart now and stuck in my routine.That's why I use it.I can't really say if it does help but it puts my mind at ease knowing it's on the bait.....And it loosens my rusty pliers.
Old 03-06-08, 07:01 PM   #24
k-money
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
i have some yum softs as well. but does the scents really help? tried them years ago with no luck. heard of hawg sauce, but where do you get it?
I don't know if they changed over the years but the bass seem to love them around here. I don't use the spray scents, I just use the lure as it comes. Sorry about the late reply, i've been busy
k-money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-08, 09:49 PM   #25
bamabassman

cool k-money. i have the frogs. they are great in the spring. missed a really big one last year. it had to be a least a 12 pounder. i just paniced, jerked too soon. oh well he is still there, lol.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.