Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-11, 09:24 PM   #1
BassFeverJohn
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Today...

It was cold, wet, misty, dreary, and all together disgusting outside, so of course I went fishing!

I hooked up with 10 fish, but I only landed 5 of them. One was so small I didn't even bother weighing it or taking pics. Two jumped out of my hands before I could weigh or take pics, and landed back in the water; two of them were 8oz each.

One that got away from me before I could get proof was better than a pound. My biggest of the year so far.

The star of the day was a new color of Creme worm called Motor Oil. They ignored everything else I tossed at them, but they tore the MO's up.

Old 02-04-11, 09:58 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

nice man. yes i am a little jelous of ya, but glad you got out there and landed a few. thanks man. spring is a coming i know.
Old 02-04-11, 10:36 PM   #3
BassFeverJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
nice man. yes i am a little jelous of ya, but glad you got out there and landed a few. thanks man. spring is a coming i know.
I'll bet you next time I get one over a pound if you'll change that thing to a Gator next month!
Old 02-05-11, 01:19 AM   #4
Embrey

serious question...are there any normal size or big fish where you fish at?
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-11, 01:53 AM   #5
BassFeverJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embrey View Post
Lol... Call it a lack of editing. I love every fish I catch, so I tend to record anything half a pound or more, and even a few a lot smaller.

If I was a bit more picky about what I shared my posts would look more like this... although I will admit that I have not caught anything of size this year...

Below are Jay (James86) and his buddy Gerber.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-1.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	6218   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-2.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	6219   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-3.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	6220   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	6221   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-4.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	6222  

Old 02-05-11, 01:55 AM   #6
nofearengineer

Quote:
What do you care? Are his fish beneath your standards or something?
Old 02-05-11, 03:07 AM   #7
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

At least you have soft water. Here is all HARD, and this toothy critter was hauled out from under the ice on our local "BIG BASS LAKE" which is not such a great bass lake recently because of these damn fish being added to it, last weekend. A non-local muskie club, "invaded" our area and conned the State Fisheries Commission to adding seveal thousand pure strain muske to our 800 acre lake that had an established population of tiger muskies already. It's not uncommon, after only 4 years, to catch muskie regularly, AND they are a royal PITA for taking bass lures,and not giving them back!
Anyway, my rant is over - but I do hate these fish, really I hate catching them.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-11, 03:47 AM   #8
BassFeverJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
At least you have soft water. Here is all HARD, and this toothy critter was hauled out from under the ice on our local "BIG BASS LAKE" which is not such a great bass lake recently because of these damn fish being added to it, last weekend. A non-local muskie club, "invaded" our area and conned the State Fisheries Commission to adding seveal thousand pure strain muske to our 800 acre lake that had an established population of tiger muskies already. It's not uncommon, after only 4 years, to catch muskie regularly, AND they are a royal PITA for taking bass lures,and not giving them back!
Anyway, my rant is over - but I do hate these fish, really I hate catching them.
I can understand your consternation over what happened, but really, how can you hate catching that!?

We have gar here, but good luck taking one on a bass lure. I'd kill to catch that fish!
Old 02-05-11, 07:24 AM   #9
walkeraviator

I have hooked Gar on bass lures before. If you wanna hook one of those Gars, just tie a 12" piece of hemp rope to the end of some braid in the middle (wacky style)... some even put a treble hook on each end of teh rope, but it isnt needed as the Gars teeth usually get super tangled in the rope... Around here Gar are notorious for hittin anything that moves.

As for that Motor Oil color... a MO berkley power worm has been my gin clear water color of choice cince i was a youngster... its an awesome color.
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-11, 09:49 AM   #10
bcklash

I like what BFJ said " I love every fish I catch" I do too. Keep posting the pix John.
Old 02-05-11, 10:09 AM   #11
coachpurdy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Be proud of everyone my friend, love the pics.
coachpurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-11, 11:20 AM   #12
Embrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
What do you care? Are his fish beneath your standards or something?
why do YOU care? i asked a serious question. dont like it? i really could care less
Old 02-05-11, 11:23 AM   #13
Embrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassFeverJohn View Post
Lol... Call it a lack of editing. I love every fish I catch, so I tend to record anything half a pound or more, and even a few a lot smaller.

If I was a bit more picky about what I shared my posts would look more like this... although I will admit that I have not caught anything of size this year...

nice ! just wondered . not sure where you are in florida but i know okechobee is full of those little things if youre in the wrong spot . now if youre in the right spot....
Old 02-05-11, 11:28 AM   #14
bassboogieman

I could write way too much on why, but bottom line is these fish can wreck havoc on your tackle box. I rarely fish there anymore (especially the last two years) as I regularly lost 3 -4 lures to these fish due to bite off or break off with my bass tackle each time I fished there. When I do visit this lake, I DO NOT throw any of my "good" crankbaits there anymore - think of loosing 3 or 4 Lucky Crafts every day spent fishing here (like twice a week) for a month, and this gets EXPENSIVE. So adjusting my fishing style for bass, because of the preponderance of these big (pure strain) muskie now in the lake, has taken a lot of the enjoyment out of it. And because of that, the lake that was once my favorite is seldom visited. It seems totally unfair to me, from a bass fisherman's perspective, because muskie fishermen are not impacted by the bass in the lake, while the bass fisherman are impacted by the muskies. So that's why I hate (catching) them.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-11, 12:17 PM   #15
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Are their any manners where you live or do you treat everyone like this?

Don't pay any attention to crap like this John. It's easy to see that you are having a blast catching fish and that is all that matters. Besides, half of the country right now would kill to be catching fish right now rather than being snowed it.
Old 02-05-11, 12:19 PM   #16
Embrey

i didnt ask you either...lol. it wasnt meant as offensive. geez
Old 02-05-11, 03:20 PM   #17
BassFeverJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
I could write way too much on why, but bottom line is these fish can wreck havoc on your tackle box. I rarely fish there anymore (especially the last two years) as I regularly lost 3 -4 lures to these fish due to bite off or break off with my bass tackle each time I fished there. When I do visit this lake, I DO NOT throw any of my "good" crankbaits there anymore - think of loosing 3 or 4 Lucky Crafts every day spent fishing here (like twice a week) for a month, and this gets EXPENSIVE. So adjusting my fishing style for bass, because of the preponderance of these big (pure strain) muskie now in the lake, has taken a lot of the enjoyment out of it. And because of that, the lake that was once my favorite is seldom visited. It seems totally unfair to me, from a bass fisherman's perspective, because muskie fishermen are not impacted by the bass in the lake, while the bass fisherman are impacted by the muskies. So that's why I hate (catching) them.
Well, when you put it that way... Dang. I'd be pissed off too. I Mean, not at the fish; they're just doing what they do, and certainly didn't asked to be dumped in the lake. But, it would likely drive me off a lake too if I was loosing all my best lures to swimming snags.

Quote:
...it wasnt meant as offensive. geez
It's ok guys, I didn't take it as an offense. Maybe if he had not qualified it as a serious question, but truthfully, what does that matter? Fact is I catch a ton of dinks, and unlike most of you guys I post them. One of the reasons is because I blog about my fishing, and if I didn't put up the dinks I'd have nothing to post at times. But also, like I said, I love every fish I catch. I take pride in all of them.

Old 02-05-11, 03:28 PM   #18
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Well, when you put it that way... Dang. I'd be pissed off too. I Mean, not at the fish; they're just doing what they do, and certainly didn't asked to be dumped in the lake. But, it would likely drive me off a lake too if I was loosing all my best lures to swimming snags.

It's ok guys, I didn't take it as an offense. Maybe if he had not qualified it as a serious question, but truthfully, what does that matter? Fact is I catch a ton of dinks, and unlike most of you guys I post them. One of the reasons is because I blog about my fishing, and if I didn't put up the dinks I'd have nothing to post at times. But also, like I said, I love every fish I catch. I take pride in all of them.

As well you should hoss! You need to be proud of the progress you are making in the sport, I can remember when you first joined this site and you have come a long ways. Keep it up buddy!
Old 02-05-11, 03:53 PM   #19
nofearengineer

That pic is hilarious, John...but I think it sums it up nicely.
Old 02-05-11, 09:52 PM   #20
BBD

Good meeting you and james86 today, John!

We'll be back out there soon.
BBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-11, 10:09 PM   #21
BassFeverJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBD View Post
Good meeting you and james86 today, John!

We'll be back out there soon.

Hey, sorry the fishing sucked today. And I didn't think to say goodbye 'cause we just moved to another spot on the lake. I didn't mean to be rude

Jay managed to get a lil' guy on a senko, but I struck out.
Old 02-06-11, 12:30 AM   #22
Embrey

hey , where you guys fishin at?
Old 02-06-11, 12:41 AM   #23
BassFeverJohn

Quote:
hey , where you guys fishin at?
I live in Middleburg Florida. The lakes are in my Neighborhood. Technically you have to have an association ID to use the amenities here, and that includes fishing in the lakes, of which there are many.

However, I know of "outsiders" that do fish here and have had no issues yet, though I was ID'd by a security guard for the first time last week.
Old 02-06-11, 03:44 AM   #24
BBD

Quote:
Hey, sorry the fishing sucked today. And I didn't think to say goodbye 'cause we just moved to another spot on the lake. I didn't mean to be rude

Jay managed to get a lil' guy on a senko, but I struck out.

All good man, no worries!

I started throwing a 6" watermelon seed senko toward the end but it just wasn't happening. Good to know there are some quality fish in that lake though!
BBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-11, 10:33 AM   #25
keithdog

Thanks for the posting of your pics. I'm really looking foreward to soft water here. Another 6 weeks and I should be able to get out. I used to use Creme worms all the time but they are darn near impossible to find around here now. They used to be sold everywhere here.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.