Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-11, 12:52 PM   #1
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Hot weather wear re-visited.

This summer has been relentless in TX..101-103 heat can really drain you quickly and shorten your time on the water.It also messes with your focus and can cause you to become lazier imo...I know it has for me anyways.

So I kind of wanted to re-open a discussion about it for new tips/tricks/products....Basically get better prepared for next summer.

Ive been doing ''ok'' to battle it...I stay hydrated with about 4 qts of water a day,fish under shade,light-salty snacks (payday bars),etc
For clothing I got two pair of the Magellan convertible pants from academy...They really are nice for the price,($20) and very comfortable in this heat as well as quick dry..In fact I prefer them over shorts to keep the sun of my legs.
http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/st...337+4294967034

For my feet this summer,Ive bought some quicksilver flops..Comfy,dry quick,but my feet fry and now I got a whorish tan on them...So Im looking at light weight/fast dry shoes.....Fast dry is important,because Ive yet to enter my Dad's boat without soaking a foot...Hence the flop theory.
Columbia has the Drainmaker shoes that seem to be a good summer shoe...reasonable price (I dont skimp on foot comfort)
http://www.columbia.com/Men%27s-Drai...efault,pd.html

I also bought the Columbia PFG short sleeve T to try this summer.Very comfortable to wear,however,I really should have gotten a long sleeve,but they didnt have one,plus they're a little pricey for my budget..So Ill be hitting department stores for sales on micro mesh athletic long sleeves in light colors.
But Im wanting to hear other options if you got em!

Im also looking at the ''Buffs''...Im not the type to wear a pork pie/full brim hat to keep the sun off my neck..Im probably gonna order a flexfit fitted mesh cap ,and possibly a buff to cover my face and neck..And dip it in water ever now and then to cool off.
Does anyone wear one?...Likes /dislikes?
http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/st...Id=10051&Nao=0

Every time I finish fishing in the summer ,I swear Im gonna wait till Fall before I go back out...24hrs later...Im ready to do all over again...In fact,Im going here in an hour for lunch

So Im trying to be smart about it.
Old 07-21-11, 12:55 PM   #2
Embrey
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

this one never fails me...bandana, no shirt,sunglasses,shorts,flip flops and socks, and a cooler of beer with occasional water.
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-11, 01:16 PM   #3
rrw4258

I've really been pondering getting a Coolze Towel... I saw them advertised on the Bassmaster Elite Series this year and saw quite a few of the anglers as well as TD Trip Weldon wearing them. Everybody was preaching them like crazy.... hmmm, just may have to order one.

http://thecoolze.com/index.php?route...&product_id=64

Ryan
Old 07-21-11, 01:35 PM   #4
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Cool thread waffle. I've never been much one for wearing long sleeve shirts and long pants to keep the sun off me. Pretty much the same for every time, some shorts, a sleeveless shirts, and some flip flops. I'd like to get some different flip flops for fishing though. The ones I have get real slippery when I get em wet. ear a I DON'T what anymore. I think it's something like 60% of your body escapes through your head, and wearing a hat keep some of it in. I find I considerably cooler without one.

Last edited by Bassboss; 07-21-11 at 09:06 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-11, 03:50 PM   #5
WaffleJaw

The long sleeves and pants are for protection more than anything.As long as the shirts are moist wickening that is..I know my arms get super dry in this heat/sun,and thinking long term....I dont want complications later.
My wife's Dad already has some from playing golf.

I also hate putting on and wearing sunscreen.

Im looking at something like this for a hat...Something that will breath more.
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Flexfit-Hat-...item5f76398016
Old 07-21-11, 07:02 PM   #6
nobass

me i stick with wide brim staw hat, cotton t shirt. and cottonshort. and canvas shoes so top of feet do not burn. i have a cool rags. and cool head band also the type that stay cold when activated with water. really seems to help. dosen"t look all that cool but keeps me cooler
Old 07-21-11, 07:55 PM   #7
bassboogieman

My wife got one of these from Amazon .http://www.amazon.com/Evaporative-Co...373734&sr=8-10
I scoffed at it when she gave it to me, but after trying it, well it works. I soak it in my cooler, has to have water to activate the gel, and drap it around my neck. Good for about 20 - 30 minutes then recharge. Lowers body temp through the application of the cold pack to the veins in the neck.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 07-22-11 at 06:31 PM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-11, 04:22 PM   #8
carolina-rig-01

I have been on the water every Saturday for the last month or so and it's crazy hot. Usually we hit the water at about 4:45am and fish until around noon. We are usually happy to get off the water by mid day because of the heat and the play crowd. Honestly I don't know which bothers me the most. I wear a pair of Crocs flip flops. Yeah I have a very nice tan line since I have been wearing the same pair for 3 years now and I get very dark lol. But they are the only thing I have put on my shoes that let me stand on the front deck all day and not have my knees, back, and hips, pissed off at me at the end of the day. I have tried everything from Nike Shoxs to Crocs and everything in between........Crocs win hands down. As for pants I wear light shorts, usually white. I don't know if the color really helps me much but the light weight part does. I got a few pairs of them from J.C. Penny and a few pairs from American Eagle and they really feel a lot like swim suit material. For a shirt I just wear a loose fitting light colored t-shirt. I have looked for the Columbia shirts around here for a while now with no luck so I guess I will have to order one.

Here is the hat that I wear. I bought it after I bought my Costa del Mars and I love it. Which reminds me I need to order a few more because this one is becoming kinda funky and it's now a designated fishing hat lol.

I am also looking for a few boonie hats to buy, like the ones Aaron Martens wears. I think they would be the cats meow on hot days like we are facing right now.

As for taking care of myself. I drink lots and lots of water. About 6 months ago I went on an all water diet. I drink nothing but water and I feel better now than I ever have. The only exceptions are on really hot days when I will drink some Gatorade. I will go through cases of bottled water like it's going out of style, even when I am just sitting around the house. I pack the cooler in the boat with all the water it can hold and I will drink 1-2 bottles an hour once the sun gets up and it gets hot. I also pack a small cooler with frozen water bottles so I can set one out on the front deck and it wont' get hot too fast. I eat very light snacks throughout the day rather than one big lunch. I really like eating peanut butter crackers and they are also good for my low blood sugar which is a bonus.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-11, 04:30 PM   #9
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
I am also looking for a few boonie hats to buy, like the ones Aaron Martens wears. I think they would be the cats meow on hot days like we are facing right now.
That's what I'm looking for too. I looked to see if Martens was sponsored by a company that made those hats but I didn't find anything. The only ones I've seen are the Columbia hats and I don't really like them. I'm going to have to go to REI and see what they have.
Old 07-22-11, 04:36 PM   #10
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
That's what I'm looking for too. I looked to see if Martens was sponsored by a company that made those hats but I didn't find anything. The only ones I've seen are the Columbia hats and I don't really like them. I'm going to have to go to REI and see what they have.
If you find any good ones let me know. I have looked all over and other than a few on ebay I haven't seen anything I liked. I am not sure if I like the ones on ebay or not because it's hard to see how they fit online lol.
Old 07-22-11, 04:54 PM   #11
Top Tiger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

The thing that I want most are clothes that don't get too heavy when I jump off the boat to cool off. Lol. Kidding aside, I've found that something as simple as a dark underside of your hat brim works wonders.The shade seems cooler because of less glare off the water. Also helps with seeing into the water.
Top Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-11, 04:55 PM   #12
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
If you find any good ones let me know. I have looked all over and other than a few on ebay I haven't seen anything I liked. I am not sure if I like the ones on ebay or not because it's hard to see how they fit online lol.

I could be wrong,But it resembles the Outdoor Research,Transit hat
http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/...t_sun_hat.html
Old 07-22-11, 05:07 PM   #13
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
I could be wrong,But it resembles the Outdoor Research,Transit hat
http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/...t_sun_hat.html
By cracky I think you found it! If that isn't it then it's dang close. I believe I might be placing an order.
Old 07-22-11, 08:25 PM   #14
Jrob78

That does look like it! Good find!

The Helios Sun Hat doesn't have the vent on the sides but otherwise looks similar.

Make sure whatever hat you get has SPF protection. I wore a regular wide brim floppy hat and my bald head got sunburned through the hat.

I'm going to go to REI next week and find one, they sell the Outdoor Research hats and many others. I will post my findings.
http://www.rei.com/category/40003701

Last edited by Jrob78; 07-22-11 at 09:24 PM.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-11, 02:00 AM   #15
Jrob78

Found a good picture of Aaron Martens' hat in the photo gallery of todays practice.
It's definitely an Outdoor Research hat. I'm sure there are lots of companies that make good hats though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0437_0.jpg
Views:	1858
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	7030  
Old 07-23-11, 02:20 PM   #16
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Found a good picture of Aaron Martens' hat in the photo gallery of todays practice.
It's definitely an Outdoor Research hat. I'm sure there are lots of companies that make good hats though.
No doubt about it. I am going to have to order one or two of them.
Old 07-23-11, 03:28 PM   #17
Jrob78

Another thing that I don't hear talked about much but is absolutely critical for me, is underwear. Anytime I'm going to be anywhere where sweating is a possibility, I wear moisture wicking boxer briefs. There is absolutely nothing worse than cotton boxers getting soaked from sweat and riding up. The ones I wear are Champion C9 brand from Target. They aren't expensive at all and make life so much more comfortable when you're sweaty.
Old 07-23-11, 04:00 PM   #18
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Another thing that I don't hear talked about much but is absolutely critical for me, is underwear. Anytime I'm going to be anywhere where sweating is a possibility, I wear moisture wicking boxer briefs. There is absolutely nothing worse than cotton boxers getting soaked from sweat and riding up. The ones I wear are Champion C9 brand from Target. They aren't expensive at all and make life so much more comfortable when you're sweaty.
That is a very good point Joe. I will have to get some of those underwears to try. I fight this at work like crazy. I powder my butt with corn starch a few times a day to keep from chapping. There is nothing worse than a case of the red arse lol. Especially when I work 48 hours in 4 days and it happens on the second day, it makes things miserable for sure.
Old 07-23-11, 04:02 PM   #19
bamabassman

no.....not saying a thing cause this is for real a serious thread. nope........not gonna do it. i promise.
Old 07-25-11, 05:23 PM   #20
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
no.....not saying a thing cause this is for real a serious thread. nope........not gonna do it. i promise.
When the subject of underwear came up I knew there was a very good chance that someone would crack a joke. But it's a very important part of staying comfortable in the heat because nothing will make you more uncomfortable that your butt being raw from sweat.
Old 07-25-11, 05:31 PM   #21
pro reel

I have never thought of looking for moisture wicking under duds. I need to check those out. maybe then I could use less monkey butt powder.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-11, 05:36 PM   #22
pro reel

After reading this post this week, it was a coincidence that I saw a new hat I'm interested in. American legacy has this panama hat that they designed for fishing. It has a cool max head band. It's on sale right now for $44.00. It looks good. I like the looks of the outdoor research hat also, the vented boonie hat seems to be a good idea. Arrons hat looks cool. but is it COOL?
http://www.americanlegacyfishing.com...raw-hat-4.html
Old 07-25-11, 07:01 PM   #23
Jrob78

I'm going to REI tomorrow after work to check out the Outdoor Research hats. I'll let you guys know how I like them when I get home. I imagine I will come home with one.

I also found some hats at Cabelas, they're a little more expensive but look nice and get great reviews. If I don't like the OR hats, these are next on the list to look at.
http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/brows...&WTz_stype=GNU

The underwear thing is nothing to joke about. I won't wear a pair of regular boxers outside in the summer anymore. These are the ones I wear, they're cheap, comfortable and don't cause baboon ***. (if you can't handle seeing an underwear ad, don't click the link)
http://www.target.com/2pk-Performanc...k&frombrowse=1
Old 07-25-11, 11:14 PM   #24
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro reel View Post
I have never thought of looking for moisture wicking under duds. I need to check those out. maybe then I could use less monkey butt powder.
Does the Monkey Butt powder work that well? I have seen it at Tractor Supply and thought about trying it but I have had such good luck with using corn starch I didn't know if it would be worth trying it or not.

Quote:
The underwear thing is nothing to joke about. I won't wear a pair of regular boxers outside in the summer anymore. These are the ones I wear, they're cheap, comfortable and don't cause baboon ***. (if you can't handle seeing an underwear ad, don't click the link)
http://www.target.com/2pk-Performanc...k&frombrowse=1
I picked up a few packs of these tonight on Joes recommendation, so if I get a case of the red arse I am blaming him lol. Seriously I think that moisture wicking unmentionables is a great idea and I never knew they even existed, I am sure I will like them. And I think that as soon as John sees that link he will have a new screen saver lol.
Old 07-26-11, 01:12 PM   #25
pro reel

[QUOTE=carolina-rig-01;347815]Does the Monkey Butt powder work that well? I have seen it at Tractor Supply and thought about trying it but I have had such good luck with using corn starch I didn't know if it would be worth trying it or not.

I don't think it works any better than baby powder or any other remedy, but the name is cool.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.