Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-06, 05:22 PM   #1
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Airrus rod tryout

I put my reel on my 7ft. Airrus rod today and practiced some casts with it. I like the way it feels in my hand. Very comfortable. 1Fastlaser i don't think I will be sending them to you soon. It is very easy to cast with one hand. Seems to be better then my St. Croixs. I'll probably be giving it a real test this thursday or friday if the weather holds out. I'll just be fishing from shore. I didn't send for the boat license yet. All in all I think I am going to like these rods.

Bob
Old 01-10-06, 06:46 PM   #2
bass kicker

how much are the rods
Old 01-11-06, 12:35 AM   #3
bassinbob

I think they are $89.00. I got them on sale at Cabelas for $59.00.

Bob
Old 01-11-06, 07:35 AM   #4
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

What about the rod specifically do you like about it? Just trying to figure out why you like it over a St Croix, or any other rod for that matter. Is it specifically the weight is lighter, or the flex of the rod? Just trying to get a little more detailed info. Is there anything specifically with the handle that you like? Thanks for the info.

Lizards
Old 01-11-06, 05:24 PM   #5
bassinbob

Lizards, the weight is comperable to St. Croix. The grip is very comfortable, I think if I would be using this rod all day I would not suffer any tiredness of my hand. I didn't think I would like the grip on them but I got comfortable with it right away. Sort of like the grip on bass pro rods (hump) but on the Airrus it fits without any discomfort. It is not as light as my Kistler was, but it isn't much heavier. On the cast the flex as you call it really delivers the bait at the target. I really haven't studied flex that much as to the outcome of it. Hope that explination suffices on flex. If I could say it seems to put the bait more where you aim it than a St. Croix. Could be my inexperience. Don't get me wrong I still like St Croix. I won't abandon them. I seem better able to deliver the overhand cast with the Airrus more so than with the St. Croix. Side arm casts are equal. I came home today and was casting with it for a while. It was as though I have been using it for a long time. That foam grip or whatever it is, is a little giving so it seems like I can hold it better than cork. Back to flex if that is the same as loading up it does it nicely. Casting is somewhat effortless. I don't seem to have to throw it as hard to get a longer cast. Hope this helps. Remember I just started using bait casting last year so I might have not given you some answers you needed. But for the price i got them at I think they are worth it, maybe even regular retail. One question for you Lizards. You ever throw buzz-baits in winter? If you did any luck? If i read right you are in Florida now? Yeah all year fishing. I don't ice fish.

Bob
Old 01-11-06, 06:03 PM   #6
bass kicker

i like the softer cork grips they are a bit harder to find
Old 01-11-06, 09:42 PM   #7
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbob
Lizards, the weight is comperable to St. Croix. The grip is very comfortable, I think if I would be using this rod all day I would not suffer any tiredness of my hand. I didn't think I would like the grip on them but I got comfortable with it right away. Sort of like the grip on bass pro rods (hump) but on the Airrus it fits without any discomfort. It is not as light as my Kistler was, but it isn't much heavier. On the cast the flex as you call it really delivers the bait at the target. I really haven't studied flex that much as to the outcome of it. Hope that explination suffices on flex. If I could say it seems to put the bait more where you aim it than a St. Croix. Could be my inexperience. Don't get me wrong I still like St Croix. I won't abandon them. I seem better able to deliver the overhand cast with the Airrus more so than with the St. Croix. Side arm casts are equal. I came home today and was casting with it for a while. It was as though I have been using it for a long time. That foam grip or whatever it is, is a little giving so it seems like I can hold it better than cork. Back to flex if that is the same as loading up it does it nicely. Casting is somewhat effortless. I don't seem to have to throw it as hard to get a longer cast. Hope this helps. Remember I just started using bait casting last year so I might have not given you some answers you needed. But for the price i got them at I think they are worth it, maybe even regular retail. One question for you Lizards. You ever throw buzz-baits in winter? If you did any luck? If i read right you are in Florida now? Yeah all year fishing. I don't ice fish.

Bob
That explanation does help. Also as PNJ said in a earlier post the St Croix rod seem to be stiffer than most manufacturers with the same guide, ie MH on a Kistler has more flex to it than a MH St Croix. Now as for your question, I have thrown a Buzzbait down here within the last 2 weeks. Haven't caught one yet, have seen almost no topwater activity where I have fished. The water temps are 59-63 degrees. Now I have caught one in Indiana when the water temps were 39 degrees. I knew where the fish was, and brought it right over s tree she was sitting under. Only time I have ever caught a Bass on a topwater when water temps were below 48 degrees. I have heard people swear by them in the cold, I just don't and even if they do produce a fish now and again, there are much better baits to catch Bass with during the colder times IMO.

Lizards
Old 01-12-06, 07:22 AM   #8
1FASTLASER

Damn and I thought I was gonna add another to my collection. Oh well. I only endorse a product that I have tested extensivley and beleive me I have put the airrus rod through the testes. The grip as you mentioned doesnt look comfortable but is outta this world. Cold days are great because they do RETAIN body heat. Accuracy is by far one of the best. The actions and weight sold me. As far as being light but not giving up durability like some rods do I dont beleive there is a tougher rod available. The actions are beautiful. The rods when prssure is applied arc or bend like they are supposed to. A medium rod has a 50/50 action,the MH rod is more of a 30/70 action and the H action is more of a 20/80 or even a 10/90 action. Sensitivity is unbeleivable. Still my offer goes up. Buy it dont like it give me a holler.
1FASTLASER is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.