Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-06, 09:01 PM   #1
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Shrimp Problem

OK you brainiacs how about a little ingenutiy and ideas on this one. The shrimp have been running throughout the area, including the St Johns river. I saw a boat today that was cast netting for at least six hours I hope he got them all, because the fish aren't biting on anything so to speak. Me and my partner fished for about 11 hours today with a total of five bass. We didn't see anyone pull a fish out of the water all day except 1 fellow who was using LIVE SHRIMP, and he caught a nice 4-5lb bass . We used shrimp imitations, DOA'S, and Gulp, with no bites at all. The three I caught were on Pulse worms, and my partner caught one on a crank(the bass were chasing baitfish first thing this am), and so he got it real quick, but no other activity on that all day. He also caught one on a trick worm. We fished Rodman, and the St Johns river(Dunn's creek, Rat creek, and a couple of islands). This isn't typical of a outing for us either The guy who caught the nice bass said if you aint fishing with live shrimp right now, you aint gonna catch any bass. Well we did, but in my estimation it was a poor outing. Both of us are new to Florida, he's from NJ, and I'm from IN. Never had a overload of shrimp problem before LOL. What tactics/ideas/thoughts would you have here to put more fish in the boat We used cranks, spinnerbaits, t-rig, c-rigs, weightless plastics, shrimp imitations, topwater, drop shot. Flukes, lizards, curly tail worms, straight tail, zipper style. We fished bends, points, bridges, laydowns, sand bars, canals. Thanks in advance for your time and suggestions

Lizards
Old 10-15-06, 09:06 PM   #2
Rebbasser

You got me on this one, lizards-I have no clue. Y'all tried everything I would have suggested.
Old 10-15-06, 09:57 PM   #3
mack
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

i know you tried imitations but i would suggest berkley gulp shrimp.
mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-06, 11:00 PM   #4
WTL

Hmmm....

I would recommend going where there arent any shrimp.
Old 10-16-06, 04:49 AM   #5
zooker

shrimp runs in the john are legendary. when they run every thing and i mean every fish gorge them selves on shrimp.. you not going to catch bass or any thing else for that matter during the shrimp runs. you done pretty good for being in the middle of the run..

zooker
Old 10-16-06, 03:54 PM   #6
flbassman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardsrule View Post
The guy who caught the nice bass said if you aint fishing with live shrimp right now, you aint gonna catch any bass.

He has a major point. This has been a great year for the shrimp run, and the bass are gorging. The best way to fish this time of year is with a live shrimp either dropped deep for reds and who knows what else, or on a bobber under docks and trees. You can catch them on imitation shrimp and (don't ask me why) trick worms. The farther fresh you go, the better chances you have. Not a bad time of year to fish landlocked stuff.
Old 10-16-06, 05:34 PM   #7
CMorg

Lizards , where in IN are you from ??
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-06, 08:27 PM   #8
pig n jig

Lizards, Why the hell are you always wanting to share your troubles with us ? I suspect your imitation shrimp baits were either wrong size, wrong color, or the wrong presentation. If I were to climb out on a limb and guess what to do, I would find birds that are feeding.Most likely the bass will be herding the bait , birds will take advantage of the easy feed.If its impossible to keep up, start pitchin the old jig,bass will take a bigger meal, at this time I doubt they will be targeting stationary objects.If that don't work send me an instant message and say your full of chit. Roflmao .....what do you think about a rattle trap ? the noise might confuse them into a reaction bite ? Put some shrimp in the freezer for catfishin, they work great for cats any time of the year. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-06, 09:04 PM   #9
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by flbassman View Post
He has a major point. This has been a great year for the shrimp run, and the bass are gorging. The best way to fish this time of year is with a live shrimp either dropped deep for reds and who knows what else, or on a bobber under docks and trees. You can catch them on imitation shrimp and (don't ask me why) trick worms. The farther fresh you go, the better chances you have. Not a bad time of year to fish landlocked stuff.
I appreciate your honesty, but I fish enough live shiners with my dad. I want to trick them thar bass's

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMorg View Post
Lizards , where in IN are you from ??
For the last several years Mooresville, about 15 miles west of Indianapolis, previous to that the westide of Indy for most of my life, with the exception of the army, and really young we lived in Columbus, IN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig View Post
Lizards, Why the hell are you always wanting to share your troubles with us ? I suspect your imitation shrimp baits were either wrong size, wrong color, or the wrong presentation. If I were to climb out on a limb and guess what to do, I would find birds that are feeding.Most likely the bass will be herding the bait , birds will take advantage of the easy feed.If its impossible to keep up, start pitchin the old jig,bass will take a bigger meal, at this time I doubt they will be targeting stationary objects.If that don't work send me an instant message and say your full of chit. Roflmao .....what do you think about a rattle trap ? the noise might confuse them into a reaction bite ? Put some shrimp in the freezer for catfishin, they work great for cats any time of the year. P N J

The imitations could have been the wrong size, but the shrimp are in different sizes. I did throw a PNJ, and even swam it some. My partner was wearing out a blue/chrome rattletrap We did not see any birds hitting the water all day. I also threw the full sized Paca Craw to no avail.

Lizards
Old 10-17-06, 05:21 PM   #10
flfireman

Sorry buddy, not sure how to help on this one. There anit no shrimp in the Marsh and the St John's in my end of town is fresh water. I know in the Indian River when shrimp are running you pretty much use them or go hungry.
Old 10-17-06, 06:05 PM   #11
playhooky
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Ummm...SAND MINNOW?
Old 10-17-06, 06:08 PM   #12
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by playhooky View Post
Ummm...SAND MINNOW?
ROTFLMAO Look who showed up, how long has it been since you were here

Lizards
Old 10-17-06, 06:13 PM   #13
playhooky

the Reflecto-Meter says 12/31/69 but I think it's been about a year or 2. Hey Lizards (and all). Man...Nothing's changed except the Super Ultra Premier Elite ranking. Can I be Grand Poobah?
Old 10-17-06, 06:17 PM   #14
Christopherkeene9

What Fireman said here in the mosquito lagoon shrimp or nothing when the shimps are a runnin'
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-06, 07:11 PM   #15
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by playhooky View Post
Can I be Grand Poobah?
nope thats my title
but i will call ya "lil poo" just because.. nice to hear from the dead once and a while..

zooker
Old 10-17-06, 07:16 PM   #16
skeeter944

welcome back lil poo!
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-06, 12:23 PM   #17
Rodman_Rob

hey lizards, welcome to florida. get used to the summer fishing. wait another month or two and switch to big baits fished SSSSSSSLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW W. WHOA WHOA WHOA, slower than that. The St. Johns isn't an easy river to fish either. IF you can find the fish you're in the money, but finding them in that river can be a challenge as you've found out.
Old 10-19-06, 03:14 PM   #18
adamgambill

Maybe get salty on them. Did you try a popping cork with a shrimp? Kinda the old saying if life gives you lemons.... Just a thought. I like to throw crazy rigs. Sometimes it works, other times not so much.
Old 10-20-06, 10:11 AM   #19
flbassman

I was out yesterday, fished durbin creek with a buddy, throwing flukes and trick worms along the grass edges, nothing. So we gave up and fished a hole we know of in Mandarin point with shrimp, he got a nice (18") red, and I got a small stingray....
Old 10-21-06, 04:22 PM   #20
Vabass22

I would reccomend what gambill said, shrimp under a pooping cork.
Vabass22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.