Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-05, 09:28 PM   #1
scrap
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default fishing from river banks

it just dawned on me, has anyone been bank fishing the past month or so.
or have ya'll been using boats in the lakes, ponds, rivers? i have been hitting the river from the banks while walking. i have reason to believe that is why my luck, skill, talent, ambition, etc, (the list goes on,lol) has all resulted in less than satisfactory results in fish. mmmmm. mom said i could have been a genius if i had not fell off the high chair.
scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-05, 09:39 PM   #2
Fish On

Send a message via AIM to Fish On

Shores have been bad as well for me. I have been doing decent on my boat. Fishing in the north is harder this time of year.
Fish On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-05, 09:40 PM   #3
youngbassman77

Scrap--

I've been fishing from the banks pretty much everytime i go out to the lakes... Unless I'm able to rent a boat, then I would be fishing from a boat, but all in all, I mostly fish from the banks and have had pretty decent results.

Im new at this scene as well, and have come up empty handed MANY times... So Dont worry too much, just try different baits, rigs, and presentations...thats what i did, and it seems to work for me, so far... Hope this helps.... Good Luck !!!

~YBM
youngbassman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-05, 09:58 PM   #4
River stumps

Scrap! Some good fishing from the banks, as long as you have access, go for it. I used to do alot of it in my younger days. You don't live too far from the Shanadoah Valley. If you ever get a chance and want to catch alot of small mouth, go there with altra lite spinning tackle, 6lb line. You will have to gather your bait Helgrimate (Spell check) They cling to the bottom of small rocks, Get about a dozen of those and they will last you along time. If you have never fished for small mouth in that area, what I do is, I put a split shot about 10 inches up and put the bait on the first ring of a small hook, cast up river letting the current pull the bait down and reeling in slack. That Shanadoah River has more SmallMouth in it than any river that I have ever fished. Before I had my half dozen surgeries I would go to Bentonville and camp, did it every year for about 10 years. Sure wish I could do it again.. You oughtto give it a shot, I'm sure you wouldn't be dissapointed. Well so much for the huppla. Have a good one.
Old 11-28-05, 10:02 PM   #5
River stumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by River stumps
Scrap! Some good fishing from the banks, as long as you have access, go for it. I used to do alot of it in my younger days. You don't live too far from the Shanadoah Valley. If you ever get a chance and want to catch alot of small mouth, go there with altra lite spinning tackle, 6lb line. You will have to gather your bait Helgrimate (Spell check) They cling to the bottom of small rocks, Get about a dozen of those and they will last you along time. If you have never fished for small mouth in that area, what I do is, I put a split shot about 10 inches up and put the bait on the first ring of a small hook, cast up river letting the current pull the bait down and reeling in slack. That Shanadoah River has more SmallMouth in it than any river that I have ever fished. Before I had my half dozen surgeries I would go to Bentonville and camp, did it every year for about 10 years. Sure wish I could do it again.. You oughtto give it a shot, I'm sure you wouldn't be dissapointed. Well so much for the huppla. Have a good one.
Scrap>> Best time to go is in the later part of June.
Old 11-28-05, 10:16 PM   #6
KH.
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

ummm just for the record this is my first year fishin on a boat.i have done a couple of time this year but nothing major.yes,mostly june.the banks i fish are a set of 4 lakes seperated by spillways.these spillways are pretty much mimics of creek chanels.so thats the first place itry.a long time ago they nust of tore up the roads and built new ones.because on some roads between lakes theres rocks like you would not believe on two sides of one lake for about a eight of a mile.considering baits you would use for banks i use primarily spinnerbaits,tubes and worms,occasionally a topwater. by one spillway there is a bed of lily pads,in these lily pads they would tear up lizards. would they bite a frog??? no, but then i would throw a lizard and
they would smack it, i cant find a good article i read once but it had some good tips in it.
Old 11-28-05, 10:29 PM   #7
young bass catcher

Red face read me !!!

hey i am a young bass fisherman a a need a few tips, 1:i use a lot of lures that stay on the top but all the bass that i catch are small is that normal
i think that's it please HELP ME !!!!
Old 11-28-05, 10:32 PM   #8
lovinfishin9
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to lovinfishin9

I live right down the road from one boat ramp and about 5 mins away from another boat ramp on the shenandoah river. I fish that river alot. There are alot of nice smallmouth in there.
Old 11-28-05, 10:32 PM   #9
young bass catcher

Arrow rite me a letter

here'S my e mail stinkymigi@hotmail.com
Old 11-28-05, 10:36 PM   #10
KH.

check your mail bassman
Old 11-28-05, 10:46 PM   #11
Christopherkeene9

Thats all of the bass fishing I do. I believe the pond and lake system I fish would produce better for me if I had more access by boat but I have to work with what I have. About a 10 foot clearing for me on the pond and a pretty big one on the lake but no structure in these areas. I'll get pics next time I'm down at my holes.

Chris
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-05, 12:05 AM   #12
seaphantom

Send a message via AIM to seaphantom

Throw some little spinnerbaits into cover, preferrably in shadow. Try throwing brighter colors like bright green when the water is warm. When cold, if you're not as successful on the bright colors, try going more natural. Believe it or not, even trophy bass hit them. By little, I don't mean a beetl-spin, just a downsized willow-colorado leaf spinnerbait.

seaphantom
Old 12-04-05, 09:07 AM   #13
bassfisherman32
BassFishin.Com Member

i fish from the bank every time i go fishin except we just got a new little paddle boat for our pond. but i have luk from the bank
bassfisherman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-05, 02:16 PM   #14
skeeter944

i fish exclusivly from the bank. BassMasters and i are getting a jon boat in maybe the next year or so. his grandpa has a gas powered trolling motor that we can use. we always think we can catch more bass from a boat. we probaly could,but i have'nt fished a boat since my first few beginner casts,in which i caught my first bass, a 2 pounder. my neighbor has 3 and we will be fishing alot in the spring and next fall.i cant wait!!!!!!!!!!!
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-05, 02:47 PM   #15
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

If you're new to boat fishing, please be careful if both of you are standing fishing, and one angler sets the hook hard, it tends to rock the boat, and can throw the other angler off balance or even worse in the drink..have fun!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.