Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-08, 12:57 AM   #1
BassinBandit
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Motor Controls

I am having a problem w/ my evinrude motor it starting to get a low clicking sound in it. The guy who has worked on it said it will cost about 3800 to fix because its hard to tell whats causing it and more then likely they will have to tear the motor down. Well I am have been looking at getting a used motor but not sure if I can switch to just any motor with out messing with the controls. I read on a board that you can buy a adaptor to make it work. Does anybody know if this is true or where I can find a good deal on a 150-175hp motor.
Old 06-29-08, 01:06 PM   #2
boater

Used motors could possibly come with comtrols.I check a few and see. before bing an adapter used controls can be found on ebay cheaper than an new adapter.
boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-08, 04:05 PM   #3
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

If you could find a johnnyrude you may be able to keep your control box in place. Craigslist is one of the very best places to look for used motors.

Is your current motor running good? I mean is your problem just the clicking? How do you know its not something stupid and little?
Old 06-29-08, 04:37 PM   #4
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Bassin Bandit
Yes thee are adapters but very few and personally they aint worth the time nor the money. A good motor is not hard to find. Please explain whats going on and make sure that the boat shop aint trying to get into your pocket.
Old 06-29-08, 09:04 PM   #5
BassinBandit

What is happening is that a clicking is comming from the motor, It is in tune w/ the motor. Now as of yet I havent seen any performance issues. The boat shop I go to is saying that it might not ever blow it, it might happen next time I go out. They are pretty sure its not a rod but think it may just be a berring (sp?). We are thinking about getting a second opinion. It has ran good but I dont want to blow it up if it turns out to be a major problem.
Old 06-30-08, 05:28 AM   #6
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Ok if ya dontmind what have they done. They shouoda run a compression check and a leakdown. With those tests I can just about tell ya what lake the motor was run in last. Thiose 2 tests are the most valuable and informative tests on a motor and its workings without a teardown for visual inspection. Lemme know and we can go from there.
Old 06-30-08, 05:00 PM   #7
BassinBandit

The compression test came up great. But I am not sure about the leak test. I will have to find outI am not sure what that is.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.