Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-08, 04:06 PM   #1
Buzz Wing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing
Default Fantastic Fluoros

Skimming through the new In-Fisherman last night, the article "Fantastic Fluoros" really caught my attention.

In a nutshell, this article summed-up what Bass Addict had to say about his fluorocarbon test which he previoulsy posted. It showed Tackle Tour's, (www.tackletour.com), Pro Staffs'/Scientists' finding when it came to testing fluorocarbon. Most testing consisted of: knot strength, visibility, stress/strain under pressure, and abrasion-resistance. After reading this article cover-to-cover, (or rather page-to-page), I found myself stunned at what I did not know.

I was really impressed at how well In-Fisherman documented the prices, advantages/disadvantages, and statistcs of over five or six different lines. Did you know?
  • Berkley Vanish was originally made for tight-lining techniques associated with walleye and sauger?
This is one of plausible reasons that this line curled and freyed so bad on our bass tackle. According to Tim Wiedow, Senior Polymer Chemist for Pure Fishing, ".... Vanish was designed for walleye fishing and other techniques that lack the repetitive casting of heavy lures, fast retrieves, and crushing hooksets you expect in bass fishing".

I was very excited to learn about all the new lines on the market also. Trilene 100% Fluorocarbon, Stren 100% Fluorocarbon, Yo-Zuri Hybrid, Yo-Zuri Hybrid Ultra-Soft, Toray Super Hard UPGRADE, Sunline Super FC Sniper, P-Line Halo, Yo-Zuri 100% Fluorocarbon H20. All these new lines; all with thier own applications.

When you get a chance, pick-up the new In-Fisherman, (April/May 2008, Volume 33/Number 4), and read "Fantastic Fluoros" by Steve Quinn.

Source: In-Fisherman, Volume 33/Number 4, April/May, 2008, "Fantastic Fluoros", Page 34-40, written by Steve Quinn.
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-08, 05:26 PM   #2
fishin' fool
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I plan on reading that article tonight. The articles and the detail they give about each article is what makes In-fisherman one of the best fishing magazines by far!!!! I can honestly say In-fisherman gave me the foundation to my love, interest and knowledge of fishing!

What I like about Floro is its strength, so abrasion resistant, and isn't as seen by fish as well as other lines!!! Hands down my favorite line! Just wish it wasn't expensive!
fishin' fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-08, 08:46 AM   #3
links_man2

Haven't read the article, but have been using Vicious 15# Fluoro for about 4 months with no problems. Also found a supplier online that is currently running a Free Shipping Special on all orders. They have 15# 800 yd spools for $24.50 and 550 yd spools for $15.99. Those are the TOTAL price no shipping, no sales tax!

http://www.evercastlures.com/products.asp?cat=28
Old 03-28-08, 08:49 AM   #4
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I was thinkng about rtying Vicious since It's so much cheaper than all the rest of the Fluoros out there.

BB
Old 03-28-08, 10:28 AM   #5
basstech

Personally speaking, I'm not impressed with flourocarbon lines. I do a good share of crappie fishing and where I fish the norm is 80th and 100th oz. jigs. Using 2lb. test line, I find even though the flouro in that strength has a thinner line diameter than most it is still too stiff and tends to coil. It also is very brittle. It may have great tensile strength but abraids extremely easy and I get better feel with a different 2lb test line that has the same line diameter. I've also noticed the same thing with my bass spinning gear in all line sizes from 4 to 10 lb. test, I find a better limper/less memory line that has just a thin of diameter in a different line makeup. As much as flouro cost I personally feel it is vastly overrated.
Old 03-28-08, 12:25 PM   #6
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

The one fluorocarbon line that I like the most right now is XPS by BPS. I have tried several different kinds and this is the best for me so far. I'm not paying $24 for a 200 yr. spool of Gamma. I might try Triple Fish fluoro next. It's priced decent and seemed to test fairly well on Tackle Tours tests similar to the XPS. I won't test it in a tourney though. I'll try it at my "test ponds"! See if it holds up against big fish in heavy cover!
Old 03-28-08, 06:22 PM   #7
Patrick Krueger, Jr.

I also read the In-Fisherman article. I have to say again that it is by far the best fishing magazine and fishing show out there. The Lindner's show is a close second, but remember, they started In-Fisherman magazine.
Old 03-30-08, 10:07 PM   #8
senko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Wing View Post
When you get a chance, pick-up the new In-Fisherman, (April/May 2008, Volume 33/Number 4), and read "Fantastic Fluoros" by Steve Quinn.

Why not just read it in the store, soak up all the info, and save the money for another lure?
Old 03-31-08, 11:46 PM   #9
fishwrench
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to fishwrench Send a message via Yahoo to fishwrench

I've been fishing Cabelas brand Fluoro for the past few years. I believe - and I could be very wrong - that it's made by Seaguar. When I can't get to Cabelas, I drop the extra 6 bazillion dollars and pick up the Seaguar; seems to be exactly the same in look, feel, and use.

The new Trilene has caught my eye though...I may have to give that a whirl this year.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.