Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-09, 08:35 PM   #1
triton1369
BassFishin.Com Member

Default is a Triton 17 explorer too small for tourney

I am about to pull the trigger on my first bass boat and I am going for the triton explorer 17 and probably the 90 hp optimax. My question is if anyone else fish tourneys out of a 17 footer? I know lots of people who use 18-20, but cant say that Ive seen anyone fish a 17 footer. I know that the 18 footer is a little better in open water, but wouldnt the 17 make up for that in tight conditions in small coves and inlets?? Any help would be great Thanks Bill
triton1369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-09, 08:46 PM   #2
bassintom
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

It all depends on what type of waters you will be fishing.I used to use a 17ft Fisher bassboat in T's but found out it was not meant for fishing the Hudson River or really large bodies of water.
Old 03-22-09, 08:57 PM   #3
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

the smaller the boat the easier it manuvers in tight places.. imho you don't need anything bigger than an 18 footer unless you are fishing big bodies of water.. as tom said hudson or potomac rivers the cumberland or missippi santee cooper..

i use a 16 footer to fish the lakes around here.. and i may run anywhere from 4 miles to 13 miles at a time..

zooker
Old 03-22-09, 10:14 PM   #4
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

IMO I don't see why not. I think BASS and most sanctioned tourneys require 17' as a minimuim. I don't think I would want to sit on a large open body in 4' waves in one though. I fished a tourney earlier this year and there was a couple of cats in 14'. But they are just local "fruit jar" tourneys. It's not the size of the ship, it's the fisherman on the deck. hahahahaha
Old 03-22-09, 10:17 PM   #5
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
santee cooper..

zooker

fished in a 14' before..not badd.
Old 03-23-09, 10:19 AM   #6
MIbasser

No, not at all. I've been on a lot of different water in my 17 Explorer. I've been on Burt Lake (17,120 acres), Mullet Lake (16,704 acres), Higgins Lake (9,602), Houghton Lake (20,046) acres, Lake St. Clair & River. You just have to be smart about it. I plan on fishing Saginaw Bay for sure and maybe Erie as well this year. Now Have I had to stand on the step and hold my butt seat when a 40'er goes by with a 3' wake... I just plan on watching the wind/weather reports before I go out.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-09, 03:17 PM   #7
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

the tournament i was in yesterday gave the 18' explorer away to the winner, not a bad looking boat at all. anyways the worst part would probably be the boat ride at take off, if the tournament is very big and you aren't one of the first boats then it would be really rough. yesterday we were towards the end of the second flight, we were boat 195 out of 300. the water was rocking pretty good by the time we took off, we were in a champion 210 elite and at 70 mph that water was very big and very bumpy. i would say that boat would be fine though. i have fished a lot of smaller tourneys with 25 to 50 boats and it would have been fine in them.
Old 03-23-09, 03:38 PM   #8
MarcBorger
BassFishin.Com Member

I fish tournaments on the Potomac River in a 16'2" Skeeter SS90 with a 90hp Yamaha. While storage can be a pain (especially with two tackle bags and a cooler for lunch) I have no problem getting where I need to be and catching fish. I usually have one of the smallest boats and I usually am one of the last to launch but I still have a great time and can cover enough water. The biggest issue on boats that size becomes the gas tank, I only have a 12 gallon tank and I have to be very careful that I don't run too far and get stranded but if you pay attention you will be fine.
MarcBorger is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.