Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-09, 10:09 PM   #26
MrPhotographer06
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

hmm.. arent gamewardens and conservation officers the same thing?
Old 03-25-09, 10:27 PM   #27
bingham
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via Skype™ to bingham

yes, the exact same thing. i was just telling you you dont have to have military experience to be one. thats what im going to college to do, seems like somethin id really enjoy, pay isnt great, about like a police officer, here in bama anyway.
Old 03-25-09, 10:31 PM   #28
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIbasser View Post
Being an engineer (working in sales), I would say stay away from engineering for a while! Engineers are a dime a dozen right now. Now in 6 years will that change? It's hard to say, but I know a lot of people who are out of work trying to find jobs that were engineers for the auto industry.

Just something to think about.
I am a toolmaker by trade and with the rate that companies are shipping work over seas it is scary to think that a lot of positions like that might not be around in a few years , just food for thought .

jim
Old 03-25-09, 11:05 PM   #29
flbassman

Not tryin to steer you away, or jack your post, but think reeeaaaaallll hard first. That 5 grand is gonna add up quick. I was gonna do two years at a Christian college and then get an agriculture degree. I was POSITIVE that I was goin to that Christian school, and everybody gets in so I didn't apply anywhere else. Come to find out yesterday that even with an AA, I'll lose 30 credit hours when I go to state school. So now I'm stayin local, tryin to get into university of North Florida, but probably gonna wind up at the CC. Livin at home most likely. Not sayin it's good or bad, just sayin look hard, stuff changes. And that line bout work to live is 100% true. Your only at a decent job 40 hours a week. Get an MBA, six figures, buy a nice boat and a place on the water, and fish weekends and when you retire. Or get a bio degree. You'll be fine either way, life goes on.
Old 03-26-09, 07:04 AM   #30
MrPhotographer06

in SC it says you have to have the expereience..

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/law/lawenforcementapp.html

Quote:
An associate’s degree (or two years of college credit equating to 60 semester credit hours) combined with either two years of certified class 1 law enforcement experience or four years deputy law enforcement officer (DLEO) service or 2 years of active military service.
Old 03-26-09, 07:12 AM   #31
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Also getting a job as a game warden isnt as easy as it sounds. Lots of people apply for those jobs. Most states, especially ones with tight budgets (and boy does SC ever have that) sometimes even cut some of those positions or never hire the needed number to actually watch anything.
Old 03-26-09, 09:25 AM   #32
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

you gotta consider the obvious...if you're gonna be a game warden you're gonna have to be a dink most of the time....all the wardens I've ever met are total @-holes and even tho I'm always 100% legal they always try to find something.... I have two police officers in my family and they both said that the first 5 years sucks cause all you do is run around in the cruiser for 12 hours a day writing tickets and getting *****ed at....Also, as WTL said when a state makes cuts it always seems to impact the wildlife and fisheries first...we have cut our wardens almost in half over the past 10 years
Old 03-26-09, 09:34 AM   #33
jcw1503
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

thats true about SC....WE are hit so much with budget cuts....we have cut like 20% of our teachers and even if some retire or quit they are not aloud to hire any more teachers they just put more kids in the classrooms that are left. The reason i say that is because before the cut education they cute wildlife...so the budget cuts are probably killing them....Maybe thats why i haven't seen a DNR officer around here in quite a while!!!! They use to come by the lake here every other day and 2 or 3 times on saturdays...I haven't seen him but once so far!!!!
Old 03-26-09, 02:17 PM   #34
aikenyounggun

make sure that you really love it b/c if 20 years down the road fishin has been replaced will you still like your job..... i thought about the same option too, but im pretty sure im gonna take engineering (probably mechanical).... whatever make sure you cant stick with it and love it... im glad im only a freshman so i have some time
Old 03-26-09, 02:19 PM   #35
MrPhotographer06

hahaha yeah most likely i'm going to the navy and doing the mehanical engineering.. lol

its so funny aiken.. arent you still in school

i'm already out and at home.. lol we dismiss at 2:00

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.