Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-17-09, 04:04 PM   #1
1600TF
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Help - new bass boater, engine or planing issues.

Boat is Bass Tracker 1600TF fiberglass boat. Engine is a 110 Johnson power tilt/trim(boat is rated for 115 max). Has stringray hydrofoil on it. Stainless Renegade Bass Prop.

I think im either having motor problems or planing problems..

First off, i always trim all the way down before moving from a stop position.

The engine acts odd at times. Outboard always starts and runs everyday on the water, but i get times when the outboard seems to shake, and then shaking disappears and it runs great after several runs.

In neutral, the outboard revs high just fine. But when in gear moving forward, i run into times where i try to gun it WOT to get out the hole and the engine will only get to 3000rpm and bow is straight up in air, and then if i back off and attempt several retries, it will finally eventually climb into the higher rpms to get boat on plane, and once it planes she has no problems at all moving and boat runs excellent.

This planing off issue and engine rpm problem happens intermittently and i'm wondering if my engine is the problem, the setup or the prop is the cause. Would the wrong prop cause this type of problem with rpms or planing? And how do i tell what kind of prop pitch or what not it is? Is their some kind of marking on it that i can report back to you all?

This is my first bass boat so i am new to all of this, but i am mechanically inclined to fix this and have the OMC manual to test the engine if i need to go that far into engine tuning.

Planing off the boat seems to always take at least 7-10 secs to finally plane off even when i feel outboard is running good and dont have any issues coming up on plane. Is this normal or should i be planing off sooner with the engine setup i have?

I plan to take pictures of the motor setup and how its rigged on the boat so i can get some bass boat experts to help me cure this problem. I'm hoping 1FastLaser comes in here, he seems to be the most knowledgeable about these types of issues. Please help and hello guys.
1600TF is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.