Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-10, 02:38 PM   #26
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_Bruiser View Post
I lost a childhood, fishing and hunting buddy a couple of years ago to an illegal hitting him and then running. When they caught him though and wanted to charge him, he didn't want any part of the sentence. He wanted to be deported back to his home and tried in Mexico. He wanted to be over here so bad, but didn't want to pay the justice for his actions. I know this is a little off center, but the nation is like a sponge, but it is not squeezing any of the bad out and catering to the masses and their feelings. Wake up American...Pitts
That's a great analogy Bubba. This nation is made up of a diverse group of people with diverse cultural backgrounds. The fusion of all those cultures makes America what it is and gives it an identity that is completely unique to us. The key word is fusion, when people refuse to join the group and fail to contribute to the nation culturally and fiscally, it's a problem. The millions of untaxed dollars that leave this country is a problem.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-10, 06:02 PM   #27
islandbass

Perhaps when we as a country formally declare English as the accepted national language, you folks might get somewhere. I might be mistaken, but I don't think the USA has ever officially put English as our official language. They ought to, certainly.

Next, before we start pointing fingers, perhaps we should also become leaders and masters of English. Making demands on those that aren't U.S. Citizens to speak English when a good percentage of our fellow citizens can't even tell me what a gerund or past participle is, or what the nominative case is, holds no weight and is utterly laughable.

I apologize, but it is a peeve of mine that so many of us don't know English as well as we should or demand of others. You can prove me wrong, but I don't believe anyone can.

I like the title of this post and I hope that we learn English.
Old 04-30-10, 06:47 PM   #28
1/4 stick

Personally I think if we really think about it and get down to the nitty gritty of what should have been or be our national language, we'd all to need to learn a native americian language. Maybe Cheerokee or Mohican.

But then, we ran the mexicans out of Texas and California too didn't we?

Just a different way to look at it. The language doesn't bother me so much as it just shouldn't be so easy for anybody to run across the border.

wa-do
Old 04-30-10, 07:00 PM   #29
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/4 stick View Post
we'd all to need to learn a native americian language. Maybe Cheerokee or Mohican.
"mohawk" even..

zooker
Old 04-30-10, 07:05 PM   #30
1/4 stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
"mohawk" even..

zooker
Aint that what Mohican is?
Old 04-30-10, 07:12 PM   #31
zooker

no mohican's lived on the upper east coast-delaware,maryland,dc,jersey-they kinda were the northern lumbee..

mohawks were part of indian "league" they lived in and around the buffalo/rochester area..

zooker
Old 04-30-10, 07:14 PM   #32
WTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
Perhaps when we as a country formally declare English as the accepted national language, you folks might get somewhere. I might be mistaken, but I don't think the USA has ever officially put English as our official language. They ought to, certainly.

Next, before we start pointing fingers, perhaps we should also become leaders and masters of English. Making demands on those that aren't U.S. Citizens to speak English when a good percentage of our fellow citizens can't even tell me what a gerund or past participle is, or what the nominative case is, holds no weight and is utterly laughable.

I apologize, but it is a peeve of mine that so many of us don't know English as well as we should or demand of others. You can prove me wrong, but I don't believe anyone can.

Islandbass, I respectfully disagree.

And I will admit, I forget what a gerund is. I would fail an 11th grade exam on english.

There is a difference between insisting that people in this country are capable of speaking in a fashion that is broadly understandable, and insisting that people speak the King's English. The only reason I would suggest that we insist on broken english is to make emergency situations a little safer and perhaps make opportunity more widespread for children born into immigrant communities.

While I wish in general people in our country were better educated, for %75 of the people and %75 of the jobs, those skills just arent needed. In short, some english seems to be a practical necessity, but perfect english seems to be a mere personal preference. I could see the use in trying to push the necessity on people, but not the preference.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-10, 07:26 PM   #33
1/4 stick

Quote:
no mohican's lived on the upper east coast-delaware,maryland,dc,jersey-they kinda were the northern lumbee..

mohawks were part of indian "league" they lived in and around the buffalo/rochester area..

zooker
Thanks. Learn something new everyday.
Old 04-30-10, 07:47 PM   #34
nofearengineer

Quote:
But then, we ran the mexicans out of Texas and California too didn't we?
Well, strictly speaking, the Texans ran the Mexicans out of Texas, and then they joined us. And Santa Anna basically sold us California (albeit at the point of a gun after losing the war ). This has basically been the lawyer in me talking.

Oh yeah, I don't necessarily need immigrants to know what a past participle is, or how to conjugate a verb, but if they didn't have to press the picture of a cheeseburger on the McDonalds cash register, rather than be able to read "cheeseburger", that would be okay with me.
Old 04-30-10, 08:08 PM   #35
1/4 stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Oh yeah, I don't necessarily need immigrants to know what a past participle is, or how to conjugate a verb, but if they didn't have to press the picture of a cheeseburger on the McDonalds cash register, rather than be able to read "cheeseburger", that would be okay with me.
I'm with you. It'd tickle me to death if, just once, Mickey D's would get my order right. I really don't care if they say it in english or Ubbidubbi. Just give me the food I ordered. Surley I'm not the first customer they've heard "no pickle" from! lol
Old 04-30-10, 08:59 PM   #36
bamabassman

Island , i think i understand what oyu are saying. Correct me if i am wrong ok? i will not be offended or anything, just want to understand. you correctly pal. you are saying we need to learn PROPER english? i will have to tell you that is an impossiblity my friend. we are a nation of so many different slangs and dylect. I DO think we should declare english as our national language. But lookat what has happened already in AZ. if we did something lie this, it will cause MORE protests and stuff. general patton said in a speech to some english ladies (yes i saw the movie and remembered this,lol. sue me, lmao.) he said "We are a common people seperated by a common language." this is true today here in america. we are the melting pot of the world. we ahve been dealing with this since we started, ain't gonna end anytime soon. IF i had a choice of languages, it would be CREEK indian, hahaha. my ancesters. but that will never happen either. As for the politicians in alabama.............NOT A SINGLE ONE IS NON CORRUPT. i don't that there is a politician in this country who is truthfull and honest and wanting what is best for the ENTIRE nation. NOT ONE.

side note, i hate politics and religious talk and TRY to avoid it if possible. i ain't well schooled but only have some common sense, (pun intended) and that is the truth, hahahahahahaha!
Old 04-30-10, 09:13 PM   #37
1/4 stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
Island , i think i understand what oyu are saying. Correct me if i am wrong ok? i will not be offended or anything, just want to understand. you correctly pal. you are saying we need to learn PROPER english? i will have to tell you that is an impossiblity my friend. we are a nation of so many different slangs and dylect. I DO think we should declare english as our national language. But lookat what has happened already in AZ. if we did something lie this, it will cause MORE protests and stuff. general patton said in a speech to some english ladies (yes i saw the movie and remembered this,lol. sue me, lmao.) he said "We are a common people seperated by a common language." this is true today here in america. we are the melting pot of the world. we ahve been dealing with this since we started, ain't gonna end anytime soon. IF i had a choice of languages, it would be CREEK indian, hahaha. my ancesters. but that will never happen either. As for the politicians in alabama.............NOT A SINGLE ONE IS NON CORRUPT. i don't that there is a politician in this country who is truthfull and honest and wanting what is best for the ENTIRE nation. NOT ONE.

side note, i hate politics and religious talk and TRY to avoid it if possible. i ain't well schooled but only have some common sense, (pun intended) and that is the truth, hahahahahahaha!
Common sense, politics, and religion? You may find politics in religion, and religion in politics....

But you will never see much, if any, common sense in either one.
Old 04-30-10, 11:30 PM   #38
bcklash

If you live in our country, you should speak our language. If you can't get the hell back in your own little cubby hole.. nuff said
Old 05-01-10, 04:39 AM   #39
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
Islandbass, I respectfully disagree.

And I will admit, I forget what a gerund is. I would fail an 11th grade exam on english.

There is a difference between insisting that people in this country are capable of speaking in a fashion that is broadly understandable, and insisting that people speak the King's English. The only reason I would suggest that we insist on broken english is to make emergency situations a little safer and perhaps make opportunity more widespread for children born into immigrant communities.

While I wish in general people in our country were better educated, for %75 of the people and %75 of the jobs, those skills just arent needed. In short, some english seems to be a practical necessity, but perfect english seems to be a mere personal preference. I could see the use in trying to push the necessity on people, but not the preference.

Buddy, if I had an English test, you'd pass it! I don't disagree with your point about the need to have minimal communication skills. In retrospect, I think I could have been more succinct in saying if we insist on others learning our language (and we should by all means) it would behoove us as citizens of this great country to follow suit.

@ bama - it's the journey. I agree with you on declaring it the national language. They ought to, because it's the only language I know.
Old 05-01-10, 07:40 AM   #40
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
Sometimes not knowing English can lead to disaster.

Oh, I don't know.....I know several people that this could probably help
Old 05-01-10, 07:42 AM   #41
MallenManson

Quote:
waffle
the citizenship test could not be past by 25% of native born americans..and beside it cost $5k and 10 years before a mexican national can even get to take the naturaliztion test..after passing the test a naturalized citizen can/will be a deported for a dui..

however iffin ya don't know both porta rico and el salvador are territories of the US. both of which speak spanish both of which are consitered american citizens by immagration..

zooker

That is one seriously strong argument right there. Great point!
Old 05-01-10, 07:46 AM   #42
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post

You're getting a little out there, don't ya think?
I was a straight A student in all my English classes, but 23 years later, in all honesty, I'd hafta look those terms up.
There's a difference between the ability to speak the language and the ability to diagram a sentence.
Old 05-01-10, 07:52 AM   #43
MallenManson

Quote:
I'm with you. It'd tickle me to death if, just once, Mickey D's would get my order right. I really don't care if they say it in english or Ubbidubbi. Just give me the food I ordered. Surley I'm not the first customer they've heard "no pickle" from! lol

Haha. McDonald's screwin up your order isn't ethnicty or language based. The only illegal aliens living around here work the farms, yet McDonald's still mistakes chicken sammitch for double cheeseburger.
Maybe they should introduce that old kids learning game. Can't think of the name, but the one where you press the cow, and it goes "Moooooooo..."
Old 05-01-10, 09:04 AM   #44
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
you are saying we need to learn PROPER english? i will have to tell you that is an impossiblity my friend. we are a nation of so many different slangs and dylect. I DO think we should declare english as our national language.
please note proper english would /is be the same as kings english-see also the UK..as staed above english like spanish has many differant slangs and versions there of..i do agree that as a country we need to set the national language into law..i personally don't give a hairy frogs but what language it is..

Quote:
and this is the reason i go to hardees cause a monster burger has no pickels..

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Well, strictly speaking, the Texans ran the Mexicans out of Texas, and then they joined us. And Santa Anna basically sold us California (albeit at the point of a gun after losing the war ). This has basically been the lawyer in me talking.
i need to point out that texans did NOT run out the mexicans. they ran out the "mexican army".. the mexicans most of which stayed in texas are called "texicans"

i belive it was texas,arizona,new mexico,and califora that was umm"taken" at the point of a gun from santa anna..though i am possitive we could give califorie back-if mexico would even take it-with out much great loss on our part..
i am sure that the green weenies would only protest once..mexico has a way of dealing with protesters-the old shoot them all let the survivors bury the bodies thing-

zooker
Old 05-01-10, 09:10 AM   #45
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
You're getting a little out there, don't ya think?
I was a straight A student in all my English classes, but 23 years later, in all honesty, I'd hafta look those terms up.
There's a difference between the ability to speak the language and the ability to diagram a sentence.
That's kinda my thought too. I was a straight A student in all honors classes when I was in school some years ago. I do try really hard to make sure my posts aren't full of grammatical and spelling errors, sometimes I'm successful, sometimes not.

Unless you grew up to be a English Professor you probably don't remember what a gerund is. I don't remember half of what I learned in A.P Physics or Calculus either.

I'm pretty sure I speak English though!
Old 05-01-10, 09:27 AM   #46
Jrob78

Quote:
i belive it was texas,arizona,new mexico,and califora that was umm"taken" at the point of a gun from santa anna..though i am possitive we could give califorie back-if mexico would even take it-with out much great loss on our part..

zooker
The Republic of Texas gained it's independence from Mexico during the Texas Revolution without help from the U.S. The Republic existed from 1836-1846.

Texas was Annexed into the U.S in 1485. The Mexican-American war lasted from 1846-1848, it established the southern border of Texas.

The U.S assumed the Republics debt in exchange for parts of Kansas, New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming and Oklahoma, making Texas the smaller size it is today.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.