Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-08, 08:17 PM   #1
Buzz Wing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing
Default What would you do here???

Sometime next week I plan on buying a St. Croix Premier Spinning, 7', medium power, fast-action, for only $100 at our local tackle store. After taxes, this will be a better deal than buying from the maker due to shipping, handling, etc...

That's not the hard part.... I plan on using this rod for most, if not all of my walleye fishing tactics, but I also think it would be a killer Shakey Head Rod. What would you do in this situation?? Would you:
  • Use my already-owned St. Croix Wild River Spinning, 7'6'', medium-lite, fast-action, for a walleye rod and use my soon-to-be rod for Drop-Shot's/Shakey Heads? or...
  • Use my already-owned rod for a Drop-Shot/Shakey Head Rod and use my new one for walleye fishing? or...
  • Use my already-owned rod for Drop-Shot's, use my soon-to-be rod for Shakey Heads and for walleye fishing, then use them both when walleye or bass fishing. (Example: I'm walleye fishing; use my already-owned rod for jigs and my soon-to-be rod for cranks --- I'm bass fishing; use my already-owned rod for a Drop-Shot Rod and my soon-to-be rod for Shakey Heads. Get it? Use them both when targeting certain species...)
What would you do in this situation? Also, what reel would you choose, (spinning), based on your choice?

Thanks in advance,

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-08, 08:34 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Most of the time, buying from the manufacturer is more expnsive since they charge MFSR, and most places don't. Check outthe prices of Abu reels on their website compared to BPS, TW, or Cabelas.

As for which rods to use for what: I'd use the wild river to DS and Shakey, and the new one for walleye because the line you should be using for finesse bass fishing is a lot different from what you should be using for walleyes.

just my opinion though.

BB
Old 04-08-08, 08:58 PM   #3
MIbasser

If it were me, I would go to BPS and buy the Pflueger President/Extreme XPS rod combo. It's on sale for $99.88. That way you get a really good rod AND reel for the price of just one rod. My $0.02.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-08, 09:15 PM   #4
Buzz Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIbasser View Post
If it were me, I would go to BPS and buy the Pflueger President/Extreme XPS rod combo. It's on sale for $99.88. That way you get a really good rod AND reel for the price of just one rod. My $0.02.
Although it does sound like a good deal, I'm not one to buy 'store brand' rods, although most are made of the same materials used by major rod retailers. Don't ask, I'm just iffy when it comes to the whole brand-name, store-name tags. I do like that reel though...

-Buzz
Old 04-08-08, 09:44 PM   #5
Buzz Wing

Couple reel ideas, (in order of most-wanted to less-wanted):

1) http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...333&hasJS=true

2) http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...333&hasJS=true

3) http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...333&hasJS=true

4) http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...333&hasJS=true

-Buzz
Old 04-09-08, 03:46 PM   #6
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

As for store brand rods, BPS rods are good rods. I have a Pro Qualifier and a Johnny Morris Sig., and no complaints about either.

As for the reels: I've neverused Pfleuger spinning reels. Shimano makes a great reel. I've heard the Symetre is just as good as the Saros, but less expensive. An finally, Abu garcia also makes agood spinning reel. I've had my Cardinal 300 for over 4 years, never oiled it yet, and it's still running smooth. And it was only 30 bucks!
IMO, the Symetre would be your best bet there.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.